PC On Guard removal

Hi there,

This is my first post, so i'm not sure if i'm in the right section, please tell me or move the thread and i'll know what and where to be next time.

I have a spare computer, and like messing around with it for fun. This time around after yet another fresh install of Windows XP Home, I decided to throw one of these rogues onto it to see how they work.

So I looked in the latest malware released section and picked one called PC On Guard.

I managed to safely download it and transfer it to the test machine.

I first installed MBAM and updated it, then installed PC On Guard.

After it did its nice little fake scan, (How interesting to see how thats done) I decided, right, lets see MBAM in action. So I first opened the Task Manager and killed the processes that weren't there before I installed the rogue, and ran MBAM with a full scan. It detected 13 things, all related to PC On Guard.

So I clicked on remove and clicked ok restart when it said restart.

The computer restarted and got as far as showing the desktop background image. It doesn't go any further than that. I can still open task manager and start processes using it. But it appears that several processes that should be running, such as explorer.exe weren't. So I shutdown the computer and restarted it. It did the same thing.

Like I said, its a spare machine and therefore has nothing useful on it so I don't really care about reformatting it and reinstalling Windows.

However I thought that it'd be good to let you guys know what happens after MBAM v1.45 Database version 4020, removes PC On Guard, so that you may improve what happens and perhaps be able to get the system completely restored.

The computer itself is:

Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Fresh install)

No updates whatsoever (Disabled automatic updates)

Nothing else except MBAM 1.45 installed.

Cheers guys. MBAM Looks like a great program, and if I ever hear of somebody getting one of these rogues, i'll tell them to use MBAM. It seemed to work fine otherwise. :(

Unfortunately I've already formatted and reinstalled Windows.

Are there any programs out there that can make a record of what files you have where?

That'll help me tell you guys what this rogue is doing.

I'm sure you've already gone through and done testing like that but wouldn't even more results be possibly helpful?

Cheers and thanks for the quick reply.

Its important to keep XP up to date at SP 3 to reduce the chance of infection.

You can order a SP3 CD from Microsoft to speed up the fresh installs.

Please see:

Order Windows XP Service Pack 3 on a CD

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Please read:

Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) will end on July 13, 2010.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/end-support-windows-xp-sp2-windows-vista-without-service-packs?os=xp