Help with pesky virus

My pals laptop is infected with ROOTKIT.TDSS, mbam finds 4 infected files, click to remove, have to reboot, rescan after reboot and they are still there.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44

Database version: 3927

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

29/03/2010 20:28:59

mbam-log-2010-03-29 (20-28-54).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 112215

Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 48 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 2

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\_VOID (Rootkit.TDSS) -> No action taken.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\_VOIDd.sys (Rootkit.TDSS) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\_VOIDmainqt.dll (Rootkit.TDSS) -> No action taken.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Macromedia\SwUpdate\Local.dtd (Malware.Trace) -> No action taken.

Any help to get rid of this bugger please?

Stevie

ps Hi im new :)

Hi steviewilson,

Welcome to the forum.

My nickname is deltalima and I will be helping you with your computer problems.

The logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me.

Please note the following:

• I will working be on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
  • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • If after 3 days you have not responded to this topic, it will be closed, and you will need to start a new one.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.

Download and run OTL

Download OTL by Old Timer and save it to your Desktop.

• Double click on OTL.exe to run it.
  • Under Output, ensure that Minimal Output is selected.
  • Under Extra Registry section, select Use SafeList.
  • Click the Scan All Users checkbox.
  • Click on Run Scan at the top left hand corner.
  • When done, two Notepad files will open.
    • OTL.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extras.txt <-- Will be minimized

[*]Please post the contents of these 2 Notepad files in your next reply.

Please download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here.

• Double click the .exe file. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent
  • If it gives you a warning at program start about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run a scan...click NO.
  • Run Gmer again and click on the Rootkit tab.
  • Look at the right hand side (under Files) and uncheck all drives with the exception of your C drive.
  • Make sure all other boxes on the right of the screen are checked, EXCEPT for "Show All".
  • Click on the "Scan" and wait for the scan to finish.
    Note: Before scanning, make sure all other running programs are closed and no other actions like a scheduled antivirus scan will occur while this scan completes. Also do not use your computer during the scan.
  • When completed, click on the Copy button and right-click on your Desktop, choose "New" > Text document. Once the file is created, open it and right-click again and choose Paste or Ctrl+V. Save the file as gmer.txt and copy the information in your next reply.
  • Note: If you have any problems, try running GMER in SAFE MODE

Important! Please do not select the "Show all" checkbox during the scan..

Please post the GMER log along with OTL.txt and Extras.txt from the OTL scan into your next reply.

Hi steviewilson,

TDSSKiller

• Download the file TDSSKiller.zip and save it on your desktop
  • Extract the file tdskiller.zip, it will create a folder named tdsskiller on your desktop
  • Next double-click the tdsskiller Folder on your desktop.
  • Next right-click on tdsskiller.exe and click Copy then Paste it directly on to your Desktop.
  • Highlight and copy the text in the codebox below.
    "%userprofile%\desktop\tdsskiller.exe" -l "%userprofile%\desktop\tdsskiller.txt"

• Click Start, click Run... and paste the text above into the Open: line and click OK.
  • Wait for the scan and disinfection process to be over.
  • Open tdskiller.txt on your desktop and post the contents in your next reply

Hi steviewilson,

Please post the log from the last Malwarebytes scan.

Well for some reason the log never saved! So I removed the highlighted files and malicious files, rebooted, did another scan and ZERO infections came up! I did a HJT scan and have included that log.

Think Im out the water now? Fingers crossed!

Stevie

Hi steviewilson,

Think Im out the water now? Fingers crossed!

It's looking good, as a final check, please go to

Kaspersky website and perform an online antivirus scan.

1. Read through the requirements and privacy statement and click on Accept button.
  2. It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions. You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click Run.
  3. When the downloads have finished, click on Settings.
  4. Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button:
    • Spyware, Adware, Dialers, and other potentially dangerous programs
      Archives

[*]Click on My Computer under Scan.

[*]Once the scan is complete, it will display the results. Click on View Scan Report.

[*]You will see a list of infected items there. Click on Save Report As....

[*]Save this report to a convenient place. Change the Files of type to Text file (.txt) before clicking on the Save button.

[*]Please post this log in your next reply and also let me know how your computer is running now.

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!