What other security programs should I have?

At "ask Leo", he recommends a lot of different programs:

http://ask-leo.com/what_security_software_..._recommend.html

I already have:

Malwarebytes paid version.

Avira free version.

Windows XP firewall.

Do I need to get Microsoft Defender or Spybot Search and Destroy?

Are those programs (Defender and Spybot) compatable with Malwarebytes?

Thanks for help.

Hello again nottotechy :)

SpyBot is great for immunization (which is basically what the HOSTS file will do, which I will get to in a moment) but running it in realtime is not of much help these days unfortunately because the definitions are updated infrequently and also TeaTimer is rather bloated these days. Since you already have Mbam pro running in realtime you're all set with realtime spyware/anti malware protection.

On top of what you already have, I highly recommend a HOSTS file. I use HostsMan for my HOSTS file manager and I would be happy to assist you with directions on how to install it and answer questions you may have about using it.

What a HOSTS file does, particularly in this case, is block baddie websites (including most advertisements) so that your computer never has a chance go to them. It's an awesome little program and its a great addition to your protection arsenal if you choose to use it.

Let me know if you are interested :)

Again, just as a note, please use the ADD REPLY button when replying.

Hi, nottootechy. I'm sure everyone has their own notions of what is "necessary," but I think you've got the basics pretty well covered. You've got an antivirus program, a firewall (though I think the XP firewall doesn't report on outgoing traffic, just incoming -- you might want to consider one that pays attention to traffic in both directions), and MBAM Pro. That's really quite adequate for most people's needs. As you can see from my signature file, the only item I've added to that is WinPatrol Plus, which is great for keeping watch over programs that try to do things like insert themselves into your startup list without your permission and lots more. But is it necessary? Well, I think it is--for me. But that's a decision each person needs to make for him/herself.

I might add that I occasionally run a scan with Spybot or with SuperAntiSpyware (the free version), but for day-to-day activity, I use just my antivirus, my firewall, MBAM Pro, and WinPatrol Plus. As for the other programs you asked about, Spybot will work with MBAM as long as only MBAM is running in real time (i.e., don't use Spybot's TeaTimer feature, since it too runs in real time). I have no experience with Defender and thus can't comment on that.

Hope this helps.

Hi -

I have a similar setup to what you are running (make sure you have XP SP3 fully updated) but I also run HostsMan as mountaintree16 has added -

This blocks many minor ads that occur on other wise good sites - I also use SUPERAntiSpyware just to remove any tracking cookies that are missed -

The other one is a cleaner like CCleaner or ATF Cleaner to remove unwanted, bulky, unused, downloaded remains -

Thank You - :)

nottootechy go to My Controls then Edit Signature in Personal Profile then add system information like my signature so that helpers can offer pertinent advice.

WinPatrol Free is a good addition to Malwarebytes and your anti virus and the PLUS version is even better.

WinPatrol Free vs PLUS

http://www.winpatrol.com/compare.html

Windows Defender on XP is a waste of system resources.

Hello again nottotechy :)

SpyBot is great for immunization (which is basically what the HOSTS file will do, which I will get to in a moment) but running it in realtime is not of much help these days unfortunately because the definitions are updated infrequently and also TeaTimer is rather bloated these days. Since you already have Mbam pro running in realtime you're all set with realtime spyware/anti malware protection.

On top of what you already have, I highly recommend a HOSTS file. I use HostsMan for my HOSTS file manager and I would be happy to assist you with directions on how to install it and answer questions you may have about using it.

What a HOSTS file does, particularly in this case, is block baddie websites (including most advertisements) so that your computer never has a chance go to them. It's an awesome little program and its a great addition to your protection arsenal if you choose to use it.

Let me know if you are interested :)

Again, just as a note, please use the ADD REPLY button when replying.

Thanks mountaintree, that sounds great! :)

I can't do it tonight, maybe tomorrow night you can help me with that? Thanks so much! :)

I wanted to apologize to you for my impatience in the other thread. :)

I was VERY frustrated, confused, basically lost here, and unaware of the protocol.

So sorry. (((hugs)))

Hi, nottootechy. I'm sure everyone has their own notions of what is "necessary," but I think you've got the basics pretty well covered. You've got an antivirus program, a firewall (though I think the XP firewall doesn't report on outgoing traffic, just incoming -- you might want to consider one that pays attention to traffic in both directions), and MBAM Pro. That's really quite adequate for most people's needs. As you can see from my signature file, the only item I've added to that is WinPatrol Plus, which is great for keeping watch over programs that try to do things like insert themselves into your startup list without your permission and lots more. But is it necessary? Well, I think it is--for me. But that's a decision each person needs to make for him/herself.

