Windows XP Kaspersky Mbam Freeze

On the updated version I realize Malwarebytes is working feverishly on, are you working on the conflict that causes a freeze when Malwarebytes and Kaspersky Antivirus 2010 are installed in same system?

This is a repeat question I was wisely shown I probably posted in the wrong place and got no answer to probably for that reason.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

Conflicts caused by Anti-Virus are not internal issues to our program. We have no control over other companies and how they manage their programs. If you are having an issue with MBAM and Kaspersky then you need to attempt to setup file exclusions within Kaspersky to allow MBAM to run without being blocked by them.

Please review the FAQ for file exclusions in Anti-Virus: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

Thank you.

I have KAV and Mbam and I do get some freezing sometimes but its because my computer can't handle it sometimes I think... nothing to do with MBAM. I also started using a different browser since Firefox is a big resource hog sometimes, at least on my system, and that really helped.

I've added the necessary exclusions and they get along prefectly :P

Do you have exclusions added?

Thanks for that, but unfortunately Kaspersky gave me the same thoughts and they did not work. All is well until you open a brpwser and that tell me and them it's the url checking that Kav and Mbam both do hitting head on so it is really an issue for both programs. I had heard a rumor that newest version of Mbam would have a switch in the program to shut down the url checking and that is what I feel will solve this, so that was the answer I was looking for.

Please use the ADD REPLY button when replying, thanks :P

I dunno. It doesn't happen on all systems. How much ram do you have? Does it happen when you don't have very many programs open?

• Staff

Does disabling MBAM's IP Protection component help at all? I ask because MBAM doesn't actually check URL's the same way Kaspersky does. Kaspersky uses a browser plugin that checks traffic based on domain names, while MBAM hooks directly into your network connection (not your browser) to monitor/block traffic. I had performance issues with IE and found the cause to be Kaspersky and Spybot/Spywareblaster immunizations but the issue only became truly prominent after a recent Microsoft update so I removed those protections.

Well it doesn't actually at least not in current version. These freezes are debilitating incidentally, there is no way out except hold in the power button.

That's interesting that Mbam uses networking as opposed to browser. Then part of the clue is in seeing the difference between networking in XP and Vista-Win 7. As I said the freeze occurs in XP simply by opening any browser.

I had the freezing problem on my XP Pro system and it was solved by adding more RAM and avast! willing to improve its anti virus application to work with MBAM protection.

I have not used Spybot immunization for ages but I do use Spywareblaster immunization.

MBAM protection uses a lot of RAM especially on boot up and heavily loads the CPU for about a minute on my XP Pro system so I delay its GUI startup with WinPatrol for 30 seconds to emulate the delay in Vista and Windows 7 by it using the Service Automatic (Delayed Start) capability.

It is currenty using 49,460 K with Peak Mem Usage 90,008 K

Although This article refers to KIS 2010 - I assume that for KAV that the process is the same , or at least very similar - MBAM researches to get the most helpful details from the Antivirus Companies to assist with solving conflicts -

This article is from KAV 2010 item #1614 regarding exclusions for KAV - I hope this helps -

Thanks - :P

The programs are actually entirely different and Mbam works fine in XP with KIS, and actually there really is no reason to use both anyway. Now I don't install the firewall or spam in KIS either. That is the way I am getting around the KAV/MBAM issue.

• Root Admin
The programs are actually entirely different and Mbam works fine in XP with KIS, and actually there really is no reason to use both anyway. Now I don't install the firewall or spam in KIS either. That is the way I am getting around the KAV/MBAM issue.

Well you keep saying there is an issue but so far you've not provided any real details of this issue and everyone has been posting that their versions of KAV are not having an issue with MBAM.

If you want assistance in fixing this then you need to provide much more detail on the issue and work with someone to correct it.

What is the EXACT name and version of Kaspersky and all plugins or add-ons and their versions.

What is your Operating System and what Service Pack, x86 or x64 ?

Please run the following and post back the logs.

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop

• Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

Please download Lop S&D

Double-click on Lop S&D.exe

Choose the language, then choose Option 1 (Search)

Wait till the end of the scan

Post the log which is created: (%SystemDrive%\lopR.txt), typcially C:\lopR.txt

I know I said KIS 2010, and you know me well enough to know I would be using KAV2010 also, as you are on my forum and have no doubt read the post there. The issue is very simple. Install Mbam to a system with Kav2010, and open a browser and the system freezes completely with no possibility except holding in the power button for 4 seconds and starting over. Nothing shows in any log and they simply will not run or allow anything to function if both are installed, as I have said over and over.

• Staff

I run KAV 2010 side-by-side with MBAM without this issue happening, as does mountaintree16. She does suffer from occasional freezes, but they are momentary and have been tracked down to either Kaspersky updating itself or doing its background Rootkit Scan. I'm running Vista x64 SP2 and she's running XP SP3.

• Staff

I'm sure that you've already added exclusions for MBAM's executables in Kaspersky, but have you also added them for the following under Exclusion rules (not Trusted applications) in Kaspersky?:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

If you haven't, it may help.

• Staff

You should be able to boot into Safe Mode then (none of MBAM's exe's or drivers load at boot in Safe Mode) and then add the exclusions that I suggested by opening KAV (I just did so in a VM running XP to make sure it would allow you to run KAV and set exclusions in Safe Mode) then reboot normally to see if it still locks up.

Well since I'm not really sure what forum you mean I'm not sure if I've read it or not. What forum are you referring to and do you have a link to this post to jog my memory maybe?

Oh please Ron, you know exactly who I am and that I am an Admin at www.kickenhardware.net

and that I am the primary software tester for that forum. You were there today as usual. Here is the thread:

http://www.kickenhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18742

• Root Admin

ROFL - Actually no I didn't realize it was you, I was thinking of someone from the Kaspersky Labs. Hi Rich.

But to be honest, no I did not read that post, as I really only read a few that peak an interest.

I'll take a read and give you my thoughts if needed.

The only reason I ever ended up on your board was from Seth, whom appears to have vanished.

You should be able to boot into Safe Mode then (none of MBAM's exe's or drivers load at boot in Safe Mode) and then add the exclusions that I suggested by opening KAV (I just did so in a VM running XP to make sure it would allow you to run KAV and set exclusions in Safe Mode) then reboot normally to see if it still locks up.

I am almost certain the one time I installed Mbam in safe mode and set all those but again once up in Windows, the result was the same as I was working with a high level tech at Kaspersky since I was reviewing their software for my forum. I didn't actually catch the issue as I worked with Windows 7 and Vista. It was one of my reviewing Mods who caught the problem as she thought to use XP and then after that I tried it with the same lack of success.

I don't think this issue is resolvable with the current version of the program, what I was trying to find out is if Mbam techs are aware of the issue and making changes so that the new version will then fix the issues. My fault I should have come here at the same time but I have seen so many issue with Kaspersky in the past, I just assumed they knew the solution as they always did in the past.