sooooo slow

• Root Admin

What are the specs on the computer?

1. What operating system and is it x86 or x64 (ie. 32Bit or 64Bit)

2. What CPU speed?

3. How much RAM ?

4. How much free space is there on the drive ?

5. How long has it been running slow

6. Does it have signs of infection like redirected searches when searching for things in a Web browser or pop ups unexpectedly?

What are the specs on the computer?

1. What operating system and is it x86 or x64 (ie. 32Bit or 64Bit)

2. What CPU speed?

3. How much RAM ?

4. How much free space is there on the drive ?

5. How long has it been running slow

6. Does it have signs of infection like redirected searches when searching for things in a Web browser or pop ups unexpectedly?

windows xp service pack 3

celeron® 2.40 GHz, 2.39GHz, 256MB RAM

don't know bits or free space on drive, not on system properties

it's been running slow forever, did some fixes and it seemed faster for awhile but really slow again

no signs of infection

just ran autoruns if you want it

• Root Admin

When replying please click on the ADDreply button, not on the REPLY button. There is no need to quote every post back, thanks.

Well there are the 2 main reasons why its slow and probably was from day 1 that you got the computer.

CELERON = The cheapest CPU that Intel makes.

256MB of RAM = not enough to run Windows XP well. In my own unofficial testing it take about 400+MB or RAM just for the OS to not have to switch out memory and access the hard drive to run. So in my opinion a bare minimum of 512MB of RAM should be used, and if possible at least 1GB of RAM

Now some cleanup might help it some so I'll post an article to assist you with that - but getting more physical memory for the system would be the best cure for making it faster.

Computer and browser slowness are not always malware related

Poor performance and other problems can be the result of disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.

Listed below are a few things you can do to improve speed and system performance. Many of the these suggestions will apply if you're using Windows Vista but may be done a bit differently. Near the bottom of this thread there is a section specifically devoted to Vista Users.

For browser problems, see:

If your having connectivity issues or errors such as Page cannot be displayed see

If you're using Vista or Internet Explorer 7, see

If you have a lot of toolbars and add-ons attached to Internet Explorer, you could try improving performance by disabling those which are unecessary. See:

• Staff

While I totally agree with AdvancedSetup with regards to the Ram (ie 256Mb really isn't enough). I can help you to remove some unnecessary startup items and hopefully improve your system's performance.

Please do the following:

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here and save it to your desktop.
    • Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you also need to do the following:
      1. Right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Properties
      2. Click on the Compatibility tab
      3. Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
      4. Click on Apply then click OK

[*]Double-click Autoruns.exe to run it.

[*]Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.

[*]Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures

[*]Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.

[*]When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.

[*]Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder

[*]Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

I highly suggest using chkdsk. My computer is a little over one years old and I began noticing significant slow down. I ran chkdsk and I noticed a dramatic improvement. It is quite useful. However, be careful on how you use it, ensure as much as possible that your computer has a steady power supply during chkdsk as any interruptions to the process can and may cause some serious problems.

• Staff

Hello again :unsure:

Save or print these instructions as you will not have internet access during parts of these instructions.

I see you have TeaTimer active. It will need to be disabled until we are finished tweaking your PC:

• Please run Spybot Search & Destroy and click the Mode button at the top and select Advanced. Answer Yes to the window that pops up.
  • Expand the section on the left called Tools then click the Resident button (it should look like an orange shield)
  • In the main program you should see some options under Resident protection status
  • Please uncheck the box next to Resident TeaTimer and answer Yes to any prompts and exit Spybot Search & Destroy.
  • Right-click on the TeaTimer tray icon next to your clock (it should look like a small white box with a small silver pad-lock) and select Exit Spybot-S&D Resident

Honestly, I highly recommend leaving TeaTimer disabled permanently as it is a major resource hog, but I'll leave that decision up to you. I recommend just using the Immunize function built into Spybot Search & Destroy and updating it and re-immunizing regularly.

The version of AVG you're using is sorely out of date, and in my opinion AVG is a bit of a resource hog anyway, so given that you would need to remove it to upgrade to the latest version anyway, I'm going to recommend removing it and switching to a different free av that will be less resource hungry:

Download the AVG Removal Tool from here and save it to your desktop but do not run it yet.

Download one of the following antivirus program installers from one of the following sites and save it to your desktop but do not install it yet:

Disconnect your computer from the internet by disconnecting the cable that goes from your router or modem to your computer.

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall the following if found:

• AVG Antivirus

[*]Reboot your computer.

[*]Run the AVG Remover you downloaded and allow it to reboot your computer when it completes.

[*]Install your new antivirus and reboot if it prompts you to do so.

