ANZAC Day

noknojon

Today is Sunday April 25 - ANZAC Day -

In Australia and New Zealand we remember those who have fallen in the wars - Based from the Gallipolli invasion in WW 1

ANZAC Day – 25 April – is probably Australia's most important national occasion.

It marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them."

Lest We Forget -

I'm from Melbourne so right in the middle of ANZAC day... Seeing Buttons note, we should be really proud that in Australia each year we make this much effort to remember the Soldiers who have fought for Australia..

I'm relatively young, well 28, but young in regards to any major wars that have occurred... But the more I watch movies and tv series about war, the more and more I appreciate what people went through to keep the World free, and what ANZAC day is all about.

The new tv show "The Pacific" really gives you a fair idea of what it took to keep Australia from being invaded by Japan, and had these soldiers not given so much, the world today could look completely different.. Every year I get more and more appreciation for that..

When I was in high school all they did was make an announcement. :) My Grandpa fought in the Korean War and thats all he gets? He put his life on the line and all he gets is an announcement? The way our country treats it's previous veterans makes it hard to believe more people are willing to defend our rights. It is truly awful how they are thanked for risking everything for us. :)

Well, this is a sad thing. Three of our Defence Force pilots died today when their helicopter came down on the way to Anzac Day celebrations. What a cruel twist... Here is the article for anyone interested: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3620627/An...ash-kills-three

So three more people we need to pay our respects to today in NZ. :)

I'm sorry to read about the pilots who died when their helicopter crashed, catscomputer. It would have been a tragedy whenever it happened, but for it to have happened at this particular time makes it even more poignant. May they rest in peace.

I've already replied to one of the other ANZAC Day posts, so I won't repeat myself here.