• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello again druggas :)

Please do the following:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @echo off
    if exist "%allusersprofile%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" echo All Users Startup Folder Exists>"%userprofile%\desktop\Check.txt"
    if exist "%allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" echo All Users Startup Folder Exists>>"%userprofile%\desktop\Check.txt"
    if exist "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" echo Current User's Startup Folder Exists>>"%userprofile%\desktop\Check.txt"
    if exist "%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" echo Current User's Startup Folder Exists>>"%userprofile%\desktop\Check.txt"
    "%userprofile%\desktop\Check.txt"
    del /f /q "%userprofile%\desktop\Check.txt"
    del /f /q %0

Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...

• In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file Info.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.
  • Once it finishes it will open the file it created in notepad, please copy and paste the file's contents into your next reply.

Hello again druggas :)

Please do the following:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @echo off
    if exist "%allusersprofile%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" echo All Users Startup Folder Exists>"%userprofile%\desktop\Check.txt"
    if exist "%allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" echo All Users Startup Folder Exists>>"%userprofile%\desktop\Check.txt"
    if exist "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" echo Current User's Startup Folder Exists>>"%userprofile%\desktop\Check.txt"
    if exist "%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" echo Current User's Startup Folder Exists>>"%userprofile%\desktop\Check.txt"
    "%userprofile%\desktop\Check.txt"
    del /f /q "%userprofile%\desktop\Check.txt"
    del /f /q %0

• In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file Info.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Once it finishes it will open the file it created in notepad, please copy and paste the file's contents into your next reply.

All Users Startup Folder Exists

Current User's Startup Folder Exists

Please try creating another user account that has Admin rights on the computer, then restart the computer and logon with that new account.

Then use the clean removal process and re-install the program and let us know if that works or not.

I formatted my HD and now all is well. I can now run 1.46 with no problems.

Hello all :)

Please do the following and post your results, it will check for the presence of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's drivers on your system:

@color 48
    @echo off
    if exist "%windir%\system32\drivers\mbam.sys" dir "%windir%\system32\drivers" /l /a /b /s|find "mbam.sys">>"%cd%\MBAM Check.txt"
    if exist "%windir%\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys" dir "%windir%\system32\drivers" /l /a /b /s|find "mbamswissarmy.sys">>"%cd%\MBAM Check.txt"
    if exist "%windir%\syswow64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys" dir "%windir%\syswow64\drivers" /l /a /b /s|find "mbamswissarmy.sys">>"%cd%\MBAM Check.txt"
    "%cd%\MBAM Check.txt"
    del /f /q "%cd%\MBAM Check.txt"
    del /f /q %0

• Name the file Check.bat (the .bat extension is very important)

Hi.

I have did run Check.bat. It come out with a notepad with the following message. But it is still doesn't make the thing works

c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Please do the following to see if it corrects it:

Correct Error Expanding Variables:

Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 you MUST right-click on the file and select "Run as administrator".

• Please copy and paste the following text in the Code box exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @color 48
    @echo off
    if exist "%allusersprofile%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" md "%allusersprofile%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
    if not exist "%allusersprofile%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" md "%allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
    if exist "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" md "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
    if not exist "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" md "%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
    del /f /q %0

• Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...
  • Name the file Fix.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it if using Windows XP. If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 you MUST right-click on the file and select Run as administrator otherwise it will not work.
  • Once that's complete try running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again to see if it now works without error or not.

Please do the following to see if it corrects it:

Correct Error Expanding Variables:

Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 you MUST right-click on the file and select "Run as administrator".

• Please copy and paste the following text in the Code box exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @color 48
    @echo off
    if exist "%allusersprofile%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" md "%allusersprofile%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
    if not exist "%allusersprofile%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" md "%allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
    if exist "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" md "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
    if not exist "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" md "%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
    del /f /q %0

• Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...
  • Name the file Fix.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it if using Windows XP. If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 you MUST right-click on the file and select Run as administrator otherwise it will not work.
  • Once that's complete try running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again to see if it now works without error or not.

Maybe a clue here. Two days ago MBAM ran fine, but today I got those messages you're all talking about. But yesterday I installed Skype plus my Logitech webcam on my Win7/64 computer. So I did a system restore back to two days ago, and now all is fine. [i presume there's no solution to all this yet, as best I can tell after wading thru 5 pages of postings]

So far, in most cases at least, putting the startup folders back in the Start Menu has corrected the issue, including for several users in this topic, and several users that I and others have dealt with in customer support. There do appear to be at least a few cases, such as yours, where this has not corrected the problem unfortunately, so there doesn't seem to be a single cause for this issue in all situations, but the startup folder issue is one of them.

You're most welcome. I wish we could find all the causes of this, as there do seem to be several, but my best guess based on what I've observed so far is that it's somehow related to certain user and system folders and/or default registry entries being altered from normal in some way. I've also noticed that many users have been able to correct it when all else failed by doing one of two things:

1. Using System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state (as you did)
  2. Creating a second administrative user account in Windows and installing Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in that new user account

What's interesting, and what leads me to the hypothesis I have about this issue, is that each of those two things will create/re-create certain default or previous settings, including many default registry keys, and in some cases, default folders. The real question is, what is being altered and what is altering it. If we knew that, we'd be able to figure out how to fix it in all cases, but since it appears to have several causes, we'll have to keep looking at it on a case by case basis, which can be quite difficult and tedious when a difinitive cause for the problem cannot be found.

I'll keep searching though, and hopefully one day we'll get this issue nailed down once and for all for all situations.

Hello

I have a problem:

System Windows XP SP2 (IE6), MbAM v1.46 Portable worked perfectly for several months.

Updated IE6 -> IE8.

Got known bugs:

MBAM ERROR EXPANDING VARIABLES (0, 9)

MBAM ERROR MISSING FILE (3, 0, mbamswissarmy.sys)

All other programs are working properly.

Uninstalling IE8 does not change anything.

At the same time MbAM v1.44 Portable started normally.

I hope for your help.

I looked up this forum thread and saw that most of the councils - the wrong target. If you'd read carefully my question, you may quickly find the correct solution.

Sorry.

I read it, and re-read it. You stated that you're using a portable version, that means it didn't come from us and we won't support it and whoever created it is in violation of our licensing agreement.

Calm down. I just tried to divert you from the vicious circle. Attach a purely hypothetically your advice to the portable version of the program and you will understand that there are not looking for. Just strange that solid company within six months can not bring your product to order. I wanted to help. Once again, sorry.

I understand, you're indicating a possible connection between upgrading from Internet Explorer 6 to Internet Explorer 8 as a possible cause of the problem in some scenarios. I do appreciate the information, so please take no offense, I was simply trying to point out that any issues related to the portable version(s) aren't any that we can deal with or support.

It is also quite possible that upgrading IE only affected the portable versions and not the legitimate version, otherwise I suspect we would see many more users with this problem.

Update (especially IE6) affected and the legitimate version. I gave an example of a portable version for narrowing the range of search problems (because it has everything one needs to work inside the container). By the way, all the other portable programs are not affected. Maybe, especially without delving into the essence, simply return to the code MbAM v1.44?

On the affected systems have you tried uninstalling IE8, rebooting, installing IE7, rebooting, then upgrading to IE8? I'm just curious if that would work or not.

As for the code, we will not be returning to the code base of 1.44. While this may be a bug in the newer versions, we'd rather repair the problem in current versions than take a step backwards to an older, less efficient and less effective code base.