File Execution Blocking and Updating

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking 2 things in my post, but here goes. Can someone please explain file execution blocking to me briefly and tell me why I should check that box under protection. Is it vital for protection or is it just an added feature?

As for Updating with the new scheduler. Do I have to have the Protection Module running in order to execute updates by the scheduler? Does the app have to be running in the tray for the updates to execute? If not, how do I go about updating without running the protection module. I've already tried the most simple way of setting and forgetting without MBAM running in the tray and nothing happens, so if there's a way to run MBAM's updater without running real time protection, please let me know.

Hi julio99 -

The "file execution blocking" you refer to seems to relate to your Anti virus program working along with Malwarebytes -

Some A/V programs see Malwarebytes as an "intruder" and attempt to block the loading of our program and required updates - Taking this action will allow access to Malwarebytes updates that in many cases would not be available -

As to Manually updating, this can be done at any time by going to Start > Programs > Malwarebytes, or you may have an Icon on your screen - Once the Red front panel is in front of you , there is a tab at the top of the red panel marked Update - Click on that and then click on Update and it will check if you are up to date with Version numbers - As I typed this I checked that the current Version is 3972 by using that method -

I hope this has in some way helped to answer the question - If you need further information please ask -

Thank You - :D

Hi julio99 -

The "file execution blocking" you refer to seems to relate to your Anti virus program working along with Malwarebytes -

Some A/V programs see Malwarebytes as an "intruder" and attempt to block the loading of our program and required updates - Taking this action will allow access to Malwarebytes updates that in many cases would not be available -

As to Manually updating, this can be done at any time by going to Start > Programs > Malwarebytes, or you may have an Icon on your screen - Once the Red front panel is in front of you , there is a tab at the top of the red panel marked Update - Click on that and then click on Update and it will check if you are up to date with Version numbers - As I typed this I checked that the current Version is 3972 by using that method -

I hope this has in some way helped to answer the question - If you need further information please ask -

Thank You - :D

What I meant concerning the Updates were, Does the Malwarebytes program have to be running in the tray in order to have scheduled updates. In the previous build I was able to get my updates on a schedule without having to run the real time protection, via the Task Scheduler. With this new build I was unsure if I could get auto updates without running MBAM in real time, with the protection going. It seems as though you have to run 1.45 with Protection to get the update scheduler to work. If there's a way to get the auto updates without running real time protection, I'd like to know if it's possible. Also thanks for the File Execution explanation. That fixed that for me.