Startup and Performance Tweeking

Hi stevenandbelinda,

There are many different programs that can manage startup items and such. I use WinPatrol which does more then that, but it if you want something more on the performance side go for Ccleaner. Ccleaner also cleans out your junk files that can help increase performance. :)

• Staff

Hello again :)

Ready to get started? Lets go ahead and get a fresh Autoruns log to start with, and I'll go through it and tell you what can be safely disabled to increase system performance and decrease your system boot time :)

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.
  • Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

Hello again :)

Ready to get started? Lets go ahead and get a fresh Autoruns log to start with, and I'll go through it and tell you what can be safely disabled to increase system performance and decrease your system boot time :)

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.
  • Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder

Hello again,

I'm in the process of tuning up my computer as well, but I'm not sure what startup programs to take off. Mind having a look for me as well? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

• Staff

Hello again steveandbelinda :lol:

I apologize for taking so long. I didn't realize you'd already posted your Autoruns log. I'm reviewing it now and will post back shortly with a list of items to disable as well as further steps for you. The posts after yours must have thrown me off so I missed that you'd uploaded it already.

Thanks for your patience :lol:

• Staff

First off, lets make sure that everything is up to date:

• Click on Start>All Programs>Adobe Reader 9
  • Click on the Help button and select Check for updates
  • Install any updates found

Uninstall Programs:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall the following if found:
    Note: If Java 6 Update 18 is the only Java version present then don't uninstall it. Just uninstall any other Java versions. The same applies to Adobe Reader 9.3, uninstall all versions besides 9.3

• Adobe Reader
    • Java

If Java 6 Update 18 was not installed at all then please do the following:

New Java Installation:

• Click here to visit Java's website.
  • Scroll down to Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 18. Click on Download.
  • Select Windows from the drop-down list for Platform.
  • Select Multi-language from the drop-down list for Language.
  • Check (tick) I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 License Agreement box and click on Continue.
  • Click on the jre-6u18-windows-i586-p.exe link to download it and save this to a convenient location.
  • Double click on jre-6u18-windows-i586-p.exe to install Java.

Disable Autostart Entries Using Autoruns:

Please open Autoruns.exe again and allow it to perform its scan. Once it finishes please proceed with the following:

• Click on the Logon tab and click the checkbox on the left side of each of the following so that they are unchecked:

• Adobe ARM
    • Adobe Reader Speed Launcher
    • SunJavaUpdateSched
    • MSMSGS Windows Messenger Note: Only disable MSN Messenger if you do not want it starting automatically, you can still start the program manually if you wish via Start>All Programs.

[*]Click on the Internet Explorer tab and click the checkbox on the left side of each of the following so that they are unchecked:

• Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper
    • JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class

[*]Right click each of the following entries and select Delete:

• SSVHelper Class

[*]Click on the Scheduled Tasks tab and right click each of the following entries and select Delete:

• Ad-Aware Update (Daily 1).job
    • Ad-Aware Update (Daily 2).job
    • Ad-Aware Update (Daily 3).job
    • Ad-Aware Update (Daily 4).job
    • Ad-Aware Update (Weekly).job

[*]Once that is complete, restart your computer.

Now please do the following:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @echo off
    net start>"%userprofile%\desktop\services.txt"
    "%userprofile%\desktop\services.txt"
    del /f /q "%userprofile%\desktop\services.txt"
    del /f /q %0

Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...

• In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file Services.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.
  • Once it finishes it will open the file it created in notepad, please copy and paste the file's contents into your next reply.

I can't seem to find SSVHelper Class. I did everything except for finding and deleting that file in AutoRuns. Here is the info from the bat file you had me create:

These Windows services are started:

##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##

Application Layer Gateway Service

Automatic Updates

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Bluetooth Support Service

COM+ Event System

Computer Browser

CryptSvc

DCOM Server Process Launcher

DHCP Client

Distributed Link Tracking Client

DNS Client

EPSON V3 Service2(03)

Event Log

Fast User Switching Compatibility

Help and Support

Intuit Update Service

IPSEC Services

Java Quick Starter

Microsoft Antimalware Service

Network Connections

Network Location Awareness (NLA)

NVIDIA Display Driver Service

Plug and Play

Print Spooler

Protected Storage

Remote Access Connection Manager

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Secondary Logon

Security Accounts Manager

Security Center

Server

Shell Hardware Detection

SSDP Discovery Service

System Event Notification

System Restore Service

Task Scheduler

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Telephony

Terminal Services

Themes

WebClient

Windows Audio

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Windows Management Instrumentation

Windows Time

Wireless Zero Configuration

Workstation

The command completed successfully.

• Staff
I can't seem to find SSVHelper Class.
That's alright, it was likely removed when you uninstalled your old versions of Java :lol:.

