Malwarebytes trashed windows xp

My mum complained her PC was running slow so I suggested she download and run malwarebytes.

She did, and it found an astonishing 1100 threats. She removed them.

Then shut down and tried to re start the PC and it failed. Some diagnostics work found it was failing on VIAIDEXP.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

Long story short, the only way to get her running again was a repair install of windows XP from CD.

Once re installed another malwarebytes scan showed no threats, so it had removed them. It's just a pity it trashed her windows XP install in the process.

Has anyone ever encountered that before? it's certainly made me wary of running malwarebytes more often than absolutely necessary.

• Staff
My mum complained her PC was running slow so I suggested she download and run malwarebytes.

She did, and it found an astonishing 1100 threats. She removed them.

Then shut down and tried to re start the PC and it failed. Some diagnostics work found it was failing on VIAIDEXP.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

Long story short, the only way to get her running again was a repair install of windows XP from CD.

Once re installed another malwarebytes scan showed no threats, so it had removed them. It's just a pity it trashed her windows XP install in the process.

Has anyone ever encountered that before? it's certainly made me wary of running malwarebytes more often than absolutely necessary.

More than likely this is a result of corruption from the malware. Happens often.

If at all possible post your log into the HijackThis forum.

Pro Dave -

Can you please follow these steps as per TeMerc, above - Our experts will fully check the system -

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Thank You - :)

Pro Dave -

Can you please follow these steps as per TeMerc, above - Our experts will fully check the system -

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

That's a lot to take in.

My wife is at my mum's house for the rest of today and she comes home tomorrow. So the most I can hope her to do is quickly find the log file(s) it created and email them to me.

to help me do that very quickly, can you give me the file names and default path where I will find any log files it created.

Is her 1100 threats a record?

Protection logs in XP are here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Scan logs in XP are here :

C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Or, alternatively, in the Logs tab of the MBAM gui, you can just doubleclick the log files to open them.

If that is Real then it is a lot - If that is what the infection says then you most likely only have 3 or 4 Real infections -

It sounds like the Full (paid) version is required for much better protection - At the small Lifetime license cost it will save almost all these problems -

• Staff
Not remotely close, we've had users with tens of thousands of infections listed.

Pretty sure I've had a test box buggered with more than that and still had to use third party tools to fully clean up.