Malware code 5

• Root Admin

Well having more than one Anti-Virus product installed should not be done. You should only have one Anti-Virus program installed so you need to choose one of them and fully remove the other one as they can conflict with each other and cause issues.

For setting up file and folder exclusions for MBAM for your Anti-Virus please review the FAQ:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

ERROR CODE 5 UPDATE

After scouring, studying, reading and even downloading pages from

the forum I decided I would need to make a plan. Results were very disappointing.

First I removed Malwarebytes using Revo-uninstaller then followed up with

mbam-cleaner. Rebooted and checked explorer for any left over files (none). I then ran

several registry cleaners and removed all orphans and dumped the recycle bin. Then I

uninstalled Avast antivirus totally (same procedures as above).

I rebooted and then shut down and totally disabled Lavasoft Adaware(free),Zonealarm

Forcefield,Zone Alarm Firewall and Scotty Winpatrol. Next, I opened Norton Antivirus and

added the nine items from Mbams instructions to be included in Nortons scan exclusions

and Nortons auto protections exclusions. Then, I rebooted and opened Nortons again and

this time I stopped all services and auto protections including live updates.

I rebooted and then checked my Autostart Manager, msconfig. and Computer Console

Manager /Services and Disabled all services except for necessary Windows XP services.

Rebooted again and checked for any hidden services. There were none except basic XP

needs. Looking good I thought! Only 24 processes showing on Task Manager (usually 44) and

nothing but Task Manager showing in the Task Notification Area.

Rebooted again and things still looked good so I installed Malwarebytes again. Good

install - all folders and files in place. I started Malwarebytes and opened the register

page - completed registering product page and then rebooted again. Next I opened a

totally unprotected web connection and downloaded Malwarebytes update and then shut down

web connection.

Rebooted with min. XP support and started Malwarebytes. I did notice that

mbamservices.exe was listed in my Task Manager. I opened the protection page and hit

START PROTECTION button. PROTECTION started and just as quickly shut down with same

Error.

"ERROR CREATED FILE FAILED WITH ERROR CODE 5"

"MESSAGE PROTECTION STOPPED"

I rebooted and tried again with no luck (same error). mbamservices.exe is listed in

task manager and in Computer Console Manager/Services as Automatic Startup but not

Started. when I right click /all task (start,stop,pause,resume,restart) are greyed out.

Then right click /properties /general shows startup as automatic. Service status shows it

has started and the four radio buttons(start,stop,pause,resume) are greyed out.

Properties /dependencies shows it depends on MBAMProtector, then FltMgr. I have nothing

checked on the protection page at this time in Malwarebytes.

I then tried a little trick. I opened Malwarebytes to the protection page and pushed

the "Start Protection" button then the "OK" window came up like normal but instead on

clicking on "OK" I went to my Computer Console Management/Services page and right clicked

on mbamservice and then hit the start button. It started !! I then went back to the "OK"

window for Malwarebytes and clicked the "OK" button and no error showed up and the

Malwarebytes icon showed up in the tashbar notification area. So far so good. I then

right click on that icon and it showed what I figured to be normal options. I then closed

out Malwarebytes and the tray still shows background services still running. So far so

good. In task manager I have mbamgui.exe and mbamservice.exe running. Now for a reboot

test.

Oh well. After reboot the MBAM Icon showed up in the taskbar tray and then the all to

familiar ERROR window showed up. I clicked "OK" on the Error window and of course the

tray icon disappeared and nothing listed for Mbam in the task manager. Same deal with

Computer Console Manager/Services as Automatic Startup but not Started. when I right

click /all task (start,stop,pause,resume,restart) are greyed out. Then right click

/properties /general shows startup as automatic. Service status shows it has started and

the four radio buttons(start,stop,pause,resume) are greyed out.

I kick started ( I opened Malwarebytes to the protection page and pushed the "Start

Protection" button then the "OK" window came up like normal but instead on clicking on

"OK" I went to my Computer Console Management/Services page and right clicked on

mbamservice and then hit the start button. It started !! I then went back to the "OK"

window for Malwarebytes and clicked the "OK" button and no error showed up and the

Malwarebytes icon showed up in the tashbar notification area.) mbam again and rebooted.

