Can't download updates

I've got an infected computer that won't let me connect to malwarebytes.org (or any of a number of other antivirus sites). It connects to other websites although half the time it redirects the traffic to an unintended site. Another computer in the house can access those sites without issues.

So I downloaded malwarebytes to a thumb drive and installed it, but it couldn't connect to get updates. It found two issues on the computer, but I didn't think either was the root cause and sure enough after rebooting I still had the issue.

Am I right in assuming that the software needs to download updates frequently and that with just the base install I am weeks out of date? If so is there a way to get the updates in a file and get the program to use that file? I did a search in the forum about this, but I only found an old reference to it from over a year ago and the links provided no longer worked.

Thank you in advance!

Hello and welcome to Malwarebytes....

Follow the instructions in Section A item 4 LOCATED HERE to update the Malwarebytes program. Once you update it run another quick scan and remove any infections found. Restart computer and double check by running one more quick scan, and also see if you can now update it.

Come back if you need more help.

Hello and welcome to Malwarebytes....

Follow the instructions in Section A item 4 LOCATED HERE to update the Malwarebytes program. Once you update it run another quick scan and remove any infections found. Restart computer and double check by running one more quick scan, and also see if you can now update it.

Come back if you need more help.

Hi Firefox,

He's right on one point; the program download definitions ARE way out of date when it's first installed. Couldn't Malwarebytes run a chron job (or similar automated file on whatever system the server runs on) that refreshes the program download file with one with the most up-to-date definitions on a nightly basis.. or it's not too much of a load, update the download file every time the definition file updates? Not trying to start trouble, just seems like a really good idea. Maybe you could pass the idea along to the right people?? :unsure::lol:

Thanks for listening.. err.. ahh.. reading!

Shy

@ ShyWriter

Comment and suggestions could be made RIGHT HERE

@ SowelBlack, you are right, the program needs to be updated on a regular basis. The developers have updates to the program about 5 times a day. The pro version will let you schedule automatic updates as well as automatic scans. Where the free version you would have to do them manually.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.