free version 1.45 command line issue

I have been using mbam for awhile without incident using Windows XP Scheduled tasks to schedule unattended updates and scans each night. I struggled through the update failures after upgrading to 1.45 and have got that working by changing /runupdate to /update and scheduling a script to close the message box left after the update has completed. I have noticed that no log is produced during the unattended scans using the following cmd:

C:\PROGRA~1\MALWAR~1\mbam.exe /scan -terminate -log

in Windows Scheduled Tasks. Running the scan unattended without having a log to document the results seems useless. If I fire up Mbam.exe and run the scan by clicking on the Scan button a log is produced. I tried uninstalling and re-installing the product from instructions found elsewhere on this forum but still no log when running unattended. Is this by design or am I missing something?

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes....

Not saying you can not get it to work using the windows scheduler and using options like you are but........

The scheduling part of Malwarebytes has changed with version 1.45. It does not use the windows scheduler any longer. The full/pro version will do all that you are asking for a very inexpensive low price of $24.95. It is a one time lifetime license and well worth it for the automatic scheduling and active web blocking technology that will help keep your computer malware free.

I'm aware that I can buy functionality that used to be provided free of charge (E.G. silent unattended updates). Has logging been removed from the free version when invoked from the command line as well? I have been unable to find a reference to this and would like to confirm it before seeking other alternatives.

Is there a scheduled release date for 1.46? Also I read somewhere in the forum that your practise of sending the entire data base with each update is to be changed in an upcoming release. Will this be included in 1.46? As I dial-up user (not by choice!) I am very interested in this issue as well.

• Staff

Hello again :(

I don't have a release date yet. This release will primarily be a bugfix release to correct existing issues with the software. The incrimental updating won't happen yet and I do not yet know when that feature is to be implemented.

If you have further issues or questions please post.

Thanks B)

• 2 weeks later...
Hello again :)

I don't have a release date yet. This release will primarily be a bugfix release to correct existing issues with the software. The incrimental updating won't happen yet and I do not yet know when that feature is to be implemented.

If you have further issues or questions please post.

I'm interested in this log issue as well. As far as I can tell, version 1.46 does not correct it. Running a commandline scan (mbam.exe /scan -quick -terminate) does not produce a log file, whether the -log parameter is set or not. (I have "Automatically save log file after scan completes" checked in the GUI settings.)

Is this being worked on?

Hi -

Manual scans are kept behind the Logs Tab on the programs main face panel - A manual scan can be done at any time by clicking on Scanner on the front of the face panel and then click on Quick Scan - I make sure I do at least one of these every second day and the logs are always there -

Do you have the boxes on the left side of the Scan Schedule all ticked so that it Will save a log in these places -???

From the FAQ section (Pinned Topics) above this area of the forum - FAQ area

Where do I find the IP Protection logs?

You can find the logs for the IP Protection module here:

File and IP Protection Logs

Windows 2000 & Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Windows Vista & Win7:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Thank You - :)

Hi -

Manual scans are kept behind the Logs Tab on the programs main face panel - A manual scan can be done at any time by clicking on Scanner on the front of the face panel and then click on Quick Scan - I make sure I do at least one of these every second day and the logs are always there -

Do you have the boxes on the left side of the Scan Schedule all ticked so that it Will save a log in these places -???

From the FAQ section (Pinned Topics) above this area of the forum - FAQ area

Where do I find the IP Protection logs?

You can find the logs for the IP Protection module here:

File and IP Protection Logs

Windows 2000 & Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Windows Vista & Win7:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Thank You - :)

Hi noknojon,

This is an issue with commandline scanning using the free version. So we're not talking about manual scanning and there is no Scan Schedule.

On the Settings\General Settings tab, "Automatically save log file after scan completes" is checked. Nevertheless, no log is created after a commandline scan is run with the -quick and -terminate parameters set. Nothing shows up under the Logs tab, and there is no log in the folders you reference. (I've tried this on both a Windows 7 64-bit machine and a Windows XP 32-bit machine.) And adding the -log parameter does not help.

By the way, this worked fine in versions through 1.44. The problem began in 1.45 and has been acknowledged above, "to be fixed in 1.46." Unfortunately it remains.

Can we get confirmation from the developers that it is being worked on?

Thanks.