Scanning and upgrading the program questions

Hello all,

I'm new to the Malwarebytes program and the forum. I have a question about scanning and a question about upgrading the program to a newer version when the next one comes out. I searched before posting, but couldn't find the answer to either.

When doing a scan, do I need to do the scan for each user, or will one scan as an administrator check all user accounts?

When a newer version comes out and I want to install it, do I need to uninstall the older version before installing the new version?

Thanks.

When doing a scan, do I need to do the scan for each user, or will one scan as an administrator check all user accounts?

I believe that the one scan of the system should be enough - It scans your computer not a user -

When a newer version comes out and I want to install it, do I need to uninstall the older version before installing the new version?

We do have a quick option to remove all previous installations if required - I am not 100% sure with the newest version out soon , but I will be doing a full clean and reinstall for it - A major version change only occurs rarely - The daily updates are just one click on the update tab -

I would update I.E. 6.0 to IE8 as it is more secure and has lots of good features.

Stay Safer Online:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/features/safer.aspx

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware will scan the files and folders of all user accounts on the system, however, it will not load the registry hives of the other users so it is possible for dormant (ie, inactive) traces in the registry to be left behind on the other user accounts after malicious software has been removed.

To resolve this, you should occasionally perform a Quick Scan from those user accounts as it will check the registry for any traces that might remain so that you can remove them.

As for installing a newer version, generally you can install it right on top of the previous version and it will prompt you to reboot the computer if required.

If you need anything further please post.

noknojon,

Thanks for the reply and information. Could you post a link to the "option to remove all previous installations?

Thanks.

exile360,

Thanks for the additional information, and help.

YoKenny1,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't upgraded I.E. 6.0 on the desktop machine because I only use it to do Microsoft updates. I use Firefox 3.6 as my regular browser.

Thanks everybody.

IE is used in Windows Explorer for its Graphical User Interface (GUI):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Explorer

As an example put C: in IE address area and you will see that Windows Explorer opens to the contents of the C: drive.

@ godawgs - This removes All previous installs of MBAM - It will give you a Fresh New copy - Make sure you update after the reinstall -

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only -

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Thank You - :)