McAfee Vundo Knockdown dragout

DaChew

Looking at your last log I can see that we removed a file that was neither in memory nor had a start point and it removed without a reboot (forced) .

I am sure that you know already but this means that this file and its removal was not the cause of the boot issues .

I am busy now but will check back in to see where you want to go with this .

I apologize for infering that my favorite program broke anything, I have suspected a rootkit for quite some time but nothing was finding or catching it

If the repair disk does not work I will be moving the hard drive to my computer to retrieve data, I will have subs disinfector open before opening the drive, if anyone wants me to save any files before I format I will be glad to, I have not deleted anything from any quarantine

right before running the MBAM scan I had installed spybot and sd helper and immunized and ran a scan and got one vundo related file/value

I disabled a couple of suspicious addons in IE7 and unchecked 2 or 3 exceptions in windows firewall, one of which was limewire which i thought had been uninstalled

I am a freshman over at MRU and I do a lot of maleware fixes for friends and clients and have used the MBAM for a few months

In this case I decided to document the fixes and try to understand the process better, that's why I used MBAM first, what I need help on, is have I screwed up some dependencies by not using vundofix or sdfix?

thank you

Thank you for the response, as a student I am expected to fix my own problems in a shadow log but not allowed to use advanced tools, understandably. This is a friends computer and I was afraid it might need combofix, I have run every tool I can including rootkit scanners and it's beginning to look like a shell error. AFAIK I am breaking no rules by posting a HJT log here as long as it's not mine.

The other tools found a few items, I was hoping if someone here more experienced in reading MBAM logs saw something critical they would advise.

thanks again

I am running kasp online scanner on a badly patched OS right now

I think I have found the original infector in the limewire data folder

it's 117KB nero7ultimateiso.zip ??

I will upload to jotti to make sure all this is not in vain and for my own understanding

I have decided to delete the primary partition, do I need to write zeros to the drive?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER REPORT

Friday, April 18, 2008 4:04:13 AM

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 5.0.98.0

Kaspersky Anti-Virus database last update: 17/04/2008

Kaspersky Anti-Virus database records: 712987

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan Settings:

Scan using the following antivirus database: extended

Scan Archives: true

Scan Mail Bases: true

Scan Target - My Computer:

A:\

C:\

D:\

E:\

Scan Statistics:

Total number of scanned objects: 28825

Number of viruses found: 4

Number of infected objects: 7

Number of suspicious objects: 0

Duration of the scan process: 00:36:34

Infected Object Name / Virus Name / Last Action

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\036c18d48c34864b5ebd494f8ceb4ebc_8abe1c70-78a9-4e6a-acd3-2ec5402e8b9c Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\3c91260f5be7267fcce324f75d813ca1_8abe1c70-78a9-4e6a-acd3-2ec5402e8b9c Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\6ca220cb92738373cc259a472f03251e_8abe1c70-78a9-4e6a-acd3-2ec5402e8b9c Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\a473726ba1d83f5e37b28261635c4dc4_8abe1c70-78a9-4e6a-acd3-2ec5402e8b9c Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\f41d0e63d35c08b9786da644069e2bb5_8abe1c70-78a9-4e6a-acd3-2ec5402e8b9c Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\ffb4b45090e03b81d624675fcbbd70da_8abe1c70-78a9-4e6a-acd3-2ec5402e8b9c Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Quarantine\QUAR1.53780 Infected: Trojan.Win32.VB.cng skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Jordans Music\dead men walking.mp3 Infected: Trojan-Downloader.WMA.Wimad.n skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Jordans Music\highvoltage.mp3 Infected: Trojan-Downloader.WMA.Wimad.n skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Jordans Music\Nero7 Premium v7.5.02 iSO.zip/Setup.exe Infected: Trojan-Downloader.Win32.VB.dck skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Jordans Music\Nero7 Premium v7.5.02 iSO.zip ZIP: infected - 1 skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Jordans Music\report card soulja boy tell em.mp3 Infected: Trojan-Downloader.WMA.Wimad.n skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\MSHist012008041820080419\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\hpodvd09.log Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\~DF5C8A.tmp Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\~DF5C95.tmp Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\AntiPhishing\B3BB5BBA-E7D5-40AB-A041-A5B1C0B26C8F.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase Object is locked skipped

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{7329998B-A789-4944-93C5-D5FD94CAB080}\RP1\change.log Object is locked skipped

C:\VundoFix Backups\iifgEttr.dll.bad Infected: Packed.Win32.Monder.gen skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Debug\PASSWD.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\SchedLgU.Txt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\Sti_Trace.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\edb.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\tmp.edb Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\AppEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Internet.evt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SecEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SysEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system.LOG Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\h323log.txt Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.BTR Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.MAP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING.VER Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING1.MAP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING2.MAP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.DATA Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.MAP Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\wiadebug.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\wiaservc.log Object is locked skipped

C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log Object is locked skipped

Scan process completed.

Scan taken on 17 Apr 2008 23:57:27 (GMT)

A-Squared Found Trojan-Downloader.Win32.VB.dck

AntiVir Found TR/Dldr.VB.dck

ArcaVir Found Adware.Virtumonde.Ic

Avast Found Win32:VB-FXE

AVG Antivirus Found Dropper.Generic.VUZ

BitDefender Found Trojan.Downloader.VB.VOT

ClamAV Found Trojan.Downloader-26456

CPsecure Found Troj.Downloader.W32.VB.dck

Dr.Web Found nothing

F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing

F-Secure Anti-Virus Found Trojan:W32/VB.BJQ, Trojan-Downloader.Win32.VB.dck

Fortinet Found W32/VB.DCK!tr.dldr

Ikarus Found Virus.Win32.VB.FXE

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found Trojan-Downloader.Win32.VB.dck

NOD32 Found probably a variant of Win32/TrojanDropper.VB.NAI (probable variant)

Norman Virus Control Found W32/DLoader.GBUP

Panda Antivirus Found Bck/VB.ABN

Sophos Antivirus Found Mal/Generic-A

VirusBuster Found nothing

VBA32 Found Trojan-Downloader.Win32.VB.dck

Scan taken on 18 Apr 2008 00:01:07 (GMT)

A-Squared Found nothing

AntiVir Found TR/Dldr.WMA.Wimad.N

ArcaVir Found nothing

Avast Found nothing

AVG Antivirus Found nothing

BitDefender Found nothing

ClamAV Found nothing

CPsecure Found nothing

Dr.Web Found nothing

F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing

F-Secure Anti-Virus Found Trojan-Downloader.WMA.Wimad.n

Fortinet Found nothing

Ikarus Found nothing

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found Trojan-Downloader.WMA.Wimad.n

NOD32 Found nothing

Norman Virus Control Found nothing

Panda Antivirus Found nothing

Sophos Antivirus Found nothing

VirusBuster Found nothing

VBA32 Found nothing

Looking at your last log I can see that we removed a file that was neither in memory nor had a start point and it removed without a reboot (forced) .

I am sure that you know already but this means that this file and its removal was not the cause of the boot issues .

I am busy now but will check back in to see where you want to go with this .

I have thought about this and what else I did and I can not say I agree with your analysis

that file was missed in numerous scans earlier, every time I did some thing to this infection it was like peeling another layer on an onion, I think I touched a deep nerve that last fix