Malwarebytes hangs up

vbritt

Can someone please help me out with a problem that I am having. Malwarebytes hangs up when doing a scan regardless of whether or not it is a quick scan or a full scan. When I run malwarebytes in the safe mode it works fine. I have gone through MSCONFIG and disabled virtually every item that is starting up when the machine boots up. The only items left are the EPSON Ink monitor and AVAST antivirus. I am running Windows XP SP3 on this machine. I have scanned my machine with Spybots search and destroy and windows defender and both run through to completion without detecting any malware.

Is there something else that I can do to identify what is wrong? Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior with Malwarebytes?

Greetings and welcome to Malwarebytes :huh:

It's most likely the Epson monitor as it has caused the same issue for many users. Temporarily disable it, reboot, then try another Quick Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to see if it freezes or not. If that fixes it, go ahead and re-enable everything except the Epson monitor that you disabled previously and reboot and try another Quick Scan to make sure it's still working correctly.

Once that's complete, try printing a page with your printer to make sure it's working as well.

Please let me know how it goes.

Greetings and welcome to Malwarebytes :huh:

It's most likely the Epson monitor as it has caused the same issue for many users. Temporarily disable it, reboot, then try another Quick Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to see if it freezes or not. If that fixes it, go ahead and re-enable everything except the Epson monitor that you disabled previously and reboot and try another Quick Scan to make sure it's still working correctly.

Once that's complete, try printing a page with your printer to make sure it's working as well.

Please let me know how it goes.

The Epson monitor was causing Malwarebytes to hang up. I appreciate your reply because I would never have guessed that would be causing the problem. Unfortunately, I like the monitor running so that it shows me my ink status when it prints. If there is no other solution, I guess I will just have to disable it when I want to run Malwarebytes. Thanks again for the solution.

No problem :huh:

I've had success in the past by using a tool called Autoruns to delete all of Epson's startup entries, uninstalling the Epson software, restarting the PC and then reinstalling the latest version of the Epson software. This allows the print monitor to run and allows Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to complete its scans in most cases.

If you'd like my assistance in doing this let me know and I will give you detailed, step-by-step instructions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Root Admin
You can fix the malwarebytes hangs out with the help of combofix.

Please do not provide suggestions like that for users. The combofix tool is an excellent tool but is one that is always being updated and every once in a while mistakes can occur in the code that can be very damaging to a system. As a casual user though you would not be aware of such an issue unlike most trained experts that read up on this stuff and use these tools every day.

You should always seek the advice of an expert with using any tools like CF.

Thank you.