piggybacking

lottie

I am with sky bb and connect through a router I do not have a wireless connection set up as I think they are unsafe.

Can anyone still piggyback on my system or am I safe please? I have been told there are a few peeps piggybacking in my area. I have full AVG and of course maleware.

Thanks Lottie :)

I am with sky bb and connect through a router I do not have a wireless connection set up as I think they are unsafe.

Can anyone still piggyback on my system or am I safe please? I have been told there are a few peeps piggybacking in my area. I have full AVG and of course maleware.

Thanks Lottie :)

OOPS should have wrote MALEWAREBYTES lol

Lottie

Hi lottie -

As long as you run regular scans I can see no way of people 'piggybacking' your system -

To do this they would need to tap into your phone line -

Thank You - :)

Thanks for that! good job not everyone is thick like me lol :)

Lottie.

@ Lottie, I also have my internet from Sky but I use it wirelessley. I think you would be pretty safe as Sky give you a unique network pass key that you cannot change and so its not like you might have a easy to figure out default password like some providers :)

Plus as they have a useage tool on thier site you could if worried check that to see if it seems to be higher than you would exspect.

@ Lottie, I also have my internet from Sky but I use it wirelessley. I think you would be pretty safe as Sky give you a unique network pass key that you cannot change and so its not like you might have a easy to figure out default password like some providers smile.gif

Plus as they have a useage tool on thier site you could if worried check that to see if it seems to be higher than you would exspect.

It actually can be changed. I am also with sky.

You can log into the router, just like you would any other.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-router/772-sky-router-setup-configuration.html

The access instructions work for the wireless router I have that I got with them, even though it is a different one...(sagem)

Strange, I tried to change it the first time I set it up over three years ago now and it basically blocked me out completely so I had to reset it. I just presumed that as it came with an unique Network key that this was a security measure from Sky? I skimmed the link you posted and its interesting though I don't know why they tell people to change the Network key, I would understand it if it was a common default one like "admin" or "123456789" but it is a jumble of letters that is unique to your set up so no different than you picking one at random really.

Even with a password you aren't very safe. If you log into your router you should have some wireless configuration options. One of them should include "Wireless Client Table" and then you can see who is connected to your wireless. Obviously if you see a computer name or know that you don't have someone on your wireless at that point in time that someone is piggybacking.

WEP keys are ridiculously easy to crack - so if you do decide to add a password - make it WPA or WPA2. This only makes it more difficult (although still not impossible to crack.)

I do not see the option to add a PW in the Network connection property's security, I have it set to WPA -personal and TKIP encryption but under that is the Network security key. I do not have my router on 24/7 anyway so I pretty sure I am ok with regards to anyone piggybacking it plus my connection is pretty bad so I doubt anyone could hijack it unless they were in my room :D