Updating problem

I've been using the Malwarebytes free version on my new PC for the last month or so and all seemed to be working fine with it until this past Saturday when I tried to get the latest updates. I clicked on the update tab and it looked like the update was gathering new info BAU and right before completion my screen went black and my entire system shut down and then restarted. It scared the heck out of me. After the restart it appeared everything was okay but then when I tried to open the program again I received error message "MBAM_ERROR_LOAD_DATABASE (0,0)

What would have caused this and what can I do to fix it? Up until this incident the application had been working just fine including the update feature which I'd use at least every couple of days or so. Some background info: I'm running Win 7 (64bit) and McAfee anti-virus.

Thanks!

Greetings and welcome to Malwarebytes :)

I can only speculate as to the cause or the reason your PC crashed as I've never seen that happen before, but it may be that McAfee had something to do with it.

Please do the following to see if it corrects the problem:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Once that's complete, exclude the following from McAfee's realtime protection if possible (including its firewall if you have it installed):

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks very much for the info. Based on other posts I've read here I was thinking this might be the recommendation. I don't think I'll have any problems with the instructions to uninstall / re-install Malwarebytes but I'm having trouble navigating McAfee to find where and how to exclude the files you recommended from real time protection. In the McAfee application itself I can't even find where it tells me which version I have installed although I'm assuming it's McAfee 2010 since the PC is only 2 months old. Do you happen to have a link or something that would give me intructions on how to navigate McAfee so that I can add these files as exclusions?

Thanks!

Hello again :)

Unfortunately it appears that only the Corporate versions of McAfee support file, folder and process exclusions. The home versions do not any longer (although they used to). This is unfortunate because it means that if McAfee is the issue, there is no way to fix it. Hopefully reinstalling Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware will fix the problem.

Please let me know how it goes and if it doesn't work I'll look into other possible solutions for the issue.

Hello again :)

Unfortunately it appears that only the Corporate versions of McAfee support file, folder and process exclusions. The home versions do not any longer (although they used to). This is unfortunate because it means that if McAfee is the issue, there is no way to fix it. Hopefully reinstalling Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware will fix the problem.

Please let me know how it goes and if it doesn't work I'll look into other possible solutions for the issue.

Thanks <_<

Okay I've uninstalled and successfully re-installed Malwarebytes again. I then re-enabled McAfee, fired up Malwarebytes and tried the update tab and no problems although I already had the latest updates from the new install so not much of a test there other than connecting with the server. I also ran a quick scan which completed successfully with no malware detections so all seems to be okay. Again though everything seemed to be running fine for the past month or so up until this past Saturday so I guess I'll just have to see if this install holds without any problems. Thanks very much for the help.

Hi -

I am not sure if this relates to your version of McAfee but we do have this from our FAQ section -

Open the VirusScan Console and disable the Access Protection module and then install MBAM

After installation, register and update MBAM and then enable the MBAM Protection Module

Within the VirusScan Console under Access Protection configure the following rules

Anti-virus Standard Protection

Prevent user rights policies from being altered

add mbam.exe to the exclusions

Common Standard Protection

Protect Mozilla & FireFox files and settings

Protect Internet Explorer settings

Prevent installation of Browser Helper Objects and Shell Extensions

Protect network settings

Common Maximum Protection

Prevent programs registering to autorun

add mbam.exe, mbamgui.exe to the exclusions

Prevent programs registering as a service

add mbam.exe, mbam-dor.exe, mbamgui.exe, mbamservice.exe, services.exe to the exclusions

From within the VirusScan Console re-enable the Access Protection module

Double click the MBAM icon in the task tray and do a Quick Scan to confirm there are no longer any freezing issues.

Thank You - <_<

EDIT - Please use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page - Thank you -

Thanks for the info. I've looked all through the virus scan console of the McAfee version I have on my PC and I can't find any area in the console that allows me to configure my own exclusion rules. I believe exile360 when he says configuring exclusions in the newest McAfee home version is not an option anymore. The info you provided probably works for earlier versions but not McAfee 2010 home version. Personally I hate McAfee and the only reason I'm running it is because my new PC came with a free 1 year subscription already loaded. When it runs out I'll be running away from McAfee as fast as I can. It's a big fat hog that just sucks up PC resource.

Thanks again for your effort to try and help. I'm up and running right now after the new Malwarebytes install so with a little luck maybe it'll be okay now, at least for awhile anyway :-)

I'm glad it's working now :(

If you really want to get rid of McAfee but don't want to have to pay for an AV yet you can go with a good free AV. Here's my personal recommendations:

Download the installer for the one you wish to use and save it to your desktop but do not install it yet, you need to remove McAfee first:

Remove all McAfee products:

• Download McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool from here and save it to your desktop but do not run it yet.
  • Select McAfee Security Center and select Uninstall or Remove
  • When it asks if you wish to remove all McAfee products confirm that you do
  • Follow the instructions for removing it and reboot if required
  • After that's complete, double click the MCPR.exe file you downloaded to run it and it will remove any remnants of McAfee from your system so they don't cause issues with your new antivirus software
  • Reboot if required to do so by MCPR

Now install the new AV you downloaded and update it, then exclude the following files and folders in your new AV to avoid any potential conflicts or performance problems with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

I'm glad it's working now :)

If you really want to get rid of McAfee but don't want to have to pay for an AV yet you can go with a good free AV. Here's my personal recommendations:

Download the installer for the one you wish to use and save it to your desktop but do not install it yet, you need to remove McAfee first:

Remove all McAfee products:

• Download McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool from here and save it to your desktop but do not run it yet.
  • Select McAfee Security Center and select Uninstall or Remove
  • When it asks if you wish to remove all McAfee products confirm that you do
  • Follow the instructions for removing it and reboot if required
  • After that's complete, double click the MCPR.exe file you downloaded to run it and it will remove any remnants of McAfee from your system so they don't cause issues with your new antivirus software
  • Reboot if required to do so by MCPR

Now install the new AV you downloaded and update it, then exclude the following files and folders in your new AV to avoid any potential conflicts or performance problems with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

Thanks Exile. I dumped McAfee and downloaded Microsoft security essentials, all according to the instructions you provided including configuring in all of the file exclusions. After that I ran a manual update with Malwarebytes along with a quick scan both of which were successful. I then ran a quick scan with Microsoft security essentials just to make sure that was working and it also completed successfully. So for now it looks like all is well. Thanks again for all the help!