antivirus

antivirus  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

avast uses 6 mb of ram?

i know it uses 30 mb of ram

avira 10 uses 14 mb at most

if you don't like 10 go to 9

and thats another reason i don't like MSE

the illegal thing

you don't have to have original windows for avira

thats wonderful not that my windows is fake

it is orginal

Microsoft Security Essentials is great basic protection, is easy to use and easy to understand, A great choice for a novice user

Exactly. However, some of my findings make it hard to recommend to experience users. :blink: I would go with Avira for more advanced antivirus software, as MSE does not protect it's files from deletion/termination.

@ Buttons :blink: I completely agree with you there, it wouldn't be my first choice to recommend to a more experienced user, I tried it out once and didn't like it so well I wanted more options to play with, I'm currently using Avast Pro Anti-Virus this is the first time I've used it and I think I'm really going to like it its got tons of options :) Avira has some great products too but as you said earlier in this thread "It all goes down to opinion" :)

• 5 months later...

I like MSE as well. It's performing nicely on one XP SP3 Pro laptop, an XP XP3 Media Center Edition desktop, and an Home Vista Premium (SP2?) laptop. I am a former AVG free user and I changed over to MSE when AVG came out with version 9.x. My computers both perform much better with MSE, they don't seem to get as bogged down. And MSE is the one I would definitely recommend for the novice (or the person who prefers to just 'set and forget', like my son, the owner of the Vista laptop.)

I just tested with an eicar file to review MSE's actions when it finds a threat. Whenever an antimalware product detects something, I prefer to do more research before I act on it (unless I'm really sure it's not a false positive, like if it's in a temp folder or something like that). With MSE, if it detects something, you can click on 'show more detail' and then you'll get the screen that gives you the option to allow, quarantine or 'clean'. And 'clean' means it's gone forever from your computer, so one had better be sure before allowing that. Microsoft is not easy to convince re false positives, in my experience, however. But fortunately, there haven't been that many, and none of them were crucial. I also expect MSE to at least not falsely detect one of its own system files as malicious. :)

And MSE is the one I would definitely recommend for the novice (or the person who prefers to just 'set and forget', like my son, the owner of the Vista laptop.)

I agree with Crush

Avast user here but, MSE is really the most "idiot proof"
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=245182