IP protection. Do I need it?

Hi folks, I have been using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free since 2008 and have just bought the full version. I was wondering whether it is worth having the IP protection enabled since I use MVPS and HpHosts entries in my Host file. Does it offer an extra layer of protection beyond that of a modified host file?

Hi alhazred and welcome to malwarebytes'!

I would keep it on as if the hosts don't block a site, malwarebytes' may do so. Malwarebytes' actually hooks itself into your network connection and blocks access upon connecting. While host files are a bit slower and don't block until it's almost loaded.

Hello alhazred, welcome to the forums here at Malwarebytes.org and thank you for your purchase :P

Yes, I would say that it definitely worth it to have the IP protection on! Having a HOSTS file is also a great protection tool, but it is not the same as IP blocking. The IP blocker feature definitely provides an additional layer of protection by blocking malicous IP's as well as malicious IP ranges (whereas the HOSTS file blocks individual websites), therefore blocking websites likely to infect you so that the website cannot load and therefore you do not get infected! :)

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions!

As a side note, please use the "ADD REPLY" button when replying, as this makes the forum easier to read. Thank you :P

Edit: Buttons, your HOSTS file allows websites to almost load? Mine has a complete block right off the bat when I try to go to a website saying,

Blocked: www.somebadwebsite.com

instead of showing me any of the website.

@ Buttons

Well, I am pretty sure its instantaneous, at least thats how it seems when it blocks sites and ads for me :P Anyway, lets not take up alhazred's thread discussing this; if you want to discuss this further we can start a new thread in General Chat or something.

alhazred,

No problem! That's what we're here for! Any other questions about IP blocking or the program or anything, just post :P There's almost always someone around who can help here.