mbam.exe /runupdate

Thanks for the confirmation. I could have just read sbwhiteman's thread my apologies.

I'll have to admit I'm a bit irritated that the functionality was removed from the free version after sending a few machines out the door with this in the scheduler. Easily remedied with taskkill /im mbam.exe /f /t following the /update and prior to the /fullscanterminate however.

• Root Admin

Well all is well and good if doing this on your own system, but if you're using this as part of a business then you're in violation of the EULA as the free version is not allowed to be used on any business, government, educational, non-profit organization operations without Corporate or Technician Licensing. As a home user if you're going to this much trouble then the $24.95 for a lifetime license really isn't all that much is it?

The command line should launch the update but it will produce a dialog box and is no longer be silent on the free version.

Thank you.

Hold on there tex, you assume wrong. I am fully aware of your licensing and I conduct my business with strict adherence to ethical and legal boundaries. I was referring to family and friends for which I am not compensated a nickel.

My perception is the mindset at MB has changed - profit first, customer second. Whose boneheaded idea was it to break existing functionality and leave some cryptic error on the screen? For Christ's sake you could at least have /runupdate execute /update leaving the customer a friendly dialog. Geez...

I guess malwarebytes.com is more in order...

Ok I feel better now :rolleyes:

Mike W, just use /update instead of /runupdate.

I just tried this and it does work. I tried using the -silent to get it to run without opening the program but it didn't work. The issue is if I just ue the /update it works but leaves me with an "OK" button that I have to press to quit the program. Which is fine if I am at the computer.

What is the command to run it in the background without opening the program. As I noted the /update does work for me

• Root Admin
I just tried this and it does work. I tried using the -silent to get it to run without opening the program but it didn't work. The issue is if I just ue the /update it works but leaves me with an "OK" button that I have to press to quit the program. Which is fine if I am at the computer.

What is the command to run it in the background without opening the program. As I noted the /update does work for me

If you want it to be fully silent then you'll need to purchase the program.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Key Features

* Support for Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 (32-bit and 64-bit).

* Light speed quick scanning.

* Ability to perform full scans for all drives.

* Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware protection module. (requires registration)

* Database updates released daily.

* Quarantine to hold threats and restore them at your convenience.

* Ignore list for both the scanner and Protection Module.

* Settings to enhance your Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware performance.

* A small list of extra utilities to help remove malware manually.

* Multi-lingual support.

* Works together with other anti-malware utilities.

* Command line support for quick scanning.

* Context menu integration to scan files on demand.

• 1 month later...

Here's a way around this that I use on my XP server. Create separate scheduled tasks for Update and for Scan.

1. "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /update
  2. "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe" /fullscanterminate

The paths are the default from installation, but your particular machine may be different. I recommend setting a schedule to start the first task 30 minutes before the second one. Use the Settings tab on the first task end the task in 10 minutes if it doesn't complete. This will shut it down the update without anyone having to press the Ok button.

FWIW, this is a personal server that is not used for commercial purposes.

Thanks for the confirmation. I could have just read sbwhiteman's thread my apologies.

I'll have to admit I'm a bit irritated that the functionality was removed from the free version after sending a few machines out the door with this in the scheduler. Easily remedied with taskkill /im mbam.exe /f /t following the /update and prior to the /fullscanterminate however.

Hey Mike. Could you just explain what exactly to do with the taskkill /im mbam.exe /f /t in terms of creating the Task? I understand that it should come after update and before the full scan, but what EXACTLY do you put in the Task Scheduler for it? Usually you select a program (i.e. mbam.exe) and than add the command line stuff after that. I tried and it didn't work, so obviously I am not understanding fully. Beyond that too, will the program still update even though the process is killed? Thanks!