I might add that I occasionally run a scan with Spybot or with SuperAntiSpyware (the free version), but for day-to-day activity, I use just my antivirus, my firewall, MBAM Pro, and WinPatrol Plus. As for the other programs you asked about, Spybot will work with MBAM as long as only MBAM is running in real time (i.e., don't use Spybot's TeaTimer feature, since it too runs in real time). I have no experience with Defender and thus can't comment on that.

Hope this helps.

Good advice, thanks! I will try the WinPatrol, sounds good! :)

You're welcome! I'll start another thread over in the PC Help forum to assist you with that, since that's really where it would belong :) I'll PM you the link.

I won't really be able to help you out with this tomorrow night but no worries, I'll start the thread tomorrow afternoon and PM you the link and we can go from there :)

It's okay. Thank you much though, I appreciate it :) *hug back*

I should have explained it in better detail to you but sometimes I just plum forget things. And just for the record, I wasn't trying to reprimand you or anything, so I do apologize if it came off that way at all. I certainly wasn't trying to do so.

Hi -

I have a similar setup to what you are running (make sure you have XP SP3 fully updated) but I also run HostsMan as mountaintree16 has added -

This blocks many minor ads that occur on other wise good sites - I also use SUPERAntiSpyware just to remove any tracking cookies that are missed -

The other one is a cleaner like CCleaner or ATF Cleaner to remove unwanted, bulky, unused, downloaded remains -

Thank You - :)

Oh thank you! The tech who helped me in the other forum, Dave, he recommended the ATF Cleaner or CCleaner, so I will have to get that for sure!

You're welcome! I'll start another thread over in the PC Help forum to assist you with that, since that's really where it would belong :) I'll PM you the link.

I won't really be able to help you out with this tomorrow night but no worries, I'll start the thread tomorrow afternoon and PM you the link and we can go from there :)

No rush, I'm fine. Computer is humming right along. :) Anytime is fine.

It's okay. Thank you much though, I appreciate it :) *hug back*

I should have explained it in better detail to you but sometimes I just plum forget things. And just for the record, I wasn't trying to reprimand you or anything, so I do apologize if it came off that way at all. I certainly wasn't trying to do so.

You did fine, you were very kind and helpful. I was just at my wits end. :)

It wasn't you, it was me. I was beside myself with worry. I've since calmed down.

I'm very new to this, and uninformed, and it is frightening to be in that situation.

I have a better understanding of this board now, so, hopefully, I won't be such a pain in the future. :)

nottootechy go to My Controls then Edit Signature in Personal Profile then add system information like my signature so that helpers can offer pertinent advice.

WinPatrol Free is a good addition to Malwarebytes and your anti virus and the PLUS version is even better.

WinPatrol Free vs PLUS

http://www.winpatrol.com/compare.html

Windows Defender on XP is a waste of system resources.

Very good advice about putting something in my sig, thanks! I'll try and do that, maybe tomorrow.

nottootechy,

:)

Actually, I am starting one for you right now, sans the HostsMan (I'll assist you with that tomorrow still) but in the meantime I will be starting off with directions for ATF Cleaner & CCleaner. And then a few other things I am willing to bet you definitely need to do (update programs such as Java, Adobe Reader & Flash, etc...).

So expect a PM with the link shortly, or I can post it here. Let me know which you prefer :)

Well thank you again :) I totally understand; I have gotten so frustrated and everything with computers before, trust me!

It's definitely frightening. But now you're here and there is a vast wealth of information to be had on this forum and many people who are able to help you, staff and volunteers alike :)

I see a lot of programs that block bad ip's/hosts using the hosts file etc...

Why not use another DNS provider? I believe OpenDNS has this kind of feature that you can tick catagories to block including malicous websites

So expect a PM with the link shortly, or I can post it here. Let me know which you prefer :)

Either way is fine, thanks so much.

Well thank you again :) I totally understand; I have gotten so frustrated and everything with computers before, trust me!

It's definitely frightening. But now you're here and there is a vast wealth of information to be had on this forum and many people who are able to help you, staff and volunteers alike :)

I suddenly feel like I am in "safe arms"! Many many thanks! Do we have a huggy smile?

(((((hugs)))))

You're most welcome.

A huggy smile would be good! Msn messenger and yahoo messenger both have one, but not on here :) heh.

Whenever you are ready, please clicky here:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=242394

One more thing here nottootechy, that I meant to post before, and should have,

Are you finished working with IndiGenus in the malware removal forum? If not, please finish with IndiGenus first and we can pick up afterwards :)

nottootechy,

Just wanted to see if you would still like assistance? Two posts above this one is the link where I started a new thread to assist you :angry: