crash while running GMER

So, I had previously had on my machine, the Evil EVIL Antivirus Soft.

I downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti Malware successfully through firefox, and installed the program.

Unfortunately, when I tried to update the program, I received the error 732 (12029,0) message that is prevelant throughout the forums.

Through my father's suggestion, I downloaded the program located here and used this program to scan my computer. The program found one virus. I believe this virus was the Antivirus Soft. I believe this because when I managed to open the task manager before antivirus soft could stop me, the process I closed, which was like w9987w34(started with a w, had another w and 5 or so other numbers and digits), was the virus found by stinger.

I had stinger remove the virus.

I could still not update my Malwarebytes' Anti Malware.

So, I followed the advice in this thread which is on this forum.

I downloaded and ran the Defogger with no issues, I ran the DDS with no issues, BUT my GMER Rootkit scanner was unable to complete it's scan.

Attached for reference are

The DDS.txt file unique to my machine

the attach.txt file(as a zipped file)

and a screenshot of the error, and what Microsoft thought was the problem.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but my machine is very old, 2001. I have two physically seperate hard drives, C: and D:. The OS I use presently is XP and runs off of my D drive, the original OS was ME, and ran off the C: Drive

please, Please, PLEASE help me fix this issue.

Please also follow up with any questions

Kindest Regards,

Gareth Keenan

DDS.txt

Attach.zip

GMER_crashing_and_sudden_closing.doc

• Staff

Hi,

I wouldn't really worry about the gmer scan. I've seen it often crashing lately on clean machines as well.

For the malwarebytes update issue, it looks like there's a malicious proxy set in your case, so open Internet Explorer: Tools Menu -> Internet Options -> Connections Tab ->Lan Settings > uncheck "use a proxy server" and check to "Automatically detect settings".

Let me know if you're able to update afterwards.

Extra note, since the date of this post, there's a new version of Malwarebytes released in a meanwhile. Version 1.45. This one should normally also getting downloaded and installed when you use the update feature. In case if it doesn't, just redownload Malwarebytes from the main site again and install it. http://malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Miraculously, I was infact able to download the new malwarebytes after all. I should note, that I had all ready disabled using the proxy service in IE, but firefox is my main browser 19/20 anyways.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Gareth Keenan

Hi,

I wouldn't really worry about the gmer scan. I've seen it often crashing lately on clean machines as well.

For the malwarebytes update issue, it looks like there's a malicious proxy set in your case, so open Internet Explorer: Tools Menu -> Internet Options -> Connections Tab ->Lan Settings > uncheck "use a proxy server" and check to "Automatically detect settings".

Let me know if you're able to update afterwards.

Extra note, since the date of this post, there's a new version of Malwarebytes released in a meanwhile. Version 1.45. This one should normally also getting downloaded and installed when you use the update feature. In case if it doesn't, just redownload Malwarebytes from the main site again and install it. http://malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

• Staff

Hi,

I should note, that I had all ready disabled using the proxy service in IE
Strange, because it still showed the malicious proxy in your DDS log, unless this log was taken before you changed/disabled the proxy settings.

Even though you use firefox, a lot of programs (updates) depend on the Internet Explorer connection settings, so that's why that change needed to get done in Internet Explorer anyway. :)

How are things now?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!