Log files listed with binary data

Hello malwarebite, and welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org :)

I'm not sure what you are talking about here? That's pretty much normal, mine looks like that too.

As a side note, please use the "ADD REPLY" button at the bottom of the page.

Thank you :)

post-13640-1270653652_thumb.jpg

No, you are right, I am not a developer or anything like that. :) I don't entirely know what that means, but I can look it up.

Yes. lets wait for someone on Staff to answer your question.

• Staff
protection*.txt is binary

had one for each day this week in the Logs tab

paid and registered version 1.45 with all updates

15559nb.jpg

Thanks, but what is the point of this, do the logs open up and are you able to read them?

• Staff
yes, I can certainly open it but the data can not be read in UltraEdit or Notepad

I can switch to hex mode and start parsing the data but certainly not easy to figure out the content

I have 3 operating systems, XP, Vista and W7, every one of them opens the log in Notepad, something is wrong on your system if it's not coming up in Notepad

there is no issue, no problem with mbam-log*.txt

here is the pictured protection*.txt, have at it

location is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\protection-log-2010-03-15.txt

in hex mode on and hex mode off in latest version of UltraEdit

kdkhoh.jpg

1eo7b.jpg

• Staff
there is no issue, no problem with mbam-log*.txt

here is the pictured protection*.txt, have at it

location is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\protection-log-2010-03-15.txt

in hex mode on and hex mode off in latest version of UltraEdit

kdkhoh.jpg

1eo7b.jpg

There is still an issue on your system, all our logs open in Notepad by default, you have file associations tweaked or something.

• Staff
no filesystem errors

mbam*.txt are normal text files, protection*.txt are binary

windows event logs are also clean, no issues with anything

this is my primary development box, I write code for a living

While that may be true, there is clearly something out of the ordinary. From tens of millions of users, you're the first one to have this issue.

If you have run a full sector disk check and the problem still persists, please do the following:

(1) Please zip the protection log(s) you are having issues with and attach the zip file to your next post.

(2) Perform a clean reinstall of MBAM.

• Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

If this does not fix the problem, please run DDS and Autoruns and attach the logs to your next post:

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop

• Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here and save it to your desktop.
    • Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you also need to do the following:
      1. Right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Properties
      2. Click on the Compatibility tab
      3. Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
      4. Click on Apply then click OK

[*]Double-click Autoruns.exe to run it.

[*]Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.

[*]Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures

[*]Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.

[*]When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.

[*]Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder

[*]Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

• Staff
The log file is obviously a Unicode file encoded with UTF-16 LE without a BOM (Byte Order Mark).

Maybe the author of the software creating the log files can fix this.

The log files do not have the UTF-16 LE BOM at top of the file as UTF-16 encoded files should have.

I'm doubtful there needs to be anything fixed here regardless of your coding abilites.

You're the only person to have this happen from likely hundreds of millions of logs generated oiver the years. How can thre be anythng wrong? Or is the rest of the world crazy and youre the only sane one? lol

• Root Admin

Well I've been doing computer support and programming for over 20 years and no we will not be changing the logging file format. It is currently working as expected in 38 different languages and so far your report is the first one ever that I can locate which leads me to believe that something on your system is either set wrong or interfering somehow.

We can certainly attempt to try and help you track it down though.