Evidence Eliminator

vision105

Hi !

A program I have experimented with is marked as Malware incorrectly. The program is Evidence Eliminator - which defeats forensic examinations of PC hard drives with other software (EnCase) and hardware (Fastbloc).

Evidence Eliminator is mainly a Visual Basic program that deletes files, free space and also registry entries which show the presence of files you once had.

From my investigation in to the program, it does not call home (apart from updates), gather information on the computer and contains no virus files, malware files, rootkits etc. It's clean software which does exactly as explained.

When I asked why it was incorrectly classed as Malware I was told by Tom from Malwarebytes that it's because the company had "questionable business practices" when they started out. That was probably because of the affiliate scheme they set up to promote the software - as with anything people misused it and created "pop-ups" to annoy people on websites.

So Malwarebytes has agreed that Evidence Eliminator is not a threat and that it can be added to the "ignore list", but will not mark the program as safe!

That makes me doubt how reliable Malwarebytes really is now if it's a case of, "I don't like that company so will call their program Malware". Not only is it dishonest, but misleading. How many other genuine sites and software manufacturers are being blocked? Is any payment offered or accepted to block certain titles out?

If there is a problem with a process or infected file in Evidence Eliminator, this should be marked only - not the entire program! That is just silly. Imagine how many users download pirated software and find problems with it. It would mean classing all the software titles as Malware. I don't see any other company or software title treated in this inconsistent way.

I was told that Evidence Eliminator will continue to be marked as Malware, even though Tom from Malwarebytes admitted there isn't a problem with it.

If you're doing that, how do we know you don't have another agenda to allow certain files to be ignored? You don't seem able to be trusted!

:)

• Staff
I was told that Evidence Eliminator will continue to be marked as Malware, even though Tom from Malwarebytes admitted there isn't a problem with it.

If you're doing that, how do we know you don't have another agenda to allow certain files to be ignored? You don't seem able to be trusted!

:lol:

I said no such thing, that it was to be continued to be marked as malware saying there wasn't a problem with it.

Please go back and re-read my reply.

Hi !

A program I have experimented with is marked as Malware incorrectly. The program is Evidence Eliminator - which defeats forensic examinations of PC hard drives with other software (EnCase) and hardware (Fastbloc).

Evidence Eliminator is mainly a Visual Basic program that deletes files, free space and also registry entries which show the presence of files you once had.

From my investigation in to the program, it does not call home (apart from updates), gather information on the computer and contains no virus files, malware files, rootkits etc. It's clean software which does exactly as explained.

When I asked why it was incorrectly classed as Malware I was told by Tom from Malwarebytes that it's because the company had "questionable business practices" when they started out. That was probably because of the affiliate scheme they set up to promote the software - as with anything people misused it and created "pop-ups" to annoy people on websites.

So Malwarebytes has agreed that Evidence Eliminator is not a threat and that it can be added to the "ignore list", but will not mark the program as safe!

That makes me doubt how reliable Malwarebytes really is now if it's a case of, "I don't like that company so will call their program Malware". Not only is it dishonest, but misleading. How many other genuine sites and software manufacturers are being blocked? Is any payment offered or accepted to block certain titles out?

If there is a problem with a process or infected file in Evidence Eliminator, this should be marked only - not the entire program! That is just silly. Imagine how many users download pirated software and find problems with it. It would mean classing all the software titles as Malware. I don't see any other company or software title treated in this inconsistent way.

:(

If you don't like the softwear uninstall it and go somewhere else.

By the way go a head and get the

XP ANITIVIRUS 2010.

Lets just see how you deal with that.

Good luck

• 11 months later...