Offline Update

This method does indeed work though:

ISSUE: I need to get the latest database onto a computer that cannot access the Internet.

SOLUTION: You can manually copy the database from a working computer using a flash drive or CD onto the infected PC. Our database file is stored in the following locations.

• Windows XP and 2000:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
    • Windows Vista and Windows 7:
    • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

This method does indeed work though:

This method does indeed not work !!

After downloaded and installed

"Why yes there is a way, all you have to do is follow the instructions in Section A and look for Issue 4 on the page LOCATED HERE"

the "Rules.exe"-File MBAM does not open, as this file will not be supported.

Try and see.

By the way, i'd like to have the manually update, as i'm one of these users, who cannot update MBAM automatically (see the dozens of messages in this forum regarding this issue)

Michael

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
This method does indeed not work !!

After downloaded and installed

"Why yes there is a way, all you have to do is follow the instructions in Section A and look for Issue 4 on the page LOCATED HERE"

the "Rules.exe"-File MBAM does not open, as this file will not be supported.

Try and see.

By the way, i'd like to have the manually update, as i'm one of these users, who cannot update MBAM automatically (see the dozens of messages in this forum regarding this issue)

Michael

what an interesting "style" of "posting" where one can't tell what exactly is it that you said in the whole thread.

:)

in first post you mention something about version 1.45 not being compatible with..uhm...something.

in this post above you're not making any sense whatsoever.

the correct answer, as experienced by me just now is the following:

both offline update file found here

http://www.gt500.org/malwarebytes/

AND the method of copying rules.ref (from updated machine) to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" on target machine, work as expected if one for example installs version 1.50 of mbam(same version of mbam installed on both machines).

only issue is that info (given in program's pop-up window) about database age is wrong, but that doesn't matter, as database is indeed new (mbam-rules.exe is a bit older, naturally, but not much...) as you can see on the "update" tab of the program (there's date of database there)

and thing just works, with both ways of updating rules.ref on a pc not connected to the web.

this was written in december 2010 (if somebody fails to see the date of this post).

i hope this post satisfies the curiosity of those who need to update mbam definitions on offline pcs.

Hi folks,

Unfortunately I have lost my Internet Access for awhile and wanted to update MBAM on my laptop ... I did go to GT500 download site and the darn Definitions Rule are 10 days OLD ...

Q: Can MBAM have a Reliable Offline Download place that is Regularly Updated!?!?

Thanks,

G! :rolleyes:

Hi folks,

Unfortunately I have lost my Internet Access for awhile and wanted to update MBAM on my laptop ... I did go to GT500 download site and the darn Definitions Rule are 10 days OLD ...

Q: Can MBAM have a Reliable Offline Download place that is Regularly Updated!?!?

Thanks,

why do you think 10 days is a big deal?

also, you obviously now have internet access (somewhere), so you can install mbam there, update it and then copy rules.ref to machine without web access...

this really is not an issue.

Hi i4004,

Thanks for the heads up ... actually my laptop is not on the same network ... i am in a funny situation ... nonetheless ... i am back up and running now. And 10 days, i suppose it is not a big deal ... i guess you are right ... just sharing info ...

Hi i4004,

Thanks for the heads up ... actually my laptop is not on the same network ... i am in a funny situation ... nonetheless ... i am back up and running now. And 10 days, i suppose it is not a big deal ... i guess you are right ... just sharing info ...

surely, one can put file(s) on usb flash memory stick, or burn them on cd-rw or so...and transfer them to other pc in that way.

i don't connect infected machines to web OR my network, so this offline update is extremely nice thing for me.

usually i use cd-rw to transfer stuff, that way i'm sure nothing will get infected in suspicious (infected) machine.

(as i'm not so sure what will be written to usb flash stick)