mbamsevice.exe severe slowdown w/ 1.45

i have the full version of malwarebytes for about a year now. never had a problem.

however, since version 1.45 was automatically installed behind the scenes, it's causing all sorts of performance problems.

for example, if i open "winamp", mbamservices.exe skyrockets to 80% CPU in task manager. same think with "codeblocks" C++ IDE, and microsoft visual studio.

i'm assuming that malwarebytes is extensively checking these programs for malware or whatever when i try to execute them, and its slowing my computer down to an unacceptable level.

for now, i've opted to DISABLE MALWAREBYTES. that is not an acceptable solution for a program i pay $$$ for.

is there anyway i can "WHITELIST" certain applications? can i tell malwarebytes to ignore all winamp, visual studio, and codeblocks activity?

if not, why hasn't this feature been implemented? i mean, if a user knows that certain software is safe, why do i have to disable all protection to get known safe software to run?

can i roll back to malwarebytes version 1.44? i had no problems with 1.44.

1.45 has been nothing but a pain in my ass, no offense.

whats the solution?

by the way, i already searched for answers, and already did a full reinstall, using malwarebytes "cleaner.exe" or whatever it's called.

still no luck.

i love this program for the comprehensive protection, but currently, the performance hits are completely out of control. i know im not the only one affected by this.

just want a solution.

I too am having this issue on 2 customer PCs. I've done the clean as above as well as excluded all appropriate files in Symantec Corp AV yet 2 PCs continue to lock up (or at a minimum extended LONG pause) with v1.45. 1.44 and before were fine.

FYI, switching to MS Security Essentials with appropriate exclusions also made no difference.

Greetings :)

What other security software is installed on your computer?

I was using McAfee Anti-Virus. However, I uninstalled McAfee, and I'm still having the problem with mbamservice.

I set Malwarebytes to not run at startup. So I have no anti-virus software running. My computer runs fine. Then if I turn on Malwarebytes realtime protection, mbamservice.exe process SKYROCKETS if i try to run adobe photoshop, illustrator, indesidn, winamp, visualstudio, codeblocks. mbamservice shoots up to 91% cpu in the task manager, and my computer slows to a crawl.

I've never had this problem until the 1.45 update. I followed the instructions in another help post where i uninstalled Malwarebytes, ran the cleaner, reinstalled, and reboot the computer like 5 times during the process.

It's been like this for a couple weeks and I've yet to see a solution. It's kind of frustrating to buy a program which works excellently, then have some update break it, and I've been running my comp without any sort of anti-malware/virus for like 2 weeks now.

What's the solution?

• Staff

Hello again :)

Please do the following so I can take a look if there's anything that might be creating conflicts and causing the high CPU usage:

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here and save it to your desktop.
    • Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you also need to do the following:
      1. Right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Properties
      2. Click on the Compatibility tab
      3. Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
      4. Click on Apply then click OK

[*]Double-click Autoruns.exe to run it.

[*]Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.

[*]Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures

[*]Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.

[*]When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.

[*]Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder

[*]Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

Hey i think i found the problem. The program "Fraps" that I use for video capturing while playing games etc...

As soon as i disable Fraps, the problem disappears.

I guess the next thing I need to do is figure out how to get Fraps and MBAM to coexist peacefully. Is there any way to exclude Fraps from malwarebytes?

• Staff

Unfortunately Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware doesn't include the capability to exclude other processes at the moment, but now that you've narrowed down the issue to Fraps I'll pass this info on to the developers so they can look into it further and hopefully get the problem resolved.

edit: Just for the sake of completeness, please run Autoruns again and creat a new Autoruns.arn log per the instructions above, but this time please wait until it says Ready at the bottom of the program before saving your log.

Unfortunately Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware doesn't include the capability to exclude other processes at the moment, but now that you've narrowed down the issue to Fraps I'll pass this info on to the developers so they can look into it further and hopefully get the problem resolved

ok, if it helps, the version of fraps that caused problems was 2.9.4, and the new version which runs fine is 3.2.2

• Staff

Excellent, I was wondering because I contacted my co-workers about this issue and one of them chimed in stating that he uses FRAPS with MBAM without issue, but I'd be willing to bet that he's using the latest.

Thank you for posting back with your resolution, this will aid us in the future, both for tracking and hopefully fixing this issue in the future in MBAM (if possible) as well as helping users who have this problem with older versions of FRAPS installed (in which case we'll recommend that they update to the latest version).

If you require anything further please post.