"User Protection" Malware

ogb

I have been infected by "User Protection"!

I have Windows XP Professional.

It has such control as to prevent me from accessing Windows on boot up whether normal, safe mode, safe mode "networking". It simply delivers up it's false scanning window and several bogus alerts.

When I boot through safe mode "command line" I can access my C drive but my limited knowledge of DOS prevents me from doing anything effectively. I have Malwarebytes installed but I'm not able to run mbam.exe from there as I get a runtime error message.

I can run an AVG scan but when it's done I have no idea of what to do next as my DOS is so limited.

I can't run regedit as it advises me I must have administrator privilege (which I do but . . .).

Your guidance will be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

If you still need help with this please do the following

I need you to copy a few programs below to removable media.

Download DDS and save it to your removable drive from here.

Download GMER by clicking download exe -button and then saving it your removable drive.

--To be done in your system with issues --

Access your removable drive and run dds. In an example below I use drive e: as my removable drive:

1. In command prompt type e: and press enter.

2. Type dds.scr and press enter. Wait for DDS to finish its run.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

DDS.txt

Attach.txt

Save both reports to removable drive and use working system to post them back to your topic.

Then let's run GMER (I assume that downloaded randomly named GMER is hs5ftihv.exe. Yours will be a different one).

1. In command prompt type e: and press enter.

2. Type hs5ftihv.exe and press enter.

Click rootkit-tab and then scan.

Don't check

Show All

box while scanning in progress!

When scanning is ready, click Save and save the log into your removable drive.

Post the log into your reply.

• Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.