Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Paid Version

Hey, I was thinking about getting some real time protection from Mal-Warebytes. I currently have Avast! Free Antivrus and Windows Defender as well as the unpaid version of MBAM. If I get the MBAM paid version will it conflict with Avast? And should I disable Windows Defender?

I am only willing to spend 30 dollars on EITHER a paid version of MBAM or Avat Antivirus so I was wondering which one is better to get. I am not too good with computers outside of some terminology and OS knowledge, so I would appreciate some advice!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Jaqst3r15 and welcome to malwarebytes'!

Avast shouldn't conflict with malwarebytes. Although they did for a while I think that was fixed. For windows defender you should add malwarebytes drivers to defenders ignore list or it may conflict. You should see a box that titles "Do not scan this files or locations." is where you need to add them with the add button.

Personally I would purchase malwarebytes as it is a lifetime license. No longer will you have to pay and includes all future updates/versions.

Here's the files you need to add.

# C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
# C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
# C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
* C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys
* C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

I think Windows Defender is a little different for Windows 7, which I have. For the Win 7 Defender would "Do not scan this files or locations" be equivilant to "Exluded files and folders"?

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between MBAM paid verson and an anti-virus program? or are they the same?

I think Windows Defender is a little different for Windows 7, which I have. For the Win 7 Defender would "Do not scan this files or locations" be equivilant to "Exluded files and folders"?

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between MBAM paid verson and an anti-virus program? or are they the same?

Yes that should be the same. MBAM is not a anti-virus, it is designed as a complementary software, which is to protect you against what you anti-virus misses. In other words you still need an anti-virus such as avast.

I posted something on the Avast forums and people there said that the paid version of MBAM has quite a few issues with Avast and other Anti-Virus' for that matter...back to square one now.

No problem. That's actually one of the reasons why I stopped using it. Didn't seem to play well on my system, that's why I have Microsoft Security Essentials. :(

Personally I disable Windows Offender wherever I see it on Vista or Windows 7 as I can't find anyone who has ever seen it find anything and if you wait long enough it fails to update and the error messages from that will drive anyone beserk.

Of all the Antivirus free and paid, I have always felt IMHO Avast has the nicest interface and is the most useless product of any available except for CA, but then I would not recommend a free one to anyone I care about. The presence of Mbam is more important than the antivirus because most of the threats today are Spyware and Mbam is the best at repelling them of any program I have ever seen. If you are too poor to afford a good Antivirus like Kaspersky 2010 or Nod32, then I would recommend Avira if my arm was twisted.

I do not use Windows Defender on XP Pro but on Windows 7 I make sure that it is up to date through its portal:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/ADL.aspx

It is set to run a Quick scan every morning at 8:00am and it has detected a problem a while back but do not remember what it was.

I do not use MSE as avast! V5 is much better.