unresponsive computer, not locked up

GAW1000

I removed the XP Defender Pro virus or malware or whatever you call it. Now my computer will start up normal and I can run programs such as msconfig, regedit, notepad to name a few but the first time I try to open any program stored under C:\Program Files the computer becomes unresponsive. The mouse changes to an hourglass as if it's working but then goes back to a mouse pointer. I can move the pointer around so the puter is not locked up but no programs will start, not even the progams that I could run before. Also I can shut offf and restart puter before attempting to run a program files program but after trying to run any program under program files I cannot even shut down the puter normal, the only way to shut it down is to hold in the power button until it shuts down. I get the same results any time I click on the My Networks icon on the desktop. I'm almost bald already so any help before I pull out the rest of my hair would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

The changes the malware made to your computer have not been completely rectified. So the problem is still malware related.

We can only work on malware problems in the Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs forum, not the PC Help forum.

If you would like expert help with the problem, please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org