ave.exe; Vista security malware - is my comp clean now?

I discovered my Vista-running laptop had a malware problem earlier this evening - I forgot the name but it was like Vista Security Center or something "official" sounding. I used a program to kill the process, but found a process called ave.exe instead (which I killed).

Anyway, I was able to run Malwarebytes and my system seems to be clean. I ran HijackThis just to be sure (the log is below).

The programs I typically have running are Google Chrome, Log Me In, Launchy, RocketDock and Prey (in addition to the MSE). I installed Avast but when I tried to start the program, it wouldn't start. I'm thinking I should probably uninstall the program (I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed; I just downloaded AVG, but haven't installed that yet - not sure if I should stick with MSE or try AVG).

So... is my system clean? Anything I should fix? Thanks in advance for your help!

Lulu

-----------------------------------------------

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 12:17:44 AM, on 4/28/2010

Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18349)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\IAAnotif.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Launchy\Launchy.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\HpqSRmon.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP wireless Assistant\WiFiMsg.EXE

C:\Prey\cron.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\HpqToaster.exe

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\conime.exe

C:\Users\Lulu\AppData\Local\Google\Update\1.2.183.23\GoogleCrashHandler.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

C:\Users\Lulu\AppData\Local\Google\Google Talk Plugin\googletalkplugin.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...ion&pf=cnnb

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...ion&pf=cnnb

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a...ion&pf=cnnb

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5555

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =

O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {340a88cd-3114-4558-b9d1-50fb1d5d0a77} - mudupani.dll (file missing)

O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll

O2 - BHO: HP Smart BHO Class - {FFFFFFFF-CF4E-4F2B-BDC2-0E72E116A856} - C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Show Xmlbar Toolbar - {6B896ADB-4A82-46e2-858C-13134782CE34} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Xmlbar\FLV Downloader\IEBar\xbietb.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [uCam_Menu] "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\YouCam\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\YouCam" update "Software\CyberLink\YouCam\2.0"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpqSRMon] C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSRMon.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Prey Laptop Tracker] c:\Prey\cron.exe --log

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast5] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast5\avastUI.exe /nogui

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RocketDock] "C:\Program Files (x86)\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\Lulu\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [siniratija] Rundll32.exe "zowolage.dll",s (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

O4 - Startup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Fading Rose and welcome to MalwareBytes forums.

Have you resolved your issues on your own?

Stick with MS Security Essentials. Do not install AVG or any second antivirus program. Having more than 1 active antivirus program leads to serious deadlocks.

You need to do some followups.

Given that this is a Vista system, on most all of the following programs and tools, you will need to do a right-click on the program link or shortcut or desktop icon (as appropriate) and then select "Run as Administrator". Please remember that as you go along and use these tools, each in turn.

Step 1

De-install the version of Hijackthis that you have. There's a newer release of HJT.

Download and SAVE HijackThis

Save the HJT to your desktop or the folder of your choice, then navigate to that folder and double-click Hijackthis.exe to start it.

Do a "System Scan only".

Look for these lines and place a checkmark against each of the following, if still present

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5555

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [siniratija] Rundll32.exe "zowolage.dll",s (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

Click on Fix Checked when finished and exit HijackThis.

Make sure your Internet Explorer (& or any other window) is closed when you click Fix Checked!

Step 2

1. Go >> Here << and download ERUNT

(ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)

2. Install ERUNT by following the prompts

(use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)

3. Start ERUNT

(either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)

4. Choose a location for the backup

(the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).

5. Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked

6. Press OK

7. Press YES to create the folder.

Step 3

Show all files:

• Click the Start button, and then click Computer.
  • On the Organize menu, click Folder and Search Options.
  • Click the View tab.
  • Locate and uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Locate and uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
  • Locate and click Show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Apply > OK.

Step 4

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop

• Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • IF prompted to Reboot, reply "Yes".

Step 5

Using Internet Explorer browser only, go to ESET Online Scanner website:

Vista users should start IE by Start (Vista Orb) >> Internet Explorer >> Right-Click and select Run As Administrator.

• Accept the Terms of Use and press Start button;
  • Approve the install of the required ActiveX Control, then follow on-screen instructions;
  • Enable (check) the Remove found threats option, and run the scan.
  • After the scan completes, the Details tab in the Results window will display what was found and removed.
    • A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.

Look at contents of this file using Notepad or Wordpad.

The Frequently Asked Questions for ESET Online Scanner can be viewed here

http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/cac4.php?page=faq

• From ESET Tech Support: If you have ESET NOD32 installed, you should disable it prior to running this scanner.
      Otherwise the scan will take twice as long to do:
      everytime the ESET online scanner opens a file on your computer to scan it, NOD32 on your machine will rescan the file as a result.
    • It is emphasized to temporarily disable any pc-resident {active} antivirus program prior to any on-line scan by any on-line scanner.
      (And the prompt re-enabling when finished.)
    • If you use Firefox, you have to install IETab, an add-on. This is to enable ActiveX support.

Step 6

Download OTL by OldTimer to your desktop: http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.exe

• Close all open windows on the Task Bar. Click the icon (for Vista, right click the icon and Run as Administrator) to start the program.
  • In the lower right corner of the Top Panel, checkmark "LOP Check" and checkmark "Purity Check".
  • Now click Run Scan at Top left and let the program run uninterrupted. It will take about 4 minutes.
  • It will produce two logs for you, one will pop up called OTL.txt, the other will be saved on your desktop and called Extras.txt.
  • Exit Notepad. Remember where you've saved these 2 files as we will need both of them shortly!
  • Exit OTL by clicking the X at top right.

Download Security Check by screen317 and save it to your Desktop: here or here

• Run Security Check
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the command window.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; close Notepad. We will need this log, too, so remember where you've saved it!

eusa_hand.gifIf one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Then copy/paste the following into your post (in order):

• the contents of ESET scan log
  • the contents of OTL.txt
  • the contents of Extras.txt
  • the contents of checkup.txt

Be sure to do a Preview prior to pressing Submit because all reports may not fit into 1 single reply. You may have to do more than 1 reply.

Do not use the attachment feature to place any of your reports. Always put them in-line inside the body of reply.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!