IP ADDRESS POP UP

I just recently purchased the full version of Malware bytes. Up until now I was using the free version that helped with an XP defender popups spyware that I had. The free version would remove all the spyware but it kept coming back the next day or 2. Now that I purchased the pay version I get popups with all kinds IP addresses its blocking, I ran a search on one of these IP addresses 91.212.226.59 and it gave me a name(Artem Zhirkov) and location(russia). My question is what else can I do on my end to stop these theats and to protect my computer? Thanks

Hello JOE7500, and welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org and thank you for your purchase :(

When are you getting these popups (while browsing, when you're not...) and how often? Off and on or are they quite constant?

Do you use any P2P software (examples: uTorrent, LimeWire, Vuze...)?

As a side note, when replying, please use the "ADD REPLY" button located at the bottom of the page.

Thank you :(

Hello, thanks for your reply. I am pretty sure I only get the IP popup when I have my browser open I use IE and Firefox on windows XP and I get them thru both browsers.I am getting a IP pop up now actually as I type this LOL. Its popping up about every 30 seconds but it can vary. As far as P2P software I have limewire installed on my computer but I havent used the program in sometime. Im not sure I use any other P2P software.

You're welcome Joe! :(

Have you been infected recently or do you have reason to believe that you may have been infected recently?

Even though you haven't used LimeWire for a while, have you had it running in the background when these alerts were going off? If so, exit out of it and see if the IP popups persist.

Additionally, I highly, highly recommend uninstalling LimeWire and never using it or any other p2p program again.

Essentially, p2p usage is almost a guarantee to get infected.

Have a read here:

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/tips/ST05-007.html

Hi. Limewire program was not running at all when the popups came up I havent used the program in a good 6 months. I was infected with spyware "XP defender" for a few weeks prior to upgrade my malware program. Tonight when I turned on my computer the IP address popup came up even without my browsers open.

I found out how to disable the balloon pop up without stopping the function of the program..go to Start menu properties (right click start button and select Properties) and in Taskbar/Hide inactive icons/Customise selcted Malwarebytes icon and set it to Always hide.

I found out how to disable the balloon pop up without stopping the function of the program..go to Start menu properties (right click start button and select Properties) and in Taskbar/Hide inactive icons/Customise selcted Malwarebytes icon and set it to Always hide.

However, I do not want to disable the popuyps. I'd rather get to the root of the cause and prevent it in some way.

I do not use P2P programs, but I am getting an IP stopped popup every 5-10 minutes, always for the same two IP addresses.

I read somewhere that I can get better details about the threat, by reading the protection logfiles. So I had a look at those files and they are all empty except for a "0" character. Not much useful info there.

Hello again Joe. Did you just disable the balloon notifcation but left Website blocking on? Also, please do uninstall LimeWire prior to following my directions below. If you don't, you will be asked to as it is the policy of this forum when you are getting assistance with Malware removal :)

and hello Daleus :)

You both should read and do the following so that you can get cleaned up, as you are both still infected unfortunately:

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

Please note that it may take 48 hours or more for you to receive a response in the malware removal forum, as it is often busy at times. Please do not reply to your own post asking for help unless its been more than 48 hours since you originally posted, as this can make it appear as though you are being helped and take longer for you to get help.

If you are unable to do all or any of the steps in the link to the directions above, just post your problem into the forum I gave you a link to anyway and someone will be able to assist you.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Thank you :)