Norton Haters

Slam Dunkley

Though we are off-topic, is the beta a new program or to improve it for W7? I didn't really look into it yet, but since ya'll are talking about it...

:(

Nope, just the same ol' mbam with newer enhancements. Will include finer scheduling options and a flashcan to paid customers. Also note that you have to be an Honorary Member to get access to the beta. To become one you need to have made 50+ posts.

Kimsland,

Thanks for this post. It was very helpful to this newbie! I was burned by Norton, thought I was paying for protection, but got infestation of malware(fake antivirus program installed and hijacked the execs--it was called Windows XP Guardian). The malware shut down Norton and tried to get me to purchase its fake program, but I took my CPU to local wizard. He removed malware, removed Norton antivirus(came preloaded just as you said), and installed MBAM and AVG, both free versions.

I had been wondering if I need a firewall(maybe it comes with Microsoft Internet Explorer automatic updates), but based on your post, I think not. I am steamed that I paid Norton for years(no hate, but resentment for loss of time and money).

Really appreciate this forum, I've learned a lot just reading the posts "What do you use for security" and "what is your browser". This thread was just fun because you can feel so helpless when your system is down and your data is locked beyond your reach.

Plus, I resent the idea of having to pay for protection, like a store owner paying for protection from the mafia.

No one needs to purchase an Internet Security package.

Has anyone seen what comes with the popular Norton IS, incredible! No wonder that at anytime Norton may corrupt (that and also being the most popular Trial software on all new OEM computers). Its still the number 1 attacked security manufacturer (other than MS with its tools)

Norton still corrupts. I suppose everyone has forgotten the mere fact of removing Norton on a malware infested computer, when Norton has decided to corrupt so much that the normal removal tools don't even remove it! (Certainly uninstalling it normally is a joke whatever your take)

Windows Firewall has improved, its not like it use to be. There has been thousands of MS Security updates (even better Service Packs that all should update to the latest always)

We now don't need 3rd party firewalls, it is overkill. Unless you are not using your computer normally for browsing downloading on the Net.

I have Windows Firewall on as my only Firewall. But here I am, going all over the Net. Not one issue. (Note: I don't use P2P or download p0rn or chase up illegal software though!)

Anti-Malware should be left to the dedicated providers, not Norton or any other Internet Security package.

Malwarebytes (the best in my opinion) Free or live protecting paid version is 100x (possibly more) than Antivirus packages.

There are other specialized (free) malware removal tools, all far out perform Antivirus packages with Malware support included.

Antivirus only.

This is what should be your Antivirus software. Not + Firewall; + Anti-malware; + Anti Phishing; + the 20 other things that Internet Security packages must continually download and update your Antivirus software everyday.

So, therefore. You just need an Antivirus (only) installed software. You can use other dedicated Malware removal softwares too (I run a quick updated scan with free Malwarebytes most days! It only takes 10mins tops!)

Best Antivirus

Obviously all User opinion, but as stated "My Feeling" in all this. I say just install a free one, that's what I use. Why pay?

In my view FREE Avira is the best (if on 64Bit maybe go Avast!) Free Avira scans and automatically removes ALL known Virus out there. Howmany? >> ALL of them <<

Conclusion

Why in the hec would you pay? Especially for Norton, of which I hate

EDIT

>> Norton Removal Tool

This should be in every Support tech bundle of tools (even just the link to the newest version)

I don't know of any techs that don't have it!

...I resent the idea of having to pay for protection, like a store owner paying for protection from the mafia.

The difference is, the security software companies do not create the infections (with the exceptions of rogue security programs like fake AV's etc that use this extortion technique).

The difference is, the security software companies do not create the infections (with the exceptions of rogue security programs like fake AV's etc that use this extortion technique).

Perhaps too much blame can be laid at the door of Norton AV, but I found out the malware XP Guardian has been out there for at least two years or more. I believe Norton should have had better, more aggressive software for the $$$ I was paying. I'm getting better value for free now with MBAM and AVG, though I would not be adverse to paying if I really got value. Once bitten, twice shy. I know enough to know I don't know enough...or something like that...

I better not go on and on.

But I did mention Free Avira as my preferred Antivirus, I'm also not a big fan of AVG, sorry.

Anyway, everyone has their own choice, including many devoted to paying for Norton :)

Same here. After replacing avg with avast on my dad's computer it worked much better. Although he has MSE, now it's quite faster. :huh: However I prefer MSE over avira.

:)

It was touched on by several users in previous messages.. They (Norton and McAfee) are bloated, CPU hogging inept pieces of software. :) *BUT*, the BIGGEST issue is them not willing to support NON-paying (for support) individuals in the forums, email, etc, et al.

They cater to; and make their BIG $$$; selling, and giving, support to Corporations. Individuals users are a pesky, not-really-necessary, steaming dog pile they act as if they stepped in and can't wait to clean their shoes of..

TRY getting *ANY* kind of support from them that could hold a smoldering candle to the type of FAST, ACCURATE, OWNERSHIP-TAKING, WILLING support you get in forums with companies like MalwareBytes with EXPERTS as well as regular forum users always willing to pitch in and help with a user's problem. And the FIRST words in their messages is *NOT*, "Did you pay for MBAM or are you just a freeloader," BUT, "How can we help?," or "Tell us what we can do to help?"

I've been in computing since 1981 and I know a LOT about which Companies give good support and those that don't. Most recently I finally gave up on Sunbelt's VIPRE (paid user for three years), their paid-for Firewall after a week of usage, and System Mechanic Pro, paid user for 2 years. I've seen more support on MBAM's forum -GOOD support - in the last three or four days than I've seen on my last TEN years' of various programs.

Just my opinion (and proud to verbalize it!) :huh:

Shy

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Minor edit to remove strong language - please remeber to be Family Freiendly when posting - thanks.