Need help w/how to stop norton from running full scans and background checks when doing full scan w/ Malwarebytes

Hi,

While running Malwarebytes full scan, norton internet security may also run a full scan. Or it may perform background tasks. I've seen it doing both since just updated to nis2010.

I was wondering if there is a way to stop norton from doing both while running malwarebytes? I wouldn't want to disable the a/v while running malwarebytes as I would probably forget to turn it back on.

Thanks for your help. :)

Michelle

The only way to prevent Norton 2010's Idle Full scan from running whenever the system is idle is to actually schedule a Full Scan for a specific time, even if it's only once, and the date has already past, it will prevent it from running. As for the Idle Quick Scan, there is no way to prevent it.

Your only other option would be to put Norton into Silent Mode, which as I recall, disables all background tasks until you put it back into normal mode.

Your best bet would simply be to schedule the Full Scan with Norton for a different time/day etc from your Malwarebytes' scan so they don't conflict.

• Root Admin

Ah yes... I remember that "feature" from Symantec. Please tell me they're not still forcing that on users even in the new version. That was very annoying as it often did not know what or when idle time was and would seem to always be scanning something in the background slowing the computer down.

Ah yes... I remember that "feature" from Symantec. Please tell me they're not still forcing that on users even in the new version. That was very annoying as it often did not know what or when idle time was and would seem to always be scanning something in the background slowing the computer down.

Yes, it's in NIS 2010 as well :). The Idle Quick Scan cannot be disabled at all and will run automatically after ten minutes of inactivity regardless of settings and your only hope of stopping it once it's begun is to open Norton's user interfact and click the Norton Tasks link on the left where it shows current CPU usage and then click the stop button next to Idle Quick Scan. Ten minutes later it will start again.

Hi!

Thank you both so much for your replies! You gave me information I needed to understand what was going on and how to change it.

I selected a date/time for a run 'once' full sys scan and so now NIS has stopped the full scans. yay!! :)

I sure appreciate your help!

Have a great weekend! :):D:):)

You're welcome :)

That's exactly the same method I used on the PC I had Norton on as that full scan was interrupting work. I ended up setting it for a date and time that had already passed so it never ran at all :D. Of course, if I want to I can always run it manually, but this way it won't interrupt what I'm doing.