Unable to resolve DNS for MalwareBytes.org

Here is the issue I am running in to right now. I have a computer I am working on that will not resolve DNS for MalwareBytes to get its updates. I'll list what I have done/tried so far.

I can ping and run nslookup on pretty much any website and it works fine. So far the ones I have tried are:

google.com

msn.com

yahoo.com

digg.com

craigslist.org (to make sure its not a issue resolveing .org domains)

Those all resolve IP's and ping without issue.

I have checked to make sure the computer is set to DHCP, and that it is getting proper DNS server IP's. I know the DNS server at my work is able to resolve malwarebytes.org, it will resolve without issue on any other computer on the network.

IP's i cannot resolve are 'malwarebytes.org' or 'mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org', when I try to ping those i get:

"Ping request could not find host malwarebytes.org."

"Ping request could not find host mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org."

When i try to run nslookup i get:

>malwarebytes.org

Server: server.xxxx.local (the xxx our our domain name)

Address: 192.168.4.10 (that is the proper IP for our DNS server)

DNS request timed out.

Timeout was 2 seconds.

I have also tried manually changing the DNS server to 4.2.2.2 (public OpenDNS server on the internet) no change in behavior.

I have checked the hosts file, it is clean. I have run a repair install of windows. I have run the norton cleanup utility (machine had norton internet security, its firewall can cause issues if it is not uninstalled properly). Also manually, and using 'winsockxpfix.exe' (tcp/ip repair utility) fixed/reset TCP/IP to defaults. Checked Internet properties in control panel and made sure everything was set to defaults. Checked and disabled windows firewall in case it was causing a issue.

I am able to ping malwarebytes.org by IP address, the only problem I am having is with DNS name resolution.

The machine was full of malware garbage when i first started looking at it. I have a feeling this issue is from something leftover that i have not been able to find/clean off yet due to the only site I am having a issue with is a malware cleanup utility site, probably done on purpose by the writers of the malware.

If I think of any other things I have done on this machine that may be relevant for troubleshooting purposes I will append this post.

Thanks,

Patrick

Hello NinjaTech, and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

As you were infected before, it is quite possible that something is still lurking around in your computer that is preventing you from updating (as you mentioned). Best thing to do is get some help from the experts by following the instructions listed below.

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Please note that it may take 72 hours or more for you to receive a response in the malware removal forum, as it is often busy at times. Please do not reply to your own post asking for help unless its been more than 72 hours since you originally posted, as this can make it appear as though you are being helped and take longer for you to get help.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

If you are a corporate customer please send an email to corporate-support@malwarebytes.org. (NOTE: An order number is required for corporate support.)