[*]Once your computer is booted and your new AV is installed, reconnect the cable that goes from your modem or router to the computer again so you can get online once more.

[*]Open your newly installed anti-virus and update it so that you have the latest virus definitions.

Update/Install Adobe:

• Uninstall any versions of Adobe Reader if found
  • Click here to download the latest version of Adobe Reader and save this file to your desktop.
  • Double click on AdbeRdr930_en_US.exe to install the latest version of Adobe Reader.
  • Now open Adobe Reader by clicking Start>All Programs>Adobe Reader 9
  • Read and accept the License Terms and when Adobe Reader loads click Help at the top and select Check for Updates...
  • Install any updates that it finds, allowing it to close Adobe Reader if it requests to do so
  • Delete the installation file from your desktop as it is no longer needed.

Disable Autostart Entries Using Autoruns:

Please open Autoruns.exe again and allow it to perform its scan. Once it finishes please proceed with the following:

• Click on the Logon tab and click the checkbox on the left side of each of the following so that they are unchecked:

• Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
    • BCMSMMSG Note: Only disable this entry if you use high-speed internet and not dialup.

• Dell QuickSet
    • Digital Line Detect.lnk Note: Only disable this entry if you use high-speed internet and not dialup.

• Microsoft Office.lnk
    • Google Update
    • MSMSGS
    • swg GoogleToolbarNotifier

[*]Click on the Internet Explorer tab and click the checkbox on the left side of each of the following so that they are unchecked:

• Absolute Poker
    • PokerStars.net

[*]Click on the Scheduled Tasks tab and right click each of the following entries and select Delete:

• GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-1202660629-1383384898-854245398-1003Core.job
    • GoogleUpdateTaskUserS-1-5-21-1202660629-1383384898-854245398-1003UA.job

[*]Once that is complete, restart your computer.

Then do the following:

Create a List of Running Services:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @echo off
    net start>"%userprofile%\desktop\services.txt"
    "%userprofile%\desktop\services.txt"
    del /f /q "%userprofile%\desktop\services.txt"
    del /f /q %0

Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...

• In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file Services.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.
  • Once it finishes it will open the file it created in notepad, please copy and paste the file's contents into your next reply.

here is the services.bat file ..please be aware i use google chrome not explorer ..thanks for your help :)

These Windows services are started:

Application Layer Gateway Service

Automatic Updates

avast! Antivirus

avast! Mail Scanner

avast! Web Scanner

COM+ Event System

Computer Browser

Cryptographic Services

DCOM Server Process Launcher

DHCP Client

Distributed Link Tracking Client

DNS Client

Event Log

Fast User Switching Compatibility

Help and Support

IPSEC Services

Net Driver HPZ12

Network Connections

Network Location Awareness (NLA)

Plug and Play

Pml Driver HPZ12

Print Spooler

Protected Storage

Remote Access Connection Manager

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Secondary Logon

Security Accounts Manager

Security Center

Server

Shell Hardware Detection

SSDP Discovery Service

System Event Notification

System Restore Service

Task Scheduler

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Telephony

Terminal Services

Themes

WebClient

Windows Audio

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Windows Management Instrumentation

Windows Time

Windows User Mode Driver Framework

Wireless Zero Configuration

Workstation

WUSB54GSC

The command completed successfully.

It's running fine now..don't know if it can run any faster without upgrades but what a difference from before. Thank you very much for your help. :)

By the way, you guys who are experts on these things, have to understand something ... we regular folk don't necessarily need speed in the blink of an eye... this computer is running so much faster than before .. probably close to how it ran when first purchased. That was all I was looking for and figured it was possible. With that said thou, I know your posts were with all the best intentions, thanks.

• Staff
probably close to how it ran when first purchased.

That's always my goal with these topics, to meet or exceed the performance the system had when it was new :).

That being said, I do have a couple of other things that are absolutely free (no upgrading) and might help a bit more with performance:

Reset System Restore in Windows XP:

• Click on Start and right click on My Computer and select Properties
  • Click on the System Restore tab
  • Click the box next to Turn off System Restore (Note: if it is already checked then leave it that way and proceed to the Create a fresh Restore Point part of the instructions)
  • Reboot your computer

Create a fresh Restore Point:

• Once you've rebooted from the previous step click on Start and right click My Computer and select Properties
  • Click on the System Restore tab
  • Click the box next to Turn off System Restore to enable it again
  • Reboot your computer
  • Once your PC is booted again click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Click on Performance and Maintenance (Note: if you do not see Performance and Maintenance listed click on the Switch to Category View link on the left pane of the window)
  • Click on System Restore on the left pane of the window
  • Once the System Restore interface opens select Create a restore point and click on the Next button
  • In the Restore point description: box type Tune-Up Restore Point and click on the Create button
  • Once it says Restore Point Created click on the Close button

Download CCleaner from here to clean temp files from your computer.

