JEDACE

I am running a HP G60-418CA Laptop

Windows 7 Home Premium

Intel T4200 2.0GHZ

4GB RAM

320GB HD

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free version 1.44

Virus Database Version 3835

I installed LAME MP3 Encoder, And later on ran a quick scan it showed two items:

I know the first (Hijack.DisplayProperties) has been reported as a false positive

But i am not sure if the second (lame_enc.dll) is a false positive or not could someone let me know?

(Norton and Avast! both detect Nothing)

Here is the log file (it is also attached)

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 102198

Time elapsed: 11 minute(s), 28 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 1

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken. [99D040AEE155C12EB025D41F2DD365C3]

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\Program Files (x86)\lame_enc.dll (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> No action taken. [25E532D2BE5CF38AEB7CE2537B409DB3]

mbam_log_2010_03_08__01_58_35_.zip

Greetings JEDACE and welcome to Malwarebytes :P

You can safely have MBAM ignore the first detection as that is the default setting in Vista and 7 x64. As for the second, it's likely being detected because it is in the root of one of the Program Files directory. No executables or individual files are supposed to be stored there, they're supposed to be within individual program folders. If you did a manual or custom install of the codec and registered it in that location then I'd highly recommend unregistering it and then moving it into a new folder within the Program Files (x86) directory then scanning again and MBAM will likely not detect it.

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks Exile360 :)

I Set MBAM to ignore Hijack.DisplayProperties which I forgot to do last time I scanned my computer.

I then checked where I had installed LAME; and you were right I had installed the files directly to my: Program Files (86x) Folder.

I then moved the files to a subfolder and rescanned. The results were clean :P

Thank you for your help and a quick and timely response.

You're very welcome :P

Please also make sure that your audio/video applications that rely on the LAME MP3 Codec are still functional, if they are not then you'll need to unregister and re-register it so that the registry loading points for it will indicate the appropriate location where you have the actual codec stored.

If you require any further assistance please post.