Error When Trying To Update Version 1.45

I am running Windows XP SP2 with McAfee Antivirus / AntiSpyware behind a company firewall, on a Dell Latitude D620 laptop. I have had NO problems updating or anything else until I updated to version 1.45. Below is the error message I now receive after removing MWB, running the "clean" program from Malwarebytes and reinstalling version 1.45. So far, tech support has NOT responded with any further suggestions as to how to correct this program so that it works as it used to. If anyone can help, it will be greatly appreciated. Here is the current error message:

MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (122, 0, MultiByteToWideChar)

The data error passed to a system call is too small

Greetings :)

Please check to make certain that the email was not blocked by your email provider's spam filter. The support team generally responds very promptly to support requests. If they have not responded by the 17th then please post back and I'll make sure that you receive direct assistance from support.

Thanks for your response. I did get ONE response from the MWB support team, directing me to "clean" and then reinstall MWB. I did that and received an error message when trying to update. I sent a second e-mail to the support team, with a screenshot showing the error message. I am still waiting for a response to THAT e-mail as I cannot get past the error message and therefore, cannot update MWB.

Nitebeat,

I had the same error message using CA AV program.

The only way that I have been able to update is to shut down my firewall, manually update, and then turn the firewall back on.

I know that this isn't a fix, but at least you may be able to keep updated until you DO get a fix.

Cheers.

@ nitebeat -

For your problem please read McAfee Solution from the FAQ section - Also exclude these same items from your company firewall which is also blocking it -

The computer needs to be updated to XP SP3 also - Many updates and other programs will hane problems with SP2 -

@ Skyezz -

Please disable the CA firewall and use the Windows firewall or add the exclusions to your CA firewall also -

Thank You - :(

@ Skyezz -

Please disable the CA firewall and use the Windows firewall or add the exclusions to your CA firewall also -

Thanks noknojon, but updating Malwarebytes is the least of the problems that I have had had since version 1.45 showed up on my computer.

I have already added the exclusions recommended and pretty much done everything else possible to no avail. Malwarebytes uses up huge amounts of resources on my computer and wont update unless my (CA security center) firewall is turned off completely. In fact, to get any work done anymore these days, I have to often just shut Malwarebytes down completely.

I really think that version 1.45 is "broken" in some way and I look forward to some future "fix" so that I can use it again since it always worked well until the dreaded version 1.45.

Sincere thanks for the offer of help though. It is much appreciated. Cheers.

Hi Again -

There is a 1.46 with all these items fixed and due out very soon - Can you please just try with the Windows firewall and not the CA firewall for now -

Unless you do some serious site surfing the Windows firewall is enough with CA A/V installed -

If you Wish there is a version of 1.44 HERE -

Do not click on update, or please disable updates on the paid version, as that will give you 1.45 -

Thank You -

To All:

Well, I finally went "toe-to-toe" with my company's IT staff and after proding enough, THEY discovered that the company WEBSENSE software was blocking my computer from getting out for the updates. So, after "reducing" the level at which I was being blocked, I was able to UPDATE to the current database version dated 4-21-2010 and things are fine now. However, I ran a FULL SCAN and the return was a WINDOWS.TOOL.DISABLED as a registry value. Does anyone know what this is? Is this a false positive? I tried to remove it and Malwarebytes will NOT remove it. Any help with this latest issue will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again to everyone for their help - always much appreciated!!!!

Greetings :(

Yes, Websense has been known to cause updating issues with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

As for the entry you discovered, you can check with your IT staff, but I suspect it is simply a policy change they made to your work clients to block certain types of system modifications as is common practice in corporate environments.

Please post back if you have further issues.

Thanks B)

Hello again :(

You're very welcome.

I would say look at the actual detection (the Malwarebytes' scan log should contain more detail on the specific setting), and then ask your IT department about it. If they recognize it as a change they have made then have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware ignore it, otherwise have them look into it as they will have full access to the system and Group Policy to change it back if they wish to do so.