can't update

because the button on the update tab is greyed out!

i even reinstalled the s/w (free version) and still have the same issue. wasn't like this prior to a couple weeks/month ago and is not an issue on the comp at work (dif o/s tho, xp).

what i have here is win7 home premium. i do have spybot on here and i do have teatimer turned on (although, i have that at work, too and can updates with no problems). hmm, just checked processes and teatimer is NOT running as it should be.

using windows firewall and i just set it to allow mb - no change, so i think i need to restart to make it flow?

i think i may have something on here, too, in fact, i'm pretty sure there is something on here - too many things aren't right. and i really, really, really want to run a scan with malwarebytes when i'm sure it updated. i did the reinstall the other day (25th) and ran a full scan and nothing was found. a scan before that did find something - i think that was just homepage re-director (and i've never been redirected after opening ie). currently running spybot - that updated with no problem. once that's done, i'll restart and see if that makes any difference with whether i can update mb or not.

any feedback w/b appreciated!! this is a fairly new comp - don't have it completely set up as i'd like...thought i'd loaded hijackthis and it seems i didn't, so i have to go download that and run that, too...

Hi joclyn -

Remove the Spybot Fully for now and then retry - If you do decide to reinstall Spybot (not needed) always make sure the TeaTimer is not activated -

HiJack This is only needed as a diagnostic tool and is not required for now - It seems that you do have I.E. operating so that is good -

Just check This diagram to make sure your I.E. system matches -

EDIT - In Win 7 make sure you are using Administrator account if the update is Greyed out -

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Thank You - :)

well, duh!! :) i forgot about win7 and having to use the admin account for this program to be able to update it!! *shakes head* too much junk going on at the moment.

so, i logged into the admin acct and no problem - got the update done and ran the scan. nothing found.

i still kind of think something is on the computer though. i'm seeing some lag with typing on more than a few sites (which could just be site issues, i know. except i don't see the same issues on the comp at work) and then there's the issue of a few sites i have set to 'remember me' for log-in aren't doing that after being fine for months. i don't think this started happening after a windows update - or maybe it did. i am far too busy atm...i do still have win updates to install - i think i did do a few of them though and then the not auto-logging in started...so, maybe one of the updates wiped out the settings or cookies?? or maybe it's the sites themselves that wiped out the log in info? i think most of them that were not working were proboards - hmm, maybe they had an update and that cleared the info out?

another reason i think there's something on there is that the teatimer thing in spybot WAS turned on! when i looked at it yesterday (after reading another post here) i checked it and it was NOT listed in processes in the task manager and it was NOT checked off in spybot. i did not turn it off! only thing i've turned off there was the setting that blocks changes to ie settings - and i always turn it on again as soon as i fix/adjust whatever is needed.

i did go to control panel and use 'remove software' to take mb off before i downloaded it again. i did that from the general user; not admin acct, though, so i should probably redo it from the admin acct. yes? or does it not matter?

you say spybot is not needed with mb. i have to ask why?? i've seen spyb find things that malb hasn't and vice versa...granted, only silly cookie files that were of no real import. still, makes me nervous that malb didn't id 'em as an issue.

what else can i use to block changes to ie: lock hosts file read-only from hijackers; lock ie start page from user changes; lock ie control panel against opening from within ie by user and ie bad download blocker; protect overall system settings. also, what else can i use to look at bho's & activeX's?

thanks!!

Hi joclyn -

I have removed Spybot for about 6 months now and only use MBAM , SUPERAntispyare , and Microsoft security Essentials now - The Quick scans from Malwarebytes tends to find any malware - SAS is a similar program but their Quick Scans tend to find any Tracking Cookies - MSE is the resident Anti virus -

I have noted that what you mention about Logon ID's not being remembered from another forum , and they stated it was after a Microsoft update also -

If you now have MBAM operating properly I would not alter it unless you have a problem , in which case refer back to this topic -

I will check on the reset of ID remembering as mine is XP and I am not having any problems -

Thank You - :)

EDIT - If you do want us to check your computer for any infections please follow the instructions below -

As we don't work on Malware removal or diagnostics in the general forums here is a list to follow -

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org