Serious system error after running for 30 minutes

After Malwarebytes runs for about 30 minutes or so my system restarts and says there was a serious problem. What could be going on?

Background:

About a week ago I was infected with something that would redirect any Google inquiry to any one of a bunch of nonsense sites that had nothing to do with what the Google entry. I had Malwarebytes and so I updated definition files and ran it. MB found 2 Registry Keys infected, 2 Data items infected, and 1 file infected. 2 other problems. I went ahead and fixed them. I tried Google again and the problem still manifested itself but not as bad, that is sometimes the click on the Google result worked. So I ran Malwarebytes again. This time and all subsequent attempts to run Malwarebytes results in the system drastically shutting down and restarting when Malwarebytes is about 30 minutes into the scan. The first time Malwarebytes caused the system to restart, I ran a quick scan and it worked. It found 1 registry key infected which was quarantined and deleted. This improved things now to the point I'm experiencing the Google redirect problem much less. But I can't get Malwarebytes to complete a full scan.

I've ran chkdsk and it find two bad sectors, I had chkdsk run again and repair. Malwarebytes still can't go past 30 minutes. The log for the first time Malwarebytes ran a full scan successfully showed that it ran for 1 hour and 16 minutes and scanned 208257 objects. When the problem occurs I'm only at about 48,000 objects. I have attached both logs. mbam_log_2010_04_21__04_49_50_.txtmbam_log_2010_04_19__19_42_45_.txt

I subsequently ran Spybot, and A squared. both ran to completion and found four minor problems. I have CA Anti-virus and full scanned my computer with no problems.

I need some help. Is Malbytewear running into a hard drive problem? or is there malware that's causing the problem. What do you suggest I do next to determine/resolve the problem?

TIA

Hello TD5, and welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org :(

Please read the following so that you may finish the cleaning process:

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

Please note that it may take 48 hours or more for you to receive a response in the malware removal forum, as it is often busy at times. Please do not reply to your own post asking for help unless its been more than 48 hours since you originally posted, as this can make it appear as though you are being helped and take longer for you to get help.

If you are unable to do all or any of the steps in the link to the directions above, just post your problem into the forum I gave you a link to anyway and someone will be able to assist you.

Also, when replying, please use the "ADD REPLY" button located at the bottom of the page, as this makes the forum easier to read.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Thank you :(

Hi TD5 and welcome to Malwarebytes!

Edit: I probably wasn't that clear. Mainly I was refering to fixing the redirection problems.:(

I'm not sure If I can recommend this, but try the following first. Open the hosts file with notpad in the following location C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc . After highlight everything expect the following:

# Copyright

Understood about Malware removal, which will be my next step.

I want to report that I did get Malwarebytes to do a full scan by clearing out temp files as recommended by Firefox on Apr 8 2010, 05:02 pm in response to pompste who posted in this forum that "For some unknown reason my windows xp reboots during the malwarebytes scan-----anyone know why?" which was the problem I was trying to handle at the time.

Here is the address of that response that helped me http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...2&hl=reboot

TD5,

I'm glad that Firefox's advice in that post enabled you to clean out your temp files & run a full scan. Just for future reference though, typically only a QUICK scan is needed. :(

Yes, please do move on to the Malware Removal Forum, and good luck! B)