additional info

I currently have the free verison (although had planned to buy the full one until this started freezing)... anyhow, ran the full scan a couple of times last week (just installed last week) with no problem. Now it freezes every time, on full and quick scan, and at different locations. I have uninstalled and reinstalled... have rebooted in safe mode, run the scan with no problem (and reportedly no infections), but when I reboot in regular mode it still freezes. My tech knowledge is limited (read: nonexistant), and in trying to find answers on the internet have not found anything that matched exactly. Can you help me? Thanks!

• Staff

Greetings LisaC :P

Please do the following and let me know if it still freezes:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Settings tab
  • Uncheck Always scan registry objects.
  • Start a Quick Scan to see if it still freezes

Please let me know if it still freezes or not and we'll continue with the next steps to hopefully resolve this issue for you (while allowing you to actually have that option checked instead of having to leave it unchecked).

If you refresh this web page in your browser by pressing the F5 key on your keyboard you should see 1 New Messages listed at the upper right corner of the top of the forum page. Simply click on it and you'll see my message.

I'm sending a reply throught this post instead of the message thread since I don't see it recording any 'sent messages', so don't kow if you are getting my question... anyhow, just wondering before I delete and disarm anti-virus, etc., why the progam is freezing up? I downloaded it for the first time last week and ran it several times without a hitch, with my Nod 32 AV program active.... thanks again...

• Staff

Hello again LisaC :P

Please do the following:

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here and save it to your desktop.
    • Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you also need to do the following:
      1. Right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Properties
      2. Click on the Compatibility tab
      3. Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
      4. Click on Apply then click OK

[*]Double-click Autoruns.exe to run it.

[*]Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.

[*]Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures

[*]Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.

[*]When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.

[*]Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder

[*]Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

AutoRuns1.zipAutoRuns1.zip

Hello again LisaC :P

Please do the following:

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here and save it to your desktop.
    • Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you also need to do the following:
      1. Right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Properties
      2. Click on the Compatibility tab
      3. Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
      4. Click on Apply then click OK

[*]Double-click Autoruns.exe to run it.

[*]Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.

[*]Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures

[*]Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.

[*]When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.

[*]Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder

[*]Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

OK, here it goes aagain. Hopefully I attached the file right. and yes, the issue does appear to be a conflict with my printer - three times in the past two days the printer has been disconnected from the computer and I've had to reset it as the default printer. Hope that helps.... Lisa

I keep clicking 'manage current attachments' and I think it's appearing at the top of this post..... let me know if I'm doing this wrong!

• Staff

It worked just fine, thanks :P

Your Autoruns log looks a little light though. Are you certain you let the scan finish before you saved the file? You can tell because it will say Ready at the bottom instead of (Escape to cancel) Scanning. If it didn't finish, please create a new one and attach it to your next reply.

It worked just fine, thanks :)

Your Autoruns log looks a little light though. Are you certain you let the scan finish before you saved the file? You can tell because it will say Ready at the bottom instead of (Escape to cancel) Scanning. If it didn't finish, please create a new one and attach it to your next reply.

Oh. Just saw your reply. I was looking for a new message, but makes sense you replied here since that's where my last message was (duh!)...... anyhow, I guess I'll try to run it again and attach the file..... thanks - Lisa

Oh. Just saw your reply. I was looking for a new message, but makes sense you replied here since that's where my last message was (duh!)...... anyhow, I guess I'll try to run it again and attach the file..... thanks - Lisa

another note - I have Windows XP, so did not find the Properties tab/Compatibility/Privledge Level options, so did not make those changes. Was there something esle I should have done to make it run right?

another note - I have Windows XP, so did not find the Properties tab/Compatibility/Privledge Level options, so did not make those changes. Was there something esle I should have done to make it run right?

OK, I think I have it. I reran it and attached the file. One note: when I restart the computer, before everything comes up a page flashes briefly and closes instantly (too fast for me to see what it is...) That is new.. and I don't know what that is or what is causing it....

