Norton Power Eraser

Slam Dunkley

I read a post on Wilders Security Forum.

The creator of this post implied that Norton's new tool called the Norton Power Eraser which will remove rogues and stubborn infections is targeting MBAM market share, the post is here if anyone wants to read, it was quite interesting, but we don't know if this is Norton's intention.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread....hlight=symantec

I think the idea behind it is good, but looks like it still needs some work. Then again, it appears to be new. Unclear to me if its still in beta or not, but, if it is, that would explain some of this. Like any new product, it seems like it has some kinks and them some to be worked out.

That being said, I am still sticking with Mbam :)

Thanks for the confirmation, sho-dan :)

I don't wanna be too hard on them, they are trying. And since it's in beta, well you know betas, they need testing... etc :)

I don't know when I stopped using Norton, probably the same around 2003 or something.

okay folks we all know that MBAM is way better than Norton Power Eraser at the moment, but we need to consider that this a beta, maybe it will end up better than MBAM or maybe it won't, we can't be sure yet. It will be a free application so if it ends up very good at removing malware, then people might just download it more tha MBAM.

Let's not count Norton out yet, I know some people on here are jaded Norton customers, but give them a break they made some improvements.

@sho-dan-

Saddly I stopped in 2008. We had Norton Internet Security 2007, but when we moved are subscription went out and our ISP had links to free products on their site. But even worse they were for AVG Free 7.0/.5. Now my dad has MSE, I have Avira and my mom has McAfee Security Central.

Given what is the general consensus around the net with regards to the tools of choice by the more techie crowd, I don't see this as a threat at all. I am glad to see Symantec trying to do something about the areas that are often missed by popular AV software though, it's a step in the right direction, and as has been stated before, competition is really irrelevant.

The real competition is whoever kills the most malware wins, be it us, Norton or anybody else :). More tools simply means more threats to the bad guys and their illegal income of scamming users out of their hard earned cash and private data.

Any insinuation to the contrary is just, well, counterproductive :).

Much more counter measures need to be done. We need to get them running with their tails behind their backs. :) The cyber war has been going on for years and needs to be taken to the next level. Companies need to get much more serious and create new technologies to outcast signatures as the are getting harder to rely on. Some new revolutionary concept is needed or something that greatly reduces the need for them would greatly help. :)

More tools simply means more threats to the bad guys and their illegal income of scamming users out of their hard earned cash and private data.

Any insinuation to the contrary is just, well, counterproductive :).

Yes. It's malware that is the enemy - not other companies trying to fight it too. Just something to keep in mind. :)

I've had an absolute nightmare with Norton.

They charged me twice last year for Protection and I had to phone them to refund at least one of them.

Then it just kept popping up every few minutes saying license, update now....

Then I installed Malwarebytes it found like 100 trojans, now ive removed Norton and I use Avira and Malwarebytes

I've had an absolute nightmare with Norton.

They charged me twice last year for Protection and I had to phone them to refund at least one of them.

Then it just kept popping up every few minutes saying license, update now....

Then I installed Malwarebytes it found like 100 trojans, now ive removed Norton and I use Avira and Malwarebytes

Same here. I love avira. :)