IS IT TIME FOR XP TO FADE?

Slam Dunkley

Support for XP XP3 ends April, 2014, luckily for people like me who can't afford a new computer for a while yet... (and frankly, I don't really want one for a little while, although a computer with more RAM and UAC would be great! I wanna play the Sims3, hehehe, but I do not have enough RAM for that.. lol).

@ Buttons

Sorry I missed this before - yes! A firewall is a MUST! But XP and later include one, so this is good :)

Edit: Windows 2000 might include one as well, but I am not positive on this.

It's a basic one and I wouldn't rely on it. Only blocks stuff from getting in and won't help stop spreading if already infected.

it's good how everyone is giving their opinions, I bought up this topic because I'm giving away free copies of Windows 7, but seeing how people are happy with XP, it might not be necessary

I might be interested. Which version of windows 7? Also 32 or 64 bit?

I too would be interested in a legal copy of Windows 7; if it's 32bit. I don't have any 64bit hardware..

I've been playing with Windows 7 on a friends PC for a little while; I might if i'm lucky have 12 hours in it so far, and I like what I see.

Someone told me it would run better on the same hardware than XP; and I'd like to give it a try.

thanks for your consideration.

The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor is a good tool to have to see if your system is capable of running Windows 7:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1B544E90-7659-4BD9-9E51-2497C146AF15&displaylang=en

I ran it on my XP Pro system and decided I'd stay with XP there.

Windows 7: 64 bit vs 32 bit?

http://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-64-bit-vs-32-bit-t484.html

I purchased a system that was capable of running Win7 64-bit and really like it.

I just noticed this thread, and I am running(32bit) XP Pro SP2.

I have a spare drive on a custom build which has nothing on it...at the moment.

I would be very interested in a version of Windows 7 to try in dual boot mode.

Thanks for your consideration. :(

Simply but, Absolutely Not!

Time for Vista to fade, yes.

Since 2000 was too much like NT, XP was needed. Where ME could have killed Windows, XP certainly saved it. XP was also there to carry Windows along through the darkness of Vista.

XP has earned it's badges and should be kept going until the very end, when it is impossible to run it on the future hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

Get Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en

I ran it on my XP Pro system and decided it would be best to save for a new system for Windows 7 and now that I have it I really like it.

Hey guys, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I gave my copies to some friends of mine, I'm going to get some more soon, so be patient. there will be 10 copies I will be giving out. Byte King is reserved for a copy, his place is secure, everybody else will be a random pick by me.

ps: (No Malwarebytes workers sticking their ores in, you can watch but I don't want you commenting, this is for normal people)

Well support for XP SP3 does end April 2014, so just keep that in mind everyone.

I've run ever version of Windows since 1.0 (DOS 6 earlier) except WinSERVER and I got my free copy of WinXP while at a M$ Event in Ft. Lauderdale right before watching the planes go into the twin towers on Sept 11. I ran that copy (on 3 successive computers) with all updates until I got a new computer (dual core/32bit) in Dec, 2007 that had Vista on it. I never had a problem with using Vista and its UAC and didn't even consider downgrading it to WinXP.. I got my wife a dual core Dell x64 in 2009 that had Vista on it but a free upgrade to Win7. I took advantage of the free upgrade and she is running Win7 64 bit and I'm currently running Vista Home Premium 32 updated this AM. I don't use a lot of the fancy graphic stuff on Vista and my speed is acceptable. I agree; WinXP was a comfortable friend; especially after WinME and such; but time and technology moves on. :)

Shy

It's also when it can be afforded....

However, I did get bored with XP recently (suffered a bit of an XP overload), so I tried out Vista again, which I got when I was in college. I actually have to say that it is a nice change from XP (Vista w/ SP2). It is fun to see how it works.... (I'm running it on a Dell Mini 9 that originally came with XP/Ubuntu.)