• Close all open internet browser windows
  • Double click on the ccsetup file to start the installation of the program.
  • Select your language and click OK, then click Next.
  • Read the license agreement and click I Agree.
  • Click Next to use the default install location. Click Install then click Finish to complete installation.
  • Double click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.
  • On the Windows tab, under Internet Explorer, uncheck Cookies if you do not want them deleted. (If deleted, you will likely need to reenter your passwords at all sites where a cookie is used to recognize you when you visit)
  • If you use Firefox or any other Mozilla browsers, the box to uncheck for Cookies is on the Applications tab, under Firefox/Mozilla.
  • Click on the Options icon at the left side of the window, then click on Advanced.
    uncheck Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours.
  • Click on the Cleaner icon on the left side of the window, then click Run Cleaner to run the program.
  • Caution: It is not recommended that you use the Registry feature unless you are very familiar with the registry as it has been known to find legitimate items for removal, which can cause issues with other programs.
  • After CCleaner has completed its process, click Exit.

Clear Temp Files Using ATF Cleaner:

• Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune from here and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close all open internet browser windows
  • Run ATF Cleaner by double clicking it.
  • Once the program opens, click the box next to Select All
    • Note: this will delete all cookies saved by sites that you have visited so if you need to keep any cookies for automatic logins etc then uncheck the Cookies option

[*]Once that's all set click on the Empty Selected button and it will remove the temporary files from your system.

[*]If you use Firefox or Opera browsers then click the appropriate button at the top of the program and delete the temp files from them as well following the same procedure.

Use NTREGOPT to Optimize your Registry:

• Please download NTREGOPT from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click on ntregopt-setup.exe to begin installation and follow the onscreen instructions to install it.
  • Once it is installed UNCHECK the box next to Show documentation but leave the Launch NTREGOPT box checked and click Finish.
  • Once the Welcome! box appears click OK. You will now see it starting to optimize your registry. Please be patient as it can take a while.
  • Once it completes you will be prompted to restart your computer. Save anything you were working on and click Yes.

Once all of that is done, if you haven't done so already, defragment your hard drive. If you require instructions on how to defragment your hard drive just ask and I'll provide them.

Please post back with your results.

it is running much, much faster for the most part. it does seem to get hung up sometimes, tho, for example, when i was trying to view my post, i had to reload 3 times to get it to come up... i seem to have to do this occasionally with other sites also, no rhyme or reason tho.

overall, working much better tho..thank you :)

Hi soslowputer -

Do you have the forum listed in "Favorites / Bookmarks" (depends on your O/S) - The dropdown item was a bit slow for me todat , but seems better now -

If not , Right click on the Malwarebytes sign at the top of the page , go down to "add to favorites" and it will be added to the dropdown list -

Thanks - :)

• Staff

It's possible that an update of your network card drivers may help. Please do the following so I can locate the latest version for your system:

Provide System Specifications:

• Please download Speccy from here and save the installer to your desktop or another location where you can easily find it.
  • Double-click the file to begin installation and follow the onscreen steps to complete the installation and make sure that the checkbox next to Run Speccy is checked before you click on Finish at the end.
  • Once the program starts it will analyze your system, please be patient as it may take a few moments to complete.
  • Once it finishes and none of the areas say Analyzing click on the File button at the top and select Save Snapshot...
  • Save the file to your desktop and click Ok to confirm
  • Go to your desktop and right click on the file you just created and hover over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the zip file you just created to your next post

• Staff

Alright, it appears you're using the Linksys WUSB54GS as shown here. Please look on the bottom and on the back to find the Hardware Version, it will be either 1.0 or 2.0. Select the downloads via the drop down menu on that web page for your hardware version and then download the driver for Windows XP and save it to your desktop but do not run it yet.

Uninstall Programs:

• Uninstall all Linksys software listed
  • Restart your computer
  • Run the installer for the drivers you downloaded from the Linksys website and follow the onscreen instructions to install the driver
  • Reboot your PC if prompted to do so by the installer
  • Test your connection to see if it works any better now

If that does not resolve it then it's possible that there is simply wireless interference between your PC and your router causing issues. Many devices such as microwave ovens and wireless house phones can cause interference with wireless networks.

• Staff

It certainly sounds like a poor connection. If you have to refresh the page to see it all, that means it's likely timing out and not receiving all the data that the page contains until you've collected most of the page's data in your browser cache.

What is the manufacturer and model # of your wireless router? A firmware upgrade or altering the router's settings may correct this issue.