AutoRuns2.zip

OK, I think I have it. I reran it and attached the file. One note: when I restart the computer, before everything comes up a page flashes briefly and closes instantly (too fast for me to see what it is...) That is new.. and I don't know what that is or what is causing it....

I see that the file is the same size as the first one run. It did say 'ready' at the bottom, though..... anything else I should try?

• Staff

Hello again :huh:

I believe I see the problem. Open Autoruns again and click on Options and make sure that the following are NOT checked:

• Hide Microsoft and Windows Entries
  • Hide Windows Entries

Then press F5 on your keyboard once more and allow the scan to finish. Once that's done, save and zip the resulting Autoruns.arn file and attach it to your next post.

I believe I see the problem. Open Autoruns again and click on Options and make sure that the following are NOT checked:

• Hide Microsoft and Windows Entries
  • Hide Windows Entries

Then press F5 on your keyboard once more and allow the scan to finish. Once that's done, save and zip the resulting Autoruns.arn file and attach it to your next post.

OK - Just happened to check to see if you had answered...:-) I will try that and attach the results...

• Staff

That's much better. Now I can see the entries I needed to.

Please do the following:

Disable Autostart Entries Using Autoruns:

Please open Autoruns.exe again and allow it to perform its scan. Once it finishes please proceed with the following:

• Click on the Logon tab and click the checkbox on the left side of each of the following so that they are unchecked:

• EPSON Stylus CX4200 Series (Copy 1)

[*]Once that is complete, restart your computer.

Now try another scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to see if it still freezes and then try printing a page to make sure that your printer is still working.

Please let me know how it goes.

That's much better. Now I can see the entries I needed to.

Please do the following:

Disable Autostart Entries Using Autoruns:

Please open Autoruns.exe again and allow it to perform its scan. Once it finishes please proceed with the following:

• Click on the Logon tab and click the checkbox on the left side of each of the following so that they are unchecked:

• EPSON Stylus CX4200 Series (Copy 1)

[*]Once that is complete, restart your computer.

Now try another scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to see if it still freezes and then try printing a page to make sure that your printer is still working.

Please let me know how it goes.

OK - giving that a shot!

DUDE! :):):huh: Still scanning after 3 1/2 minutes (longest time yet) with 'checking registeries' still checked, and it printed a page - so everything is looking good at the moment. Dare I type that, or will it all blow up on me.... ? I am running a full scan, so will give you the final verdict when it is all done. Thanks so much for your help!!!!!! Lisa

That's marvelous, I'm glad everything is working now :). Let's hope it finishes ok :).

First of all, thanks so much for all your help. The scan ran just fine, detected no infections, and everythign seems to be working fine. Hallelujah!!! :huh:

One more thing - I purchased and tried to download the full version of MB, and it gave me an error message - 'delete file failed; code 5, access is denied." Do I need to completely uninstall the free version of MB before downloading the new version? What do I do from here? Would really like to just get this thing updated, running, and be done with it! :) Although, in reading posts from other people who have SERIOUS problems, I realize mine are just piddly but I still would like to get them resolved.... thanks again - Lisa

PS - where do you post from? Are you in the UK? Just curious since your time stamps are so far ahead of mine...

First of all, thanks so much for all your help. The scan ran just fine, detected no infections, and everythign seems to be working fine. Hallelujah!!! :)

One more thing - I purchased and tried to download the full version of MB, and it gave me an error message - 'delete file failed; code 5, access is denied." Do I need to completely uninstall the free version of MB before downloading the new version? What do I do from here? Would really like to just get this thing updated, running, and be done with it! :huh: Although, in reading posts from other people who have SERIOUS problems, I realize mine are just piddly but I still would like to get them resolved.... thanks again - Lisa

PS - where do you post from? Are you in the UK? Just curious since your time stamps are so far ahead of mine...

Well, I ran the download again from my confirmation email, and it ran just fine. I believe I am registered, updated and protected now. Thanks again for your help on the driver conflict. I appreciate MB offering the free download to try out the program.... had no idea my AV was not picking this stuff up. Have a great day! But still answer my question about where you are posting from... :-) Lisa