Shutter like sound when IP Protection is triggered ?

I'm having a very odd issue, and are trying to pin it down.

From time to time I hear the sound like somone taking a picture from my computer.

Being the paranoiac I am I started digging and have only found some references to the search dog animation in windows XP, this don't help me thou :)

I am running Windows 7 Utlimate 64 bit.

I shut down all my active programs (firefox,skype, etc), closed all explorer windows and such, but I still get the camera shutter sound played back at random times

(I timed it on a stop clock :) )

I noticed that the IP blocker in MBAM sometimes would pop up a "blocker ip" bubble when the sound plays..this makes me...worry :)

So my question here before I go to the malware forum anbd start posting hijack this logs is : Does MBAM play a sound whenever it blocks an IP or should I implement my "nuke from orbit" directive ?

Hello Per and welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org :)

It's never happened to me before, but then again I usually have my speakers off unless I am watching/listening to something on my computer.

Are you sure it isn't more of a "pop" sound? I think that that is normal.

At any rate, I'll test this next time I am at my computer to see what happens :)

As a side note, when replying, please use the "add reply" button located at the bottom of the page.

Thank you :)

Ah .. very speedy :)

Yes it's most definitly the sound of a camera shutter.

Also I have no WebCam so no weirdness there either.

I've tried to google it and have found some old articles, but unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that want to either turn off their cameras "taking picture" sound or replace it :)

Right now I'm watching the Task manager to see what process increases in memory size when the playback happens :)

:)

Hmm, well, if its definitely not a pop sound (and this pop sound happens to me every time [when the sound is on that is] I have a bubble notification whether its an IP block or safely removing a flash drive or updating Mbam etc... and again, I will check mine when I am at my computer again) then you COULD be infected.

Do you have any other signs that you could be infected or have you recently been infected?

I had a brush with something a month or so back.

But MBAM + 2 external scanners and my AV took care of it, I also put the machine "on notice" in my firewall (Running Shorewall on a linux box for firewall) and it was behaving properly.

Still run scans every night and nothing there..going to start a deep scan now before I go to bed..this is driving me up the wall :)

Well you could have a remnant of an infection or the sound system file could have been replaced by the malware.

I would get checked just in case (don't worry about this now, get some sleep first :))

Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

Please note that it may take 48 hours or more for you to receive a response in the malware removal forum, as it is often busy at times. Please do not reply to your own post asking for help unless its been more than 48 hours since you originally posted, as this can make it appear as though you are being helped and take longer for you to get help.

If you are unable to do all or any of the steps in the link to the directions above, just post your problem into the forum I gave you a link to anyway and someone will be able to assist you.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Thank you :)

You're welcome :)

Good luck!

And just so you know, I did just test the IP blocker and I get a "pop" noise. Same is true for any bubble that pops up on the task tray - pop noise.

• 2 years later...

Was this issue ever resolved? I am having the exact same problem... random camera shutter sound. It happened as soon as my computer boots up, even before opening any programs.

Hello and welcome, playmill:

This is a really, really old topic. ;)

However, it appears that you also posted a new topic over in the malware removal section here: http://forums.malwar...howtopic=123149 :)

Please wait for assistance over in that topic.

One of the malware helpers will assist you there with this issue.

If there are any unresolved issues after your malware helper gives you the "all clear", he/she may refer you to the PC Help section of the forum for further assistance, if needed.

Thanks!

daledoc1