Wmiprvse.exe error & startup problems

Hi,

Yesterday my computer (with Windows XP) became very slow and started giving error messages about Wmiprvse.exe and an I/O problem. I did not have time to try to fix it, so I shut down without writing down the exact error message.

When I rebooted last night, I got an error message that my user name and password had been corrupted. I tried logging in using Safe Mode, but couldn't. I was able to log on using Safe Mode with Networking, so I did so and saved my files to an external hard drive (which I worry may also now be infected). In Safe Mode, I ran MBAM (although not the newest version) and it did not find anything malicious. I continued to get the same Wmiprvse.exe error messages. I shut down without copying the MBAM log to my desktop.

This morning I tried to start up my computer using Safe Mode and none of the options I tried worked: Safe mode; Safe mode with Networking; Last known good configuration; or Start Windows normally. When I select one of the options, I see the long list of files, but get redirected back to the same Safe Mode choice screen: "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully." If I wait 26 seconds, Windows tries to start but soon takes me back to the same Safe mode option screen.

I do not know how to circumvent the startup problem I'm currently experiencing, or how to get you a copy of my MBAM log. I am not familiar with DOS commands, but I suppose that might be my next step. Thank you for any advice you can give...