Any WOT users having problems with it today?

Amethyst

None of the computers in this house can get any pages to load WOT ratings. We also cannot access the api.mywot.com page unelss via a proxy server. No ratings load for google searches either. No api.mywot.com, no WOT ratings. That's with FF and IE.

Trying to troubleshoot, any other WOT users here finding it isn't working today?

Would appreciate feedback so I know who to contact, thanks! :unsure:

(Also...any alternatives for FF users? IE has some protection built in, but I feel kind of vulnerable with FF right now.)

Thanks, everyone.

I would love to get WOT working in Opera, too, but it doesn't look all that simple. I think GT500 here had something posted, though, and I meant to ask further about that, but never got around to doing that.

It's working again now, but in my searching around, I was surprised to find these:

h t t p://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=6411

h t t p://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3588

I don't use opendns, but I had run a tracert and I could see where the problem was. Just didn't know what to do about it other than notify my ISP, give them the tracert results, and ask them to fix it if they could.

WOT is working again now, I'm happy to say, but there was definitely some blocking going on.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. It's good to have you folks to consult when something like this happens. Helps with the troubleshooting. :unsure:

@mountaintree16, I'm using Firefox 3.6, but when WOT wasn't working, it wasn't working in any browser on any computer in the house.

Amethyst,

Ah, okay.

Reason I was asking is because I thought you might be concerned about the security hole that's been discovered in Firefox (I made a post about it in the security alerts forum if you don't happen to know what I am talking about) and I was just going to say if you were using 3.5.8, that version is not affected.

When Firefox updated from 3.0.x, I waited a few months to update, and good thing I did, because a major security thing was discovered in 3.5.x, and now the same thing with 3.6.x, so I am glad I waited. You might consider waiting a little bit in the future as well when I a new version comes out, just an idea :unsure:

@Mountaintree16,

No, I didn't have the security hole in mind specifically, just general security overall. WOT has really helped on more than one occasion, so I like to have it available.

I guess now that Firefox is so popular, it has also become a target for the bad guys. :unsure: Too bad. I really like Opera, but it's lacking just a couple of things that I would need to make it my default browser on my laptop. On the desktop, though, that's 'my' browser with my speed dials loaded. (I switch to FF to do searches, though, because I have WOT on FF.) My husband prefers Firefox.

The whole WOT issue should be resolved. Apparently it was unknown why it happened, but it seems better now.

I would say to empty cache, close Firefox, and reboot your computer - then see if the problem still sticks. It was probably a communication error, which needed to re-sync itself.

===========

About the security hole, I think some security company should develop an anti-exploit program, so security holes can be guarded.