Same deal again, on load it starts and then with error it shuts down protection. I

noticed after I kick start it it works till the next reboot. I checked Computer Console

Manager/ for any recorded problems (Events) but there were non so this is not an XP

problem.

I then uninstalled Nortons Antivirus, Zone Alarm Firewall, ZA Force Field, AdAware

(early I unistalled Avast antivirus) and MBAM totally using Revo-Uninstaller. Rebooted,

ran CCleaner and Norton Utilities, then rebooted then checked for any left over remains.

Looks good, I only have 22 process's in my task manager (shut downs and startups were

very fast) but now my computer is totally unsecure. I then rebooted several more times

while checking for any non XP service's.

I then reinstalled MBAM with no problem. I then rebooted without opening MBAM. Next

restart I opened MBAM and registered my key then updated through a totally unsecure

connection and again rebooted. I opened MBAM and ran a full scan (passed ok) then went to

Autoprotection page and checked "Start on Startup" and pushed Protect button and it gave

me the "OK" box which I clicked then it gave me that old Error Box again. I then

uninstalled MBAM and reinstalled Nortons Antivirus, Zone Alarm Firewall, ZA Force Field.

The only ideas I have, after 22 hours, is maybe I have some service's that I have

disabled in my Computer Console Management/Services page that only MBAM needs.

Any ideas?

Ron,

I think this is what you want to see.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup

SystemPartition Data \Device\Harddisk0\DP(1)0x7e00-0x8a1a69a00+1

If this is not the info you need let me know. I uninstalled MBAM last night if that makes any difference on the sys partition info.

Thanks, Never Give Up MYKEY D

After working with MBAM tech support for almost a week and ERROR#5 problem not resolved yet. Out of all of the computers running MBAM am I the only one getting this error message. Please lead me to the refund line.java script:add_smilie(":(","smid_23")

After working with MBAM tech support for almost a week and ERROR#5 problem not resolved yet. Out of all of the computers running MBAM am I the only one getting this error message. Please lead me to the refund line.java script:add_smilie(":(","smid_23")

ZoneAlarm caused this problem on mine. Removed ZoneAlarm (just installed it trying to see what MBAM-Pro was seeing with active protection) with Revo, then did a system restore from before installing ZoneAlarm. Re-installed MBAM-Pro over the original MBAM-Pro - errors went away.

Your mileage may vary.

Shy

• Root Admin
Ron,

If this is not the info you need let me know. I uninstalled MBAM last night if that makes any difference on the sys partition info.

Yes, that is the reason why it will not load and it never could have on this computer unless it was rebuilt. This has a non default drive setup, however we've created a fix for this in the next version so it should work when that is released.

Ron,

I believe that is a non standard partition on your hard disk, and MBAM does not support it.... If I am wrong, AdvancedSetup or Exile will correct me.

ZoneAlarm caused this problem on mine. Removed ZoneAlarm (just installed it trying to see what MBAM-Pro was seeing with active protection) with Revo, then did a system restore from before installing ZoneAlarm. Re-installed MBAM-Pro over the original MBAM-Pro - errors went away.

Your mileage may vary.

Shy

Ummmm.... sorry, my error code was different.. and I meant MBAM-Registered instead of MBAM-Pro.. Gggrrrr.. couldn't edit my post; sorry for the misinformation.

*sigh*

What do you mean non standard partition. I used Partition Commander to partition a 35gb, 20gb, 20gb and 10 gb partitions on a 84gb stock 4 yr old drive with a total of 184 apps plus a 320gb ext. usb drive with 3 partitions and a 1tb ext. drive with 9 partitions for a total of16 partitions which I have been using for 4 yrs with XP SP3 with no problems till I Paid For MBAM. Its The software !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

During setup of the partition itself a non-default configuration was created:

That's the reason it won't work.

For example, the computer I'm using right now shows this in that registry key:

SystemPartition REG_SZ \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Again, the developers discovered a workaround that allows MBAM to function on configurations like your own where the partition is the way it is in the upcoming version 1.45 of the software. That being said, if you do still desire a refund please contact support@malwarebytes.org explaining the situation and they will assist you in getting one.