Start up manager and bloating software

Alright, time to bring out the big guns :lol:.

First, uninstall Adobe Reader, then do the following:

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Delete the following folder:

• C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater6

Now do the following:

New Adobe Reader Installation:

• Please click here to download the latest version of Adobe Reader.
  • Save this file to your desktop and run it to install the latest version of Adobe Reader.
  • Now open Adobe Reader by clicking Start>All Programs>Adobe Reader 9
  • Read and accept the License Terms and when Adobe Reader loads click Help at the top and select Check for Updates...
  • Install any updates that it finds, allowing it to close Adobe Reader if it requests to do so
  • Delete the installation file as it is no longer needed.

Please let me know if it is now able to update normally or not.

Sorry, but it seems updater 6 is just not there. I even copied and pasted the file path you posted (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater6) into the address bar and windows gives me a notice saying it cannot be found.

I then followed the file path directly and when I get to the adobe folder (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe), there is no file called updater anything. I then checked the folders in the adobe folder (which are backup, caps, and installers) and its simply not there. Should I just delete the Adobe folder and go from there?

Thanks. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hello again :lol:

Please do the following:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @echo off
    dir "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe" /a /s>"%userprofile%\desktop\Adobe.txt"
    "%userprofile%\desktop\Adobe.txt"
    del /f /q "%userprofile%\desktop\Adobe.txt"
    del /f /q %0

Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...

• In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file AdobeCheck.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.
  • Once it finishes it will open the file it created in notepad, please copy and paste the file's contents into your next reply.

Hello agai, I did the proceedure as you asked and your results are:

nothing....

I can assure you I followed your guidelines exactly multiple times and nothing came up. At the comman prompt it says "the system cannot find the file specified" and a notepad document opens up which is blank...

I'm going to try again and if the results actually come up I'll be sure to post them here

AHHHH IT WORKED!!!

i copied the code wrong...being sleep deprieved does not help whenm it comes to this ort of thing....

my apologies

Volume in drive C is OS

Volume Serial Number is 68E5-B24D

Directory of C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe

12/03/2010 09:42 AM <DIR> .

12/03/2010 09:42 AM <DIR> ..

05/11/2009 02:49 PM <DIR> backup

05/11/2009 02:49 PM <DIR> caps

05/11/2009 02:49 PM <DIR> Installers

0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\backup

05/11/2009 02:49 PM <DIR> .

05/11/2009 02:49 PM <DIR> ..

28/05/2009 02:11 PM 43,008 caps.db

1 File(s) 43,008 bytes

Directory of C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\caps

28/05/2009 02:11 PM 43,008 caps.db

1 File(s) 43,008 bytes

Directory of C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Installers

28/05/2009 02:10 PM 75,973 Adobe Photoshop CS4 11.0 05-28-2009.log.gz

1 File(s) 75,973 bytes

Total Files Listed:

3 File(s) 161,989 bytes

11 Dir(s) 171,248,082,944 bytes free

Alright, I think I found the cause as well as the solution :):

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and open the Network and Sharing Center
  • Click on Change adapter settings
  • Right-click Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter and select Disable
  • Try updating it again to see if it now works

Apparently you're not the only Windows 7 user with this issue :(.

Hello again byte_king :)

I have a list of entries for you to disable, should you discover that you require any of them to run at startup in the future all you need do is open Autoruns and re-check the box to the left of the desired entry:

Disable Autostart Entries Using Autoruns:

Please open Autoruns.exe again and allow it to perform its scan. Once it finishes please proceed with the following:

• Click on the Logon tab and click the checkbox on the left side of each of the following so that they are unchecked:

• BDRegion brs (Verified) CyberLink c:\program files\cyberlink\shared files\brs.exe Note: Only disable this entry if you do not watch any Blu-Ray DVD's on your computer
    • dellsupportcenter Dell Support Center Updates (Verified) Dell Inc. c:\program files\dell support center\bin\sprtcmd.exe
    • PDVD9LanguageShortcut PowerDVD Language Application (Verified) CyberLink c:\program files\cyberlink\powerdvd9\language\language.exe
    • PDVDDXSrv CyberLink PowerDVD Resident Program (Verified) CyberLink c:\program files\cyberlink\powerdvd dx\pdvddxsrv.exe
    • RemoteControl9 PowerDVD RC Service (Verified) CyberLink c:\program files\cyberlink\powerdvd9\pdvd9serv.exe Note: Only disable this entry if you do not use a remote control for controlling PowerDVD
    • msnmsgr Windows Live Messenger (Verified) Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\windows live\messenger\msnmsgr.exe Note: You will still be able to start MSN Messenger manually if you wish to use it, this just prevents it from running at startup, it's startup can also be configured via the settings in MSN Messenger itself instead of using Autoruns if you wish

[*]Once that is complete, restart your computer.

Now you can disable some unneeded services so please do the following so I can see which ones are running:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @echo off
    net start>"%userprofile%\desktop\services.txt"
    "%userprofile%\desktop\services.txt"
    del /f /q "%userprofile%\desktop\services.txt"
    del /f /q %0

Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...

• In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file <insert file name>.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.
  • Once it finishes it will open the file it created in notepad, please copy and paste the file's contents into your next reply.

Hi There

when i run a desk check i get the following - can you please check what it could be

Checking file system on C:

The type of the file system us RAW.

AUTOCHK is not available for the RAW drives.

Windows has finished checking the disk.