Norton Haters

Slam Dunkley

I'm getting sick of people hating on Norton saying it's still a resource hog, it detections aren't that high, even when it does well in tests the haters say the results are fixed, I don't how people can't accept Norton has changed, I've watched various videos where put it up against new threats and it detected most of them, only the odd few made it through.

Norton haters can hate as much as they want, but it doesn't change the fact that Norton Internet Security is a excellent program

Thanks for listening

Slam Dunkley

Norton has indeed changed greatly in the past few years. Detection rates appear to be acceptable and resource usage has improved vastly over previous years. The only real issue I have with the copy of NIS 2010 that I have to deal with at my other job is that there's absolutely no way to disable the Idle Quick Scans. I checked their support forums and others have commented on it as well and the official word is that there's no way to do it which is a real bummer. It's like MBAM trying to force you to run a Quick Scan no matter what scheduling options you select. I guess it's more an AV for the set-it-and-forget-it crowd, not the more technical users like me.

I'll stick with Kaspersky on my own systems :lol:.

Guest remixed
The only real issue I have with the copy of NIS 2010 that I have to deal with at my other job is that there's absolutely no way to disable the Idle Quick Scans. I checked their support forums and others have commented on it as well and the official word is that there's no way to do it which is a real bummer.

I'll stick with Kaspersky on my own systems :lol:.

Yep, corporate monster arrogance, that's why people hate Symantec. Cosy deals with Pc manufacturers to pre-load Norton security products (no mention of the 'trial' status prior to installing). Sure it's detection rates have improved but as the largest consumer security software company on the planet (by a long way) that's the least we should expect. @exile360 regarding unscheduled 'quick scans', this is one of the many reasons why i dumped Kaspersky. I'm no mug but i could see no obvious way of disabling it. Or maybe i couldn't be arsed to look :lol:

Hi - It took a bit to get this info from Symantic for adding exclusions to Norton products -

For Most Norton Products

Add exclusion to Auto-Protect and Risk scan

1 Start your Norton 2010 product.

2 In the Computer pane, click Settings.

3 Under Exclusions, next to Scan Exclusions, click Configure.

4 If you want to exclude a file from scan, under Scan Exclusions, click Add.

5 Browse and select the disk drive or folder or file you would like to exclude and click OK.

If you want to include subfolders within the folder, check Include Subfolders.

6 If you want to exclude a file from Auto-Protect, under Auto-Protect Exclusions, click Add.

7 Browse and select the disk drive or folder or file you would like to exclude and click OK.

If you want to include subfolders within the folder, check Include Subfolders.

8 Click Apply > OK

They didn't seem to like dealing with customers as well as the general public -

Thank You - :lol:

EDIT - @AdvancedSetup -Thanks for your "agreement" with my exclusions processes (Via Symantic site) that I finally found late last year -

- Maybe it can be added to the FAQ section -

it's funny, because these Norton haters don't even have a legitimate reason for hating Norton, you can't say something is crap just because you have to pay yearly for it, or because it has minor annoyance, the most important aspects to look for in a security program are detection, removal and performance(meaning a program that won't cripple your computer).

Features are of little value to me if it is not protecting my computer well

it's funny, because these Norton haters don't even have a legitimate reason for hating Norton, you can't say something is crap just because you have to pay yearly for it, or because it has minor annoyance, the most important aspects to look for in a security program are detection, removal and performance(meaning a program that won't cripple your computer).

hey, dont get me wrong. Norton is an antiviorus program first and foremost and protection is what i look for first. And we both agree norton does a phenomenal job at it.....

But the features help too :lol:

I haven't used Norton in a long time, but the previous versions (2008) I think? was the last one I actually installed or saw in action was a resource hog. And on slower machines, very noticeable. I've been told that v2010 is much lighter on system resources, has a decent scanner engine and actually works as intended... But, I'm not keen on spending money for "yearly" definitions updates. I've been around long enough to remember those were still free for the taking, you didn't have a subscription service.

I don't mind spending money if it's a valid expense, but to me; that wasn't. I already paid x amount of dollars for the software.

Just my 2 cents

Norton Antivirus ( Symantec) is making a BIG comeback! Symantec fell behind the eight ball for years and watched their competition get way in front for years....But now, they want the home user's back. Symantec is working the forums for users that need support now, as I write. Ex: Google "Michael York Symantec" Close your eyes....And let's see 2 years from now. How Symantec, will make a big comeback from now.

Actually I'm not a fan of any paid software unless it's a lifetime license(MBAM,SAS)or free. I hate having to bother with yearly subscriptions, I rather just install something and know I won't have to keep track of dates and such.

I agree....the only time I buy security software is if it's a lifetime license. I have a few one year only software on my machine at times when they are giving it away but that's the only time.

My feeling

No one needs to purchase an Internet Security package.

Has anyone seen what comes with the popular Norton IS, incredible! No wonder that at anytime Norton may corrupt (that and also being the most popular Trial software on all new OEM computers). Its still the number 1 attacked security manufacturer (other than MS with its tools)

Norton still corrupts. I suppose everyone has forgotten the mere fact of removing Norton on a malware infested computer, when Norton has decided to corrupt so much that the normal removal tools don't even remove it! (Certainly uninstalling it normally is a joke whatever your take)

Windows Firewall has improved, its not like it use to be. There has been thousands of MS Security updates (even better Service Packs that all should update to the latest always)

We now don't need 3rd party firewalls, it is overkill. Unless you are not using your computer normally for browsing downloading on the Net.

I have Windows Firewall on as my only Firewall. But here I am, going all over the Net. Not one issue. (Note: I don't use P2P or download p0rn or chase up illegal software though!)

Anti-Malware should be left to the dedicated providers, not Norton or any other Internet Security package.

Malwarebytes (the best in my opinion) Free or live protecting paid version is 100x (possibly more) than Antivirus packages.

There are other specialized (free) malware removal tools, all far out perform Antivirus packages with Malware support included.

Antivirus only.

This is what should be your Antivirus software. Not + Firewall; + Anti-malware; + Anti Phishing; + the 20 other things that Internet Security packages must continually download and update your Antivirus software everyday.

So, therefore. You just need an Antivirus (only) installed software. You can use other dedicated Malware removal softwares too (I run a quick updated scan with free Malwarebytes most days! It only takes 10mins tops!)

Best Antivirus

Obviously all User opinion, but as stated "My Feeling" in all this. I say just install a free one, that's what I use. Why pay?

In my view FREE Avira is the best (if on 64Bit maybe go Avast!) Free Avira scans and automatically removes ALL known Virus out there. Howmany? >> ALL of them <<

Conclusion

Why in the hec would you pay? Especially for Norton, of which I hate

EDIT

>> Norton Removal Tool

This should be in every Support tech bundle of tools (even just the link to the newest version)

I don't know of any techs that don't have it!

Hello everyone,

Just a friendly reminder, as edifying as a good debate is I would just like to remind everyone about rules and common courtesy. A topic of this nature is laregly personal opinion and, as I have seen too often, people can become quite heated and an ugly spiral descending into madness and ridicule is all too easy. I've seen this happen too many times on these kinds of forums. Please review this link on how to behave on a forum....We all need to review these guidelines every so often.

@Kimsland, I agree with you up to a point. I remember the bad old days when Norton was a resource hog and a sucky AV. I feel you there. But Symantec has made a huge leap forward in improving its quality and after 6 years of refusing to try another Norton product, I was pleasantly surprised. Norton is aimed at the casual computer user. People who do not want to be bothered with running a registry cleaner, a firewall, and who do not have the patience/know-how to tune up their computer will enjoy its ease and accessibility. For more technical users, Norton isn't worth the price, but for those lacking the knowledge/patience for cleaning up their cpu, Norton is for them.

A few years ago, I was with you, Norton wasn't worth the price. However, I think the price is worth it. The AV is a stable and reliable product and, also, you're paying for convenience.

It is all a matter of what you want, and how you evaluate the costs.

How did you become an Honorary Member already? You just joined last week! You must be good.

Haha no not really, I just posted a few things here and there. Largely, I became an Honorary Member due to a thread I started and a rather extended collaboration with Exile 360....

Though we are off-topic, is the beta a new program or to improve it for W7? I didn't really look into it yet, but since ya'll are talking about it...

Further off-topic, I play WoW and my account was recently hacked. Though every scanning program I have ran has come up with 0 detections, others insist it was my end and not Blizzard's. Is the beta working differently and could possibly detect something the current one may not?

On-topic, I stopped using Norton not only because of being a huge resource hog for no real reason, it also had some really poor CS for several years.

My first distaste for Norton was 95A issue. Norton sells a "prepare your PC for 95" disk for I think it was $60.00. Well, those of us who bought the disk just prior to the release of 95B we're not informed in any way that the version of Norton on the disk would not work with 95B at all. Instead of pulling the product some 6 months before 95B's release, Norton allowed it to be sold up through the release of 95B. And when we complained en-mass, Norton said "for just $50.00 ($10.00 off the regular price) dollars you can upgrade to the newer version", I started looking elsewhere for my needs.

I had loved some of Norton's support tools, like disk defragmenter, so it was not something I looked forward to. By 2000 Norton was so bloated and wasting so much resources I just dumped my paid subscriptions for less bulky programs.

I am about to check out 360 on another PC through Comcast. I already see that this Comcast version does not allow you to kill the tool bar addon, which could be the fault of either company. I'm also leery about the bells and whistles. I like some other posters am looking for Anti-Virus, not a do-it-all. Guees I'll see how it goes in the next feww weeks.