hawk17

Avast and malwarebytes conflict question

Is it a good idea to run Avast and malwarebytes (the paid version) at the same time or would running two programs that offer real time protection conflict with each other?

If they would not conflict with each other, I'm also wondering if they would take up too much resources if run at the same time. I was using Webroot Anti-virus with Spy Sweeper, but I'm getting rid of it after I was crushed with viruses.

Sorry if this exact question has already been asked a million times (I presume it has).

Thanks

Greetings and welcome to Malwarebytes :(

I know of several users currently running Avast! antivirus along with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, both in realtime without issues.

Do keep in mind though, that no matter what antivirus/firewall etc you may be using, it is always a good idea to exclude Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's files from them so that the two do not conflict or create any performance issues:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

Hi guys, I've been thinking along the same lines recently. As well as Avast and MBAM, I run Online Armor, TrojanHunter and (recently) Sandboxie and Secunia. Really starting to think it's a bit OTT. Any opinions?

As regards the exclusions, Avast and Online Armor only seem to allow path exclusions, not file exclusions. Obviously I can exclude the MBAM-related paths to deal with most of the necessary files, but to exclude C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ just to let mbam.sys anb mbamswissarmyknife.sys off the hook would be insane :) So not sure how to deal with that ...

Andy

Good morning (or afternoon, depending on where you are) gentlemen:

Thank you, Hawk, for asking the question. It's very timely and relevant to my situation: I recently bought a new Win7 laptop and installed Avast Free AV on it, and I intend to also install MBAM on it as well. And thank you, Exile, for your response (it's very helpful and I have confidence in your responses, on this situation and others). Of course, my new machine also contains the native Windows Defender program as well. With the increasing plethora of security software available (anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-malware, anti-rootkits, etc.), it seems to me there is increasing overlap or redundancy among products and their claims. And I'm finding myself increasingly confused about what distinguishes one product from another, feature-wise (performance, efficiency, and efficacy considerations aside). For instance, where does Avast AV end and MBAM begin? I know MBAM is not an AV program and that Malwarebytes fully discloses that you must still use AV, but does Avast AV do all the things that MBAM does? According to Avast, Avast AV is an anti-virus and anti-spyware program that also provides RT anti-rookit protection, and uses a heuristics engine to detect additional, non-definition-based malware. What distinguishes MBAM from Avast AV? I've used MBAM for a year now. It helped me greatly a year ago resolve an infection by Spyware Protect 2009 (my Norton disappointed me, but again, Norton is AV. I'm starting to understand the difference). Ever since then, I'm sold on MBAM (I subsequently purchased the Pro version for the RT protection). I think MBAM is a great product, and I think the support forums are very competent and professional. So I have no intention of discontinuing MBAM use. But it keeps nagging at me: Avast, MBAM, Windows Defender, what's the dif? Right now, I don't have an issue to post, because MBAM is doing a great job helping to keep my desktop computer clean and protected. Good day to all. P.S. And now I see the thread from Mr. Spragg, which at a more generic level, seems to be asking the same question as me. Thank you, Andy.

Just to follow-up my original post, I have been using Avast and Malwarebytes (paid version) simultaneously for the past few days and there have been no conflict issues whatsoever. Everything works great.

Can you please confirm that MBAM is set with real-time protection ON, and please look at MBAM's CPU usage in Task Manager for a while.

Here, and for many users, it uses an unusually high amount of CPU time.

TIA!

Fran

Greetings :)

With regards to overlap between Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and antivirus softwares, there will certainly be some, but if a particular threat is detectable by both then your antivirus will detect it first because of the differences in how AV's analyse files in realtime vs the way that Malwarebytes' does it.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware doesn't target any specific type of threat (ie rootkits, bots, trojans, rogues etc), instead, we focus on detecting and removing any threats that aren't commonly detected and/or removed by most antivirus softwares, including Avast!, that's why Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is an excellent complement to a good AV :).

With regards to Windows Defender, its detection rates of malware are considerably lower than that of most AV's, and MBAM for the types of threats it targets, which is primarily spyware and adware according to Microsoft.

No problem with my XP Pro system.

However older systems like Fran

Thanks YoKenny1.

I'll upgrade it in the near future, but I may also drop Windows for Linux once for good.

I won't need that kind of software then. (at least from what I know)

[quote name='Fran

post-100-1272455705_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for your comments. I enjoyed reading all of them. Exile, especial thanks for your discriminating comments on AV's vs. MBAM (they were very instructive and insightful). I know there have been more than a few posts reporting instances of MBAM ver. 1.45 consuming inordinate system resources (with some even trashing the product), but I have not experienced this issue on my XP Home Edition (Media Center 2005) SP3, with 1.45, 1.44, etc. I run Norton Internet Security suite (you want to talk about system hog? man, Norton is it) for my firewall/AV and MBAM Pro (real-time protection running in the systray). Other than during db updates and scans, MBAM seems to run pretty silently in the background. This said, I cannot summarily dismiss or discount the reports of those posters, like Mr. Blais, who are claiming that MBAM pegs their system (if that's what they're seeing, then . . . that's what they're seeing). I guess it's an indication of all the possible permutations of a computer system that's in use in the greater world. Scary, the number of "variables." Good rest of the day to all.

Ron

P.S. YoKenny1, love your handle and picture.

Hi guys, I've been thinking along the same lines recently. As well as Avast and MBAM, I run Online Armor, TrojanHunter and (recently) Sandboxie and Secunia. Really starting to think it's a bit OTT. Any opinions?

I think that you are at the top limit of protection for most hardy surfers - I have only had MSE, MBAM, SAS and a HostMan program with the cleaners -

These seem to block many sites and ads when I look for items on the net - MSE seems to replace the firewall (I think) -

Regards -

PS - How is the G2G report going -

Andy

With your signature

Andy

Life begins at kilofortnight

Does not provide any information about what type of system(s) you are using.

XP Home or Pro, Vista or Windows 7?

CPU types and speed and RAM amount?

If you ask for help at two places then you will get two answers as to how to fix the problem making twice the work for the Experts trying to help you.

your signature ... Does not provide any information about what type of system(s) you are using.

XP Home or Pro, Vista or Windows 7? CPU types and speed and RAM amount?

If you ask for help at two places then you will get two answers as to how to fix the problem making twice the work for the Experts trying to help you.

Hi Kenny,

I appreciate that you replied, in view of previous friction between us which I think results from differences in style, and from (self-imposed) pressure on you to help as many people as possible. I feel that friction again already, so I am trying hard even harder than usual to choose my words well. I am neither noob nor idiot, nor am I a bad guy!

It seems that changing my signature would be a good idea. When I do ask for help, here or anywhere else, I provide system information at the start of the post. To me, it seems more logical than putting it in a sig, which seems to me like the equivalent of top posting in an email. But if that's the preference of the Experts, I'm happy to accommodate it!

I appreciate why it is poor form to ask for help in two places at once, which is why I am not in the habit of doing it, and certainly not in this forum, which as its rubric says is for problems or comments related to MBAM:

• In this thread I am not asking for help. I was just chipping in.
  • In the thread I linked to from this thread, I am not asking for help either (as I said in the opening post "Not looking for help with removing it, since it was not MBAM that diagnosed it..."
  • In that thread, there is a link back to two G2G threads in which I did ask for help (and provided the necessary system information). That's just for information, as requested by noknojon.

The help in the G2G threads, which are now finished if not yet officially closed, identified two issues with which I needed help elsewhere:

• One of those was the last thing I was expecting (MBAM being the root of the problem). It relates to two machines other than this one, so information about this machine in the sig would be irrelevant if not potentially misleading. I am asking for help, and asking for it in this forum, because MBAM is the issue. I'm not asking anywhere else. Why would I? However, a new thread (with the relevant system info) is probably the way to go now.
  • For the other, I've asked if it would be OK to seek help in a new thread. That was ill-considered and I apologize. I have now posted about it in the Sysinternals forum.

Andy

Ive been using Avast free, M/B, Superantispyware Pro, & McAfee Firewall all running in R/T and playing nicely together for months. :blink:

WinXP Pro SP3

Just to add to the argument, MBAM is an anti-malware application, whilst Avast is an antivirus. There is a distinct difference! If you were running two antivirus applications at the same time, or even two firewalls, then you'd be causing problems, but because MBAM is an Anti-malware application, and not an antivirus, its real-time protection doesn't inadvertently get in the way of of the antivirus.