Disable a Service on XP:

• Click on Start and click Run
  • In the run box type services.msc and press Enter
  • Once the Services window opens, scroll down the list until you find the Java Quick Starter and double click on it
  • Click the Stop button to stop the service from running, then click the drop down menu next to Startup Type and select Disabled
  • Click the Apply button and click on Ok
  • Close the Services control panel

Keep your system updated:

Microsoft releases patches for Windows and other products regularly:

• I advise you visit Microsoft Update
  • Install the Active X
  • Once installed it will recommend that you turn on Automatic Updates if not set and you then you will be able to manually check for updates also via:
  • Start >> All Programs >> Microsoft Updates
  • Install any critical updates that are available then reboot when it asks you to
  • Return to the site again to check for more updates and install them
  • Repeat this process until it says there are no important updates to install

Reset System Restore in Windows XP:

• Click on Start and right click on My Computer and select Properties
  • Click on the System Restore tab
  • Click the box next to Turn off System Restore (Note: if it is already checked then leave it that way and proceed to the Create a fresh Restore Point part of the instructions)
  • Reboot your computer

Create a fresh Restore Point:

• Once you've rebooted from the previous step click on Start and right click My Computer and select Properties
  • Click on the System Restore tab
  • Click the box next to Turn off System Restore to enable it again
  • Reboot your computer
  • Once your PC is booted again click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Click on Performance and Maintenance (Note: if you do not see Performance and Maintenance listed click on the Switch to Category View link on the left pane of the window)
  • Click on System Restore on the left pane of the window
  • Once the System Restore interface opens select Create a restore point and click on the Next button
  • In the Restore point description: box type Clean Restore Point and click on the Create button
  • Once it says Restore Point Created click on the Close button

Download CCleaner from here to clean temp files from your computer.

• Close all open internet browser windows
  • Double click on the ccsetup file to start the installation of the program.
  • Select your language and click OK, then click Next.
  • Read the license agreement and click I Agree.
  • Click Next to use the default install location. Click Install then click Finish to complete installation.
  • Double click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.
  • On the Windows tab, under Internet Explorer, uncheck Cookies if you do not want them deleted. (If deleted, you will likely need to reenter your passwords at all sites where a cookie is used to recognize you when you visit)
  • If you use Firefox or any other Mozilla browsers, the box to uncheck for Cookies is on the Applications tab, under Firefox/Mozilla.
  • Click on the Options icon at the left side of the window, then click on Advanced.
    uncheck Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours.
  • Click on the Cleaner icon on the left side of the window, then click Run Cleaner to run the program.
  • Caution: It is not recommended that you use the Registry feature unless you are very familiar with the registry as it has been known to find legitimate items for removal, which can cause issues with other programs.
  • After CCleaner has completed its process, click Exit.

Defragment Your Hard Drive:

• Click on Start and right-click My Computer and select Manage
  • Click on Disk Defragmenter on the left
  • Click once on your C: drive and then click on the Defragment button
  • Please be patient as this may take a while
  • Once it completes you may close the window

Restart your computer and then do the following:

Create another Autoruns log:

Delete the attachment of the previous Autoruns.zip file you uploaded by clicking My Controls at the top of the forum page and then clicking Manage Your Attachments on the left.

Then delete the Autoruns.arn and Autoruns.zip files from your desktop and run Autoruns again:

• Double click Autoruns.exe

Also let me know how your PC is running now.

• Staff

Excellent :lol:

Do you use Bonjour by Apple? If you don't or you don't even know what it is or what it does, then you can safely disable it. It's a network service for Apple devices, not required for using your iPod, iPhone or other Apple devices :lol::

Disable a Service on XP:

• Click on Start and click Run
  • In the run box type services.msc and press Enter
  • Once the Services window opens, scroll down the list until you find the Bonjour Service and double click on it
    • Note: It may also be called ##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##

[*]Click the Stop button to stop the service from running, then click the drop down menu next to Startup Type and select Disabled

[*]Click the Apply button and click on Ok

[*]Close the Services control panel

Do you still have Ad-Aware installed?

If not, then you can also do the following:

Delete Autostart Entries Using Autoruns:

Please open Autoruns.exe again and allow it to perform its scan. Once it finishes please proceed with the following:

• Click on the Boot Execute tab and right click each of the following entries and select Delete:

• lsdelete

[*]Once that is complete, restart your computer.

After that, please let me know how things are running and if you have any further questions or issues.

Wow, yes it loads faster, shuts down faster. World of difference. Thank you.

Can I ask a question without sounding like I am taking advantage? If so, here goes. I know this stemmed from the MWB problem. My wifes laptop has got MWB on it also, and runs without any problem, but computer is getting very slow. Is there any way that we can do this with her computer also? She uses it for playing her games, and doing school work (elementary teacher). I just thought that I would ask, and totally understand if we can't.

Steve