Change color of blinking item on taskbar

I was just wondering if it is possible to change the color of an item on the taskbar from blinking orange when its ready/needs attention to another color?

XP SP3

Yes, it can be done, but doing so would be far beyond what most users would be willing to go through as it would require modification of a system file to do so, there is no setting in the OS to actually do it. The only alternative would be the use of a non-Microsoft theme, which still requires modification/patching of system files so either way it's not something I would recommend for anyone unless they're very knowledgeable and/or willing to run the risk of breaking their OS and having to reinstall.

Oh, okay.

hehe, just thought I'd ask.

First option doesn't sound too bad though, depending on how long it would take.

I think I'll just stick to my orange, although it is good to know that its possible... hehe

• 1 month later...
Yes, it can be done, but doing so would be far beyond what most users would be willing to go through as it would require modification of a system file to do so, there is no setting in the OS to actually do it.

So, do you know the steps I'd have to go through? I am willing to do anything, because the flashing orange drives me insane. I had to uninstall my skinning program because it kept messing up, so I'd rather just tweak the default XP theme. I'm sure I'm knowledgeable enough not to ruin Windows in the process.

I believe it can be done in XP if you right click on the Desktop then Properties then Appearance then Advanced then in Item: select ToolTip then Color 1:

I have not figured out how to change it in Windows 7 though.

I believe it can be done in XP if you right click on the Desktop then Properties then Appearance then Advanced then in Item: select ToolTip then Color 1:

I have not figured out how to change it in Windows 7 though.

It can't be changed in any settings, it's a fixed .bmp file within XP's theme. I just need to know how to access it so it can be replaced with something less obnoxious.