XP Security Center? Or something else?

I have had a very strange virus for the last day or so.

It stopped malwarebytes from running, but using rkill I was able to stop this, and run MBAM.

It picked up nothing besides a trojan and two adawares, and the virus is still at large.

The main process seems to be 'ave.exe' which I have been told is associated with XP Total Security and Vista Total Security.

The virus I'm seeing appears to be 'XP Security Center'.

I cannot, repeat, cannot delete 'axe.exe'.

I seems to be located in my Documents and Settings, under Local Settings\Application Data\ave.exe

When I navigate to this file, the popups start up, but however, when I go to Application Data, even with hidden files showing, it is not there.

Also using command prompt to delete the file will not work.

I've been speaking to technical administrator about it, and he has suggested many, many different things to get this virus to go away - none have worked.

Any files associated with either virus (XP Total Security or XP Security Center) have not been found, nor have any processes or HKEYs. I cannot remove this file.

ave.exe seems to be causing the problem, as I've said.

Hello Tamsin ,Welcome to Malwarebytes.org :P !

We don't work on Malware removal or diagnostics in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org