imiyus, Boaxxe.E and Alureon

Hi and thanks in advance for any help :)

Been spending the last couple of days trying to clean my computer using pretty much any software I can find on the internet but although it has gotten better it's still far from good. (programs used in no particular order: rkill + Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, AVG 9.0, SuperAntispyware, Microsoft onecare safety scanner and microsoft security essentials although it wont let me update the last one)

Before the crazy download-all-antimalware-you-can-find spree I ran AVG 9.0, Ad-Aware and microsoft firewall.

At first the computer got slow and started opening internet explorer windows at random and when I opened task manager all the processes were jumping around toggling between 42 and 43 processes. 2 of the processes were imisys.exe and Isass.exe (capital i in the beginning). It's not jumping around anymore and Isass.exe seems to be gone (lsass.exe with lower case L is still there) so I guess I've made some progress :)

Current status is that essentials pops up now and then and tells me Boaxxe.E has been found in Windows/Temp... folder using the name svchost.exe. OneCare told me it found 3 severe issues, one of which (Win32/Alureon.H) couldn't be fixed and imiyus.exe is still there as can be seen below. I did try to run the GMER utility but it reboots my computer after a little while.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4

Scan saved at 10:28:37 PM, on 4/22/2010

Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.17023)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

c:\Program\Microsoft Security Essentials\MsMpEng.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe

C:\Program\AVG\AVG9\avgchsvx.exe

C:\Program\AVG\AVG9\avgrsx.exe

C:\Program\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe

C:\Program\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe

C:\Program\Nikon\NkView6\NkvMon.exe

C:\Program\Delade filer\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe

C:\Program\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\CDANTSRV.EXE

C:\spel\iRacing\iRacingService.exe

C:\Program\Autodesk\3dsMax8\mentalray\satellite\raysat_3dsmax8server.exe

C:\Program\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMEService.exe

C:\Program\AVG\AVG9\avgnsx.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\Program\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe

C:\Program\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Karl Sundberg\Skrivbord\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaul...rch/search.html

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaul...//www.yahoo.com

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.altavista.com/

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaul...rch/search.html

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaul...//www.yahoo.com

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = L

Today I'm getting a 2nd hit in MS Essentials, something called VirTool:Win32/CeeInject.gen!J ends up in :C:\WINDOWS\Temp\XXXX.tmp\svchost.exe repeatedly (like Boaxxe.E above). Forgot to mention last night that sometimes a blank win explorer window pops up.

Hello witsend! Welcome to MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Forums!

My name is Borislav and I will be glad to help you solve your problems with malware. Before we begin, please note the following:

• The process of cleaning your system may take some time, so please be patient.
  • Stay with the topic until I tell you that your system is clean. Missing symptoms does not mean that everything is okay.
  • Instructions that I give are for your system only!
  • If you don't know or can't understand something please ask.
  • Do not install any software or hardware, while work on.

Step 1:

• Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Go to "Update" tab and select "Check for Updates". If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Go to "Scanner" tab and select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatly.

Step 2:

Also, I would like you to generate a "Add/Remove Software list" log using the HijackThis application. Here is how you can do this:

To get an Uninstall List from HijackThis:

• Open HijackThis, click Config, click Misc Tools
  • Click "Open Uninstall Manager"
  • Click "Save List" (generates uninstall_list.txt)
  • Click Save, copy and paste the results in your next post.

In your next reply, please include these log(s):

* MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware log

* HijackThis Uninstall List

* HijackThis log (new)

Hi Borislav and thanks :)

First some hopefully good news and that is that my PC is currently symptomfree :) Good start and lets hope there isn't a pesky critter hiding somewhere.

What happened most recently was that OneCare found 3 severe issues and removed 2 of them (Trojan:Win32/Puvbed.B and TrojanDownloader:Win32/Cutwail.gen!C. Since I hadn't been able to update Microsoft Security Essentials I hadn't bothered to run a full scan with it but in the end I got tired of the constant popups from MSE saying that it had blocked something and wanted to run a full scan so I let it. Much to my surprise it detected and removed the 3rd severe issue OneCare found (Virus:Win32/Alureon.H). Since the restart after that I haven't had any more popups from MSE or blank IE7 pages coming up all of a sudden.

In the HTJ log the first O4 entry points to a imiyus.exe but as far as I can tell the actual file isn't there anymore.

Hopefully we can clear out any remaining bits and maybe also figure out why some of my programs (messengers, Daemon tools and the software for my graphics card) doesn't autostart anymore :)

logs.zip

Step 1:

Please uninstall the following application:

Adobe Reader 7.0

After finish our work, please download the latest version from:

http://www.adobe.com

Step 2:

Please go into the Control Panel, Add/Remove and for now remove ALL versions of JAVA

Then run this tool to help cleanup any left over Java

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system.

Please download JavaRa and unzip it to your desktop.

***Please close any instances of Internet Explorer (or other web browser) before continuing!***

• Double-click on JavaRa.exe to start the program.
  • From the drop-down menu, choose English and click on Select.
  • JavaRa will open; click on Remove Older Versions to remove the older versions of Java installed on your computer.
  • Click Yes when prompted. When JavaRa is done, a notice will appear that a logfile has been produced. Click OK.
  • A logfile will pop up. Please save it to a convenient location and post it back when you reply
    Then look for the following Java folders and if found delete them.
    C:\Program Files\Java
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java
    C:\Windows\Sun
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Java
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sun\Java
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Java
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Sun\Java

Step 3:

**Note: If you need more detailed information, please visit the web page of ComboFix in BleepingComputer. **

Please note that these fixes are not instantaneous. Most infections require more than one round to properly eradicate.

Stay with me until given the 'all clear' even if symptoms diminish. Lack of symptoms does not always mean the job is complete.

Kindly follow my instructions and please do no fixing on your own or running of scanners unless requested by me or another helper.

Please download ComboFix from

Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved and renamed following this process directly to your desktop**

1. If you are using Firefox, make sure that your download settings are as follows:
    • Open Tools -> Options -> Main tab
    • Set to Always ask me where to Save the files.

[*]During the download, rename Combofix to Combo-Fix as follows:

CF_download_FF.gif

CF_download_rename.gif

[*]It is important you rename Combofix during the download, but not after.

[*]Please do not rename Combofix to other names, but only to the one indicated.

[*]Close any open browsers.

[*]Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

-----------------------------------------------------------

• Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause unpredictable results.
  • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.

• Close any open browsers.
  • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
  • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
  • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.

[*]Double click on combo-Fix.exe & follow the prompts.

[*]When finished, it will produce a report for you.

[*]Please post the C:\Combo-Fix.txt for further review.

**Note: Do not mouseclick combo-fix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

In your next reply, please include these log(s) in this sequence:

1. JavaRa log
  2. ComboFix log
  3. a new fresh HiJackThis log

Not 100% sure how well this went. :)

First, I decided to not uninstall JRAID. I googled it and apparently it has something with my harddrive to do? J2SE and all the folders I could find are gone though.

Secondly, turning off all antimalware stuff was a lot easier said than done as they just kept turning themselves back on. Eventually I think I got everything but MSE but then Combofix restarted my computer anyway when it detected Daemon tools (strange since it's not visible in systray or taskmanager). I didn't get any messages from any of the antimalware programs while running CF though so hopefully it went ok.

logs:

JAVARA

JavaRa 1.15 Removal Log.Report follows after line.------------------------------------The JavaRa removal process was started on Fri Apr 23 22:52:49 2010

Found and removed: Software\JavaSoft\Java2D\1.5.0_09Found and removed: Software\JavaSoft\Java2D\1.5.0_10Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{CAFEEFAC-0015-0000-0009-ABCDEFFEDCBA}Found and removed: SOFTWARE\Classes\JavaPlugin.150_09------------------------------------Finished reporting.

CF

ComboFix 10-04-21.01 - Karl Sundberg 04/24/2010 0:14.1.2 - x86

Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.3.1252.46.1053.18.2046.1198 [GMT 2:00]

K

Please go to http://virustotal.com

Next to the "Browse" button, in to the blank field, please paste the following:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\zbnegcaahptd5.sys

c:\windows\system32\drivers\exkxka.sys

Hit SEND FILE. Please be patient, it will take a while to get it scanned. Once all the scanners are done, post back with the results (copy & paste them here).

I'm not sure.

Please download the following scanning tool. GMER

• Open the zip file and copy the file
    gmer.exe
    to your Desktop.

• Double click on
    gmer.exe
    and run it.

• It may take a minute to load and become available.

• Do not make any changes. Click on the
    SCAN
    button and DO NOT use the computer while it's scanning.

• Once the scan is done click on the
    SAVE
    button and browse to your Desktop and save the file as
    GMER.LOG

• Zip up the
    GMER.LOG
    file and save it as
    gmerlog.zip
    and attach it to your reply post.

• DO NOT
    directly post this log into a reply. You
    MUST
    attach it as a
    .ZIP
    file.

• Click OK and quit the GMER program.

Okay, let's try this:

You have an infection that is preventing MBAM from running.

Download RootRepeal.zip and unzip it to your Desktop.

• Double click RootRepeal.exe to start the program
  • Click on the Report tab at the bottom of the program window
  • Click the Scan button
  • In the Select Scan dialog, check:

• Drivers
    • Files
    • Processes
    • SSDT
    • Stealth Objects
    • Hidden Services

[*]Click the OK button

[*]In the next dialog, select all drives showing

[*]Click OK to start the scan

Note: The scan can take some time.
    DO NOT
    run any other programs while the scan is running

[*]When the scan is complete, the Save Report button will become available

[*]Click this and save the report to your Desktop as RootRepeal.txt

[*]Go to File, then Exit to close the program

If the report is not too long, post the contents of RootRepeal.txt in your next reply. If the report is very long, it will not be complete if you post it, so please attach it to your reply instead.

Step 1:

First of all, you should not have more than one anti-virus program installed as they will conflict and cause problems. You have two so you need to uninstall one of them. Of the two, I would recommend keeping Microsoft Security Essentials , so please uninstall AVG Free 9.0 .

Step 2:

Please download Sysprot Antirootkit

Unzip it into a folder on your desktop.

• Double-Click Sysprot.exe to start the program.
  • Click on the log tab.
  • In the Write to log box select all items.
  • Click on the Create Log button on the Bottom Right.
  • After a few seconds a new windows should appear.
  • Select Scan Root Drive. Click on the Start button.
  • When it is complete a new window will appear to indicate that the scan is finished.
  • The log will be saved automatically in the same folder Sysprot.exe was extracted too.
  • Open the text file and copy/paste the log here

I haven't seen any signs of viruses since MSE caught Alureon.H yesterday (although when I uninstalled AVG I had to restart and after that a IE7 window popped up asking me why I uninstalled. Before I realized what it was I thought "Oh man..." :) )

A few programs seems to have dropped out from autostart though. I usually have MSN messenger, Yahoo IM and Daemon Tools running but neither of them is in systray or task manager anymore (and was it combo-fix that complained that Daemon was infact running?). Is this normal?

If it is clean now I have a couple of final questions:

A. during boot up I now have the option to select from 2 different windows installs, Windows Recovery Console (99% sure this one appeared after using Combo-Fix) and Windows XP Professional. It's only up for a couple of seconds and then defaults to XP Pro. Should I just leave recovery console there?

B. Internet security is important but having one antivirus program and 4 antimalware seems a little bit over the top for the untrained eye lol. Can I drop some of Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D and Superantispyware? (if so, which ones)

A few programs seems to have dropped out from autostart though. I usually have MSN messenger, Yahoo IM and Daemon Tools running but neither of them is in systray or task manager anymore (and was it combo-fix that complained that Daemon was infact running?). Is this normal?

Please, use msconfig to control startup programs.

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html

A. during boot up I now have the option to select from 2 different windows installs, Windows Recovery Console (99% sure this one appeared after using Combo-Fix) and Windows XP Professional. It's only up for a couple of seconds and then defaults to XP Pro. Should I just leave recovery console there?

After finish our work, please follow these instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555032

B. Internet security is important but having one antivirus program and 4 antimalware seems a little bit over the top for the untrained eye lol. Can I drop some of Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D and Superantispyware? (if so, which ones)

My suggestion is MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware, so you can uninstall Ad-Aware, SpyBot and SAS.

Can't find the edit button (if there is one)

Latest finding of it was in C:\System Volume Information\_restore{797F656F-8661-4789-8F2A-D9D17A7CF991}\RP1167\A0199117.sys and the action MSE took was Disinfect

1. Please clean system restore points:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...ps/mcgill1.mspx

2. Restart your computer.

3.Run scan with MSE

4.Let me know how are things things now.

Old system restore points are gone and here's the log from MBAM. It's quickscan, should I do the full scan?

I haven't seen any symptoms since MSE found the one in system restore above.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.45

www.malwarebytes.org

Databasversion: 4038

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11

4/26/2010 5:39:24 PM

mbam-log-2010-04-26 (17-39-24).txt

Skanningstyp: Snabbskanning

Antal skannade objekt